Bl**dy Ebay! (1 Viewer)

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
We are currently selling our Allegro, and i have just spent two hours putting it on ebay only to be told right at the end where i pay that i need a landline number to confirm my identity, being fulltimers though, we don't have a landline!
have mailed ebay to ask what to do but had no reply, anyone had experience with this? i can't be the only person in the uk to use ebay without a landline!

:Angry:
(and i tried the direct debit thing as well as paypal, but it said the same)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

If you subscribe to Skye you can have a landline number of your choice, costs about £2 a month for unlimited landline calls in the UK .. that's what I did :winky:
I seldom use the mobile now..

Jim

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
can't help with eBay unless you would like me to act as an agent to sell it. I am a registered agent with ebay. But have you advertised it on here yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi

If you subscribe to Skye you can have a landline number of your choice, costs about £2 a month for unlimited landline calls in the UK .. that's what I did :winky:
I seldom use the mobile now..

Jim

Tell us more, please Jim

We have a Sky TV contract - how do we go about getting a landline? Does it actually need a BT type landline or do you get some kind of signal through your dish?

Problem with being where we are - no overhead lelephone lines are allowed so if we could get a Sky (landline) of some sort, it would presumably mean we could get Sky plus?

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Tell us more, please Jim

We have a Sky TV contract - how do we go about getting a landline?

Problem with being where we are - no overhead lelephone lines are allowed so if we could get a Sky (landline) of some sort, it would presumably mean we could get Sky plus?

oops .. bad typo .. should be SKYPE .. sorry Dick :Blush:

OP
OP
H

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
Re

thanks for the replies everyone, didn't really want to get a landline just for the sake of ebay, got a pretty good deal with my mobile. i can use my familys landline when we visit next month if i still haven't sold it.
and yes it's on here, but not had any interest yet, i must be doing something wrong!

:cry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks for the replies everyone, didn't really want to get a landline just for the sake of ebay, got a pretty good deal with my mobile.
:cry:

Hi

perhaps you misunderstood ..?

when you subscribe to SKYPE you get a virtual landline, not a real one but to all intents and purposes it is the same, when you join you select the area code of your choice .. ,
for example my Skype land line is: 020 3239 XXXX (which is a London area code). calls to UK landlines are unlimited for about £2 per month ..

Jim

Edit

apart from ebay, it is useful for other companies who insist on a land line number.

Last edited:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
you could liase with your family, or a friend to get the ebay id thing sorted,

if it's the same thing i had to do with them a while back, they ask for your landline number, then give you a code, and they ring the number, when you answer an automated voice tells you to enter the code, you do that on the keys, job done, your verified as being areal person in england, and wont have to do it again.

only problem is the number will be shown on your ebay contact details, so choose a friend who can say 'sorry he's not in right now, e-mail him or ring the mobile number' if someone calls the number to ask about the motorhome

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Don't bother with E-Bay, I bought some led lights through them and since then they have bombarded me with junk mail, what a load of tossers !!!!:Angry:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ebay is good to get your advert out to millions of people, unfortunately half of those people are proffesional time wasters or w*nkers,

but when ever i want to buy something, i always check out ebay, i havent read any shop notice boards of papers advert sections for years.

OP
OP
H

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
Re

i'n not a fan of ebay at all but appreciate that a lot of people use it so it's good for the exposure, as far as landlines, i was kind of aware of skype but i think getting an account just for the sake of ebay is pointless as i'd never use it after that.
for now going to try the other internet sites and maybe caravan trader or similar.

oh i miss proper paper and ink....! :Smile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Don't give up on it. Ebay is the right place to sell this kind of car though interest will depend a lot on its condition and known history.

You could always try it on AutoTrader where you could set a higher asking price, but would be entirely dependant upon someone actually looking for and wanting an Allegro.

The other alternative i would suggest is to contact Allegro Club International

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
oops .. bad typo .. should be SKYPE .. sorry Dick :Blush:

Aha, I was about to bang off a post asking the same thing (As we have a Sky subscription) :ROFLMAO:

Just for the benefit of others in addition to SKYPE there is also VOIPBUSTER which I have just started using and it costs 1p a minute for calls to anywhere in the world and some countries (e.g. USA are free) 'tho there is a set up call charge.

