Recommendations for internet in Spain this winter? (1 Viewer)

muddywellies

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Varies in Europe
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy under 6m.
Exp
A MH virgin - but not for long!! ;-)
I am currently around Munich (very wet and too cold), before heading west and south to Spain/Portugal for my winter migration. I have no land line or internet link in the UK. But I want to use my laptop online for a couple of hours daily. What are peoples' recommendations?
Migration? My mother's maiden name was "Bird" and I think that it's no coincidence. :) Thank you all in anticipation

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We use a Carrefour Data Solo (data only) SIM. This works on the Orange network. It costs 1 euro a day for 100Mb of data at full speed. It then drops to 128 bps. Cost is 3 euro per week if unused. This can be purchased for the larger Carrefour stores in Spain (not in France).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am currently around Munich (very wet and too cold), before heading west and south to Spain/Portugal for my winter migration. I have no land line or internet link in the UK. But I want to use my laptop online for a couple of hours daily. What are peoples' recommendations?
Migration? My mother's maiden name was "Bird" and I think that it's no coincidence. :) Thank you all in anticipation
If you want to properly migrate then you will have to follow the storks down to Gibraltar and hop over to Africa! Although I suspect the storks from Germany probably go via the Bosphorous, but sadly following their route will take you to some decidedly unfriendly places these days. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Get a Mifi...
£25 from Argos, if you have family / friends they could get one and post out to you.
Can be unlocked for 99p with a code off ebay. Then just buy a local Data sim when you need it.
Several available for Spain and sure same applies for Portugal.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Previous years I find a wander around any town will reveal a small phone shop with a choice of data sims to go in my mifi device. Normally around 10euro for 2GB a month, which is enough for me. Top up online. Each year it's been a different data provider but all have had good coverage. This year my Three simple covers Spain so will use that, it's been giving good service in France so far.

OP
OP
muddywellies

muddywellies

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Varies in Europe
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy under 6m.
Exp
Thanks for your replies. But perhaps I have lost the plot here. I was asking about internet access for my laptop. And I understand SIM cards are a phone thing am I wrong? I was thinking that I would need a USB-based piece of kit. Am I wrong or is my misunderstanding the terminology here? Please clarify. Thank you.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
You will need a SIM card in either device, probably a DATA SIM rather than a phone SIM. Specifically for downloading Data and not for making phone calls

A USB stick such as the one from Carrefour contains a SIM card and plugs into the laptop

A MIFI also takes a SIM card, but it is like a mobile phone in that it has a rechargeable battery, but it creates a WIFI that you connect to. Best method if you want to connect more than one device.

Earlier this year, in Spain, we used a MIFI and Lebarra SIM, bought the SIM from the local computer/phone shop

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
We were in Spain for 6 weeks this year and we used Vodafone which cost us 10 euros for 10 days and it was 1.2Gb. We had it in a phone and could hotspot it to other devices. We were very happy with the coverage. Equates to a euro per day. We used it when WiFi was not available. We never used the data up in the allocated time.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you get a MiFi unit you put the data card in that.
The unit then becomes your own personal WiFi hot spot and you can use your laptop, tablet or what ever you like to access the internet via it.

OP
OP
muddywellies

muddywellies

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Varies in Europe
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy under 6m.
Exp
A MIFI unit? Whats that? Looks like I need to visit a laptop store when I get over there and do some homework. Thanks guys.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
where r u heading in spain if u are in benidorm come see me pitch 698 el raco will take to paul in market get u sorted

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Better still. . Just search these forums... oodles of advice and experience

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have used a Vodafone Spain SIM in dongle and mifi units. They have alternative tariffs and the best deals used to be 10 Euros/month for IGB which is adequate for email and light browsing or, alternatively, a 'visitors' SIM which was about 19 Euros and lasted 3 months. However, I have checked their web site for the current offers.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here's one type of mifi.
Amazon product ASIN B00BBP3W3KThere are many different models, some very expensive. Mine was about £40 but you can plug an external aerial into it (£10) and this can make a big difference in marginal areas. You can get 4g versions as well but on payg I am not convinced being able to get data very quickly is a good thing! You might click on a video by mistake and before you know it your allowance has gone. 3g is fine for general web browsing.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are you going to stay on sites .. ?
If so, many now have wifi.. and there are plenty of free wifi around towns..

