Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
What unusual superstitious sayings and their meanings do you remember growing up?
My gran used to say if you stitched a garment while wearing it, including sewing on a button, you were "sewing sorrow to your back" and should take the garment off first.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I had a habit of crossing my eyes ( I was obviously a very strange child) and my mother old me if the wind changed I'd stay cross eyed.
I can remember thinking there was no reason for that to happen.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Trust not the man who's eyebrows meet, for in his heart you will find deceit. (It's not true, Thats why I shave Mine)

If you bite your tongue whilst eating it means you have recently told a lie. (Mmmm Proberbly)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Always go out of the same door you came in otherwise you will have bad luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If you seen a ambulance you had to say

Touch your collar never swallow until its out of sight. ( otherwise you would be the next one in it) :rolleyes:

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Never to put new shoes on table, step on a crack, walk under a ladder or open an umbrella indoors - they all brought bad luck.

Happy days!
Yes but do you know why? What supposed to happen if you open the brolly, walk under the ladder etc... I still can't put new shoes on a table :eek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I had warts all over my fingers when I was 16.

Met a gypsy in a pub and he charmed them.

Not had a single wart since.

Coincidence? Maybe, but I had them about 3 years and they were gone in 2,weeks.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If you are outside and see a new moon,put your hand in your pocket and keep turning the coins over while you make a wish,that will come true

To see a new moon through glass is unlucky
Plus all the above.
Tea Bag

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
If you drop a glove, you cannot pick it up yourself.

You cannot come in to a house via the front door and leave by the back unless you've sat down!!!

Don't hang a horseshoe with the open end down, the luck will run out.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My mum told me if I sucked my thumb it would never grow and I'd end up with one big thumb and one little thumb. She obviously wanted to scare me into stopping.

I solved the problem by sucking both thumbs in even measures so they'd be the same size.

Parental Lies 0, Child Logic 1

My neighbours told me if I watched 'too much' telly (ie they watched hardly any) I'd end up with square eyes. Bastards - I was a trusting child and believed them. I used to check my eyes in the mirror at regular intervals. They ended up getting divorced after hubby had an affair, so their enthusiasm for telling lies caught up with them in the end :).

What is that utter shite about leaving a fork in the top of an opened champagne bottle to keep it fizzy overnight? My missus believes that. I prefer to drain the bottle before bedtime.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sew rags to your back, sew sorrow to your bones. Don't wear green on friday 13th( my school uniform was green so Dad would be on edge all day). Always go out the door you came in otherwise you would take their luck. Don't have a green car. Don't take snowdrops indoors or someone will die. Don't walk under ladders and oh so many more, growing up with my Dad and Gran was quite terrifying!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
my gran would not allow the blossom off the hawthorn tree in the house... i still dont know why.

also she would say that if you put a jumper on back to front by mistake it was bad luck to take it off to turn it around; still to this day if i put a T shirt on the wrong way I find myself removing my arms and turning it around while still around my neck rather than risk taking it completely off....:doh::doh:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
@magicsurfbus Re snowdrops, it was very specific, it was the person who was given the bunch of snowdrops who would die if they took them inside. As "proof" someone gave my Gran a bunch when she was in hospital, she was horrified and gave them to another lady and they both died!

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@magicsurfbus Re snowdrops, it was very specific, it was the person who was given the bunch of snowdrops who would die if they took them inside. As "proof" someone gave my Gran a bunch when she was in hospital, she was horrified and gave them to another lady and they both died!
I took some snowdrops home for my grandma. The same day she heard her bil had died. My dad said he died because I took the snowdrops home. Not picked any since.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
  • Never begin a voyage on a Friday
  • If you whistle in the shower you'll never marry
  • (and on boats, banannas are bad luck)

The problem with all this hocus pocus is that if something bad happens you never know whether it's because you walked under a ladder, broke a mirror, or it's Friday 13th, but, even though most of us don't believe any of it, why take the risk!?

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
Never have a clock face towards the fireplace
We moved into a new house when I was 12, my dad died 48 hours later!

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
And the relevance to motorhomes is......?

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
And the relevance to motorhomes is......?
Don't buy a green one on Friday 13th.

Sorry if I upset you and put this thread in the wrong place:(

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back