I'm still trying to work out the way they charge as there are something called 'free days' which at the moment I don't fully understand :Blush:

But it's cheap I can tell you that, put 10Euro on a month ago and still not used it all despite calling UK, Germany, Holland a fair number of times :Smile:

Going back a few years it used to be that SKYPE was only for 'puter to 'puter but now you can call landlines, mobiles, anyone.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I once sold a old Renault 5 on ebay. Never again. It had failed its MOT and was our run around so rather than just scrap it I stuck it on Ebay. First buyer won it for £160. I was delighted. He then called me to say it was too far to come without even seeing the car. I filed a unsold items dispute but somehow cocked it up and ebay took the money anyway as if it was sold. Tried again and guess what? Same thing happened again except the winning buyer this time just didnt get in touch or answer any requests. Ebay took the money again. Third time it sold for £100 by this time Ebay had taken 3 lots of fees totaling nearly £100! Granted I think I did something wrong but trying to get any sense out of Ebay or contacting them is just impossible. In the end I was so frustrated I instructed my bank to take back the selling fees for the first two sales. Then ebay paid attention. I knew it would be a waste of time but as I couldnt see any other way of getting any sense out to them I didnt know what else to do. Of course they pursued me for the money and threatend me with court action so in the end I just paid it back satisfied to some extent that I had at least given them some hassle back. Was that the end of it? Oh no. Depsite Ebay now having 3 lots of selling fees totaling what the car eventually sold for they hired a debt collecting company to pursue me for the money again! I kept telling them that I had actually paid it back. I sent them copies of the statements and dates showing the payments, it would go quiet for a while and then it would all start again. I did some research online and it seems Ebay employ some rather unscrupulous debt collectors. They were rude, threatening and on one call they actually said "Right we will send somebody round" and promptly hung up. I couldnt beleive it. Nobody came of course and if you hunt around online you will find loads of people who have experienced this kind of treatment and the outcome is that eventually they give up. I knew I had paid the money back and in the end just kept telling them to go away. Eventually they did and I havent heard anything for a couple of years now.

I appreciate that some of this was my fault in that I clearly did something wrong but when this happens you cant contact Ebay and get an answer or any real help and you can never call them and speak to a person to sort it out.

I only ever sell small items now such as books or stuff I can post once payment has been received.

It seems its all stacked in the buyers favour. I recently sold a new Sony phone which I got for free from Vodafone. Knowing there were some dodgy people on ebay I kept watching the bids right to the end and there were two bidders that were putting stupid bids in and winning. There feed back was appauling and it seems they were scammers who had no intention of actually buying the item. Why they do this I have no idea, what do they achieve by bidding £1000 for a phone and then just not buying it? Luckily as I was watching I retracted their bids and stopped them from bidding.

Sorry rant over.

I would use Autotrader if I was you

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I once sold a old Renault 5 on ebay. Never again. It had failed its MOT and was our run around so rather than just scrap it I stuck it on Ebay. First buyer won it for £160. I was delighted. He then called me to say it was too far to come without even seeing the car. I filed a unsold items dispute but somehow cocked it up and ebay took the money anyway as if it was sold.

Tried again and guess what? Same thing happened again except the winning buyer this time just didnt get in touch or answer any requests. Ebay took the money again. Third time it sold for £100 by this time Ebay had taken 3 lots of fees totaling nearly £100! Granted I think I did something wrong but trying to get any sense out of Ebay or contacting them is just impossible.
Obviously you were doing something wrong as you should not have been charged fees for an unsold item.

I agree that 'navigating' eBays help and support is totally mind numbing and frustrating. Over the years the site has got increasingly cluttered and far too complex....mainly as a result of trying to keep one step ahead of the various con merchants who abuse ebay.

Somebody on this forum once posted a landline phone number which eBay use. Like yourself, i had a gripe about something so decided to call this number (it's not a premium rate either), and spoke with a guy who listened to my complaint. It turned out to be very worthwhile. I had been charged £15 commission on an item i refused to sell to the buyer as he had failed to comply with my terms of payment which i had clearly stated. I also had evidence that 'the buyer' was carrying out fraudulent activity.

Ebay suspended his account and emailed me a £20 voucher to use against any purchase. So don't give up entirely on ebay....it could even be worth contacting them to discuss your complaint. £100 is a lot to lose.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Never mind Ebay costing someone a fortune - Motorhomefun has just cost me a small fortune.

All to do with Skype - I made the mistake of asking ScotJimLand what it was all about - the missus became very interested and today I have just had to shell out for a Skype landline plus Europe calls at about £5 per month PLUS £50 for a Skype telephone and another £50 for a video camera for the computer so that she can see her brother on video link! :Eeek:

Have a good mind to switch to 'Facts from now on - cheaper at £10 per year :Blush:

OP
OP
H

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
Re

I think there's a bit of confusion as to what we're selling, it is NOT an Austin Allegro, it is a Tiffin Allegro 32ft american RV!
it's in the classifieds on here...
:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never mind Ebay costing someone a fortune - Motorhomefun has just cost me a small fortune.

All to do with Skype - I made the mistake of asking ScotJimLand what it was all about - the missus became very interested and today I have just had to shell out for a Skype landline plus Europe calls at about £5 per month PLUS £50 for a Skype telephone and another £50 for a video camera for the computer so that she can see her brother on video link! :Eeek:

Have a good mind to switch to 'Facts from now on - cheaper at £10 per year :Blush:

Hmm maybe I should look for a tele sales job .. :Cool:

did I mention the Skype commission I'm on ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

glad you got it all sorted Dick.. just think on the brownie points you've earned :thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Obviously you were doing something wrong as you should not have been charged fees for an unsold item.