personally never used a data sim .. but then again.. not bothered about the net while away .. if we have it.. fine.. if not.. no worries.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
A lot of Ex Pats here in Spain use this company who speak English and have great rates. You can call in any agents or do it on line and they post out sim or mifi and sim ( I recommend you get your own mifi ) none the less good value.
Broken Link Removed
and if you don't want to buy it rent it:
Broken Link Removed

Below is a review of the company
http://www.coastrider.net/lifestyle...52-masmovil-more-mobile-for-smart-expats.html

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Broken Link Removed
i use one of these . picks up wifi from quite away . bit hit or miss but is ok . doesnt need a sim . there are alot of free wifi out there.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Broken Link Removed
i use one of these . picks up wifi from quite away . bit hit or miss but is ok . doesnt need a sim . there are alot of free wifi out there.
Thanks for that Alan, just ordered one!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use one at home as well.
sometimes in spain villages allow 30mins a day.
or airports allow similar.
we park close to them sometimes . these lick up over quite a distance so inder the flight path etc works fine .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you go with 3 in the UK they allow use in Spain (and 17 other countries) using the allocation on your contract at no extra charge. I have a 3 SIM in a MiFI on PAYGO and also a contract SIM in my phone (£8 a month) which also allows tethering (unfortunately my phone doesn't have the facility to tether but it would be OK with 3 if it did)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
If you go with 3 in the UK they allow use in Spain (and 17 other countries) using the allocation on your contract at no extra charge. I have a 3 SIM in a MiFI on PAYGO and also a contract SIM in my phone (£8 a month) which also allows tethering (unfortunately my phone doesn't have the facility to tether but it would be OK with 3 if it did)
It does not allow tethering any more from any phone but mifi so ok, as people abused it so 3 remove it, even the contract version ( we have contract version )

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
I use a pay as you go Lebara SIM card in a MiFi and get 3gb for 25euros a month, quite often the small back street shops will not charge for the card. If you only want 1gb I think the cost is 8 euros a month.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It does not allow tethering any more from any phone but mifi so ok, as people abused it so 3 remove it, even the contract version ( we have contract version )

Thats odd as I took out a contract only 10 days ago and it says tethering is allowed. I haven't tried it though as my phone doesn't do tethering.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I have the iphone and as soon as I turn on tethering and then use ipad, computer I get a screen stating '"tethering not available' page". This is outside UK within UK it's fine.

Last edited:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

I have both 3 UK PAYG data SIM in a mifi and also a 3 UK contract SIM in my 'phone. Recently in Brittany the PAYG SIM was working fine but the contract SIM 'phone was usually telling me No Network even when the devices were side by side in the MH. I have put the problem with the contract SIM down to a crap Chinese 'phone (not going to mention brand name due to the probable forum backlash) :cautious:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I have both 3 UK PAYG data SIM in a mifi and also a 3 UK contract SIM in my 'phone. Recently in Brittany the PAYG SIM was working fine but the contract SIM 'phone was usually telling me No Network even when the devices were side by side in the MH. I have put the problem with the contract SIM down to a crap Chinese 'phone (not going to mention brand name due to the probable forum backlash) :cautious:
If you are on the 1 Plan contract according to the web site you should be able to use data, but many on 3 are complaining about this "hidden cap"

OP
OP
muddywellies

muddywellies

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Varies in Europe
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy under 6m.
Exp
It looks like mifi is the way to go for my needs. On the MIFI question are they transferable in different countries? So if I buy my own unit in Portugal will it also work in Spain when I get there?

I also have an exotic directional antenna which will most likely work well with my own mifi unit. I will keep an eye out for units like yours or similar (DBK). Thanks. I have crossed from Munich. Currently getting rained on heavily in Vagueira, Portugal. Hope to be heading south to Algarve today and Spain next month. Thanks Don Quixote, Masmovil seem to be the guys to go for locally in Spain once I get there. Pleasantly surprised by just how much the basic daily camp rate plunges to out of season = I paid 5.36 Euros last night!! Electricity is an extra 3.5 Euros if required.

Reactions: DBK

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm hoping to use my 3 payg sim card in my phone in Spain next month, It's been great in france, a bit slow and knocks you of frequently but at least I don't have to search out wi fi.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back