I agree that 'navigating' eBays help and support is totally mind numbing and frustrating. Over the years the site has got increasingly cluttered and far too complex....mainly as a result of trying to keep one step ahead of the various con merchants who abuse ebay.

Somebody on this forum once posted a landline phone number which eBay use. Like yourself, i had a gripe about something so decided to call this number (it's not a premium rate either), and spoke with a guy who listened to my complaint. It turned out to be very worthwhile. I had been charged £15 commission on an item i refused to sell to the buyer as he had failed to comply with my terms of payment which i had clearly stated. I also had evidence that 'the buyer' was carrying out fraudulent activity.

Ebay suspended his account and emailed me a £20 voucher to use against any purchase. So don't give up entirely on ebay....it could even be worth contacting them to discuss your complaint. £100 is a lot to lose.

Thanks for that. The point is I couldnt contact ebay. You just go around and around in circles sending emails and you get a standard response. If you have an actual number where you can speak to someone at Ebay then can I suggest you share it with us all as someone may find it useful if they are as Kack handed as me with the selling process and then get ripped off. I still dont understand why people will bid silly money for a laugh for stuff and then not pay for it though.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
it is NOT an Austin Allegro
:ROFLMAO:

good luck with the sale :)

I have been on ebay for about 6 years, and only one item of the hundreds I have brought/sold, ever caused an issue (and i got my money back)

quite honestly, I couldn't live without ebay..

I must have been lucky...

feedback is about 600 with one negative left and one gained..

Anything from £1 items, to Rv's bikes, cars - brought and sold

no junk mail ever either..

John

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I thought it was an Austin Allegro as well. Thought it was funny advertising one on here!

I wasnt going to say anything but I thought it was bad enough us flogging a knackerd old Renault 5 let alone an Allegro

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
what was it Top gear said...

they have a lower coeffiecient of drag going backwards rather than forwards :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

strange things, akin to a Maxi, which my dad had once, and I had the embarrassment of being dropped off at school in
:cry::ROFLMAO:

the tiffin, on the other hand, I like :) I almost brought one but the guy was asknig £19K! this was 1991 model! I almost got a huge loan, so glad I didnt...

Last edited:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I appreciate that some of this was my fault in that I clearly did something wrong but when this happens you cant contact Ebay and get an answer or any real help and you can never call them and speak to a person to sort it out.

This is absolutely disgusting :Angry: I have never used E-bay and I don't think I ever will. I did once look at their site and like you say nowhere, I repeat nowhere does it give a telephone number where you can contact them.

I posed the question on Dogsey and was told they are in California, well as we all know there are loads of crooks in Califonia and most of them must work for E-bay :ROFLMAO:

I really get annoyed when people take the mickey like these t*****s are doing. So you weren't totally familiar with all the rules and procedures but how the hell are you supposed to get familiar with them ? There are no 'lessons' on their web page. there are no live help desks that can tell you what you've done wrong, they don't answer e-mails (I know this 'cos I've e-mailed them several times asking questions) they just take the pompos arrogant view that their FAQ's answer everything...............well they don't, they are liars and cheats and I hate the lot of them.....................phew feel better now :ROFLMAO:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thanks for that. The point is I couldnt contact ebay. You just go around and around in circles sending emails and you get a standard response. If you have an actual number where you can speak to someone at Ebay then can I suggest you share it with us all as someone may find it useful if they are as Kack handed as me with the selling process and then get ripped off. I still dont understand why people will bid silly money for a laugh for stuff and then not pay for it though.
Its on this board somewhere in a thread relating to eBay. I don't have the number at hand so i'm afraid you will need to search for it!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ebay

020 86053000

and

020 86053028 law enforcement hot line ( whatever that is)

Fax: 020 86053001

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I thought it was an Austin Allegro as well. Thought it was funny advertising one on here!

I wasnt going to say anything but I thought it was bad enough us flogging a knackerd old Renault 5 let alone an Allegro
Hmmmmm.....I wouldn't be so quick to poke fun.

Hobson may well be the one having the last laugh.

Believe it or not, there are so few Allegro cars around now they are becoming collectable. Find one in mint original condition and you will be looking at an appreciating asset. How many shiny new cars (motorhomes even!) can you say that about?

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I used to work for a classic car garage in Somerset..

they used to pick up some amazing cars, 'stored from new, hardly used, in a barn from the day he got it, then he died' said the wife....

talking 4000 miles from new, Austin VDP 1300's and so on.. I remember the japs payed many thousands for that one.. :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back