Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
After our last three months away we came home to a car with a flat battery, that was parked in front of the garage that had the charger in it and the brakes (despite handbrake being left off) were stuck so I couldn't push it back to get in the garage! Fortunately I borrowed a charger and an overnight sorted it.

Just wondering what others do? I'm thinking about getting one of these so called 'Smart Chargers', but don't particularly like the idea of it being on for such a long time. Considering disconnecting battery, spraying WD40 all over brakes and discs etc.

What do we all do?

Dave

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We left two cars in the garage when we were away for two months the Smart does not go out in the rain so not worried about the handbrake but smart charger on the battery, the other is automatic so never pull the handbrake but again smart charger on battery.

No problems.

If you are going to park up for a long period try get the brakes hot before you park it up as this will help dry them out and then cover the wheels to stop rain driving in, leave it in gear but handbrake off.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I've got a good fitting cover for it this time that does cover the wheels which may help keep the driving rain out. The battery is in the boot, I can get a cable in by taking out one of the rubber bungs. Any recommendations on Smart Charger?
Dave

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Aldi have one on offer this week.. about £14

I bought one last year for the same purpose.. great little charger

Broken Link Removed

Cheers Jim...I'll get off this keyboard and get down to ours!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I use the C-tek XS 0.8 which will maintain a battery up to 100ah, the Smart Roadster battery is difficult to get to so I have fitted the trailing lead and plug that is an option (comfort connect) the other is easy to connect to the jump point under the bonnet and then shut the bonnet down. You can get extension leads for the comfort connect so possibly allowing the charger to stay under cover.

Martin

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Cheers Jim...I'll get off this keyboard and get down to ours!

Another vote for the Aldi smart charger - bought one this time last year when it was on offer - works perfectly. Ideal through winter.

However, no need to race off to get one just yet - the offer doesn't come up until Thursday morning (22.10.15) and they are unlikely to be in store at the moment.

Mike

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Both cars with C-tek (connected via the cigarette lighter), brakes off, chocks front & back, SORN the MX5, don't SORN the A2. Generally away about 3 months. Never a problem. (Both cars in a garage.)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
After our last three months away we came home to a car with a flat battery, that was parked in front of the garage that had the charger in it and the brakes (despite handbrake being left off) were stuck so I couldn't push it back to get in the garage! Fortunately I borrowed a charger and an overnight sorted it.

Just wondering what others do? I'm thinking about getting one of these so called 'Smart Chargers', but don't particularly like the idea of it being on for such a long time. Considering disconnecting battery, spraying WD40 all over brakes and discs etc.

What do we all do?

Dave

What ever you do,please don't put WD 40 on your brakes!!!
You will never get it off,if you permanently damage the pads and make them unusable!!
C tech chargers are brilliant for long term storage.I have 4 of them on the go all the time.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I have one of Broken Link Removed in a car at my dads, its in the window, not even pointing south and its kept the battery charged for a year and a half, winter an all. (y) pretty sure I paid a bit less than this about £26;)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Have been leaving a car regularly and us a trickle charger to keep the battery alive. Even in the garage with the hand brake of our Matiz would have a brake seizure.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
it used to be recommended that you disconnect the battery when charger was connected is that still recommended?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it used to be recommended that you disconnect the battery when charger was connected is that still recommended?

no need with a modern smart charger..

I use my Aldi charger on my Honda CRV during winter and when we go away.. no ill effects .. just a fully charged battery

Deleted User
Been back a week from our 3 month jaunt.

The car started first go, which really surprised me. The brakes were a bit noisy for the first mile or so, but the car passed its mot so they can't have been too rusty.

I thought I'd got away without any ill effects on the car until I tried to start it at the MOT station - the battery was totally fubared (wouldn't even power the central locking) the garage jump started the car and when I got home I dropped the voltmeter across the battery. 14v when running, 9v as soon as I switched the engine off.

£70 for three months standing isn't too bad (the battery was an original on an 08 car)

I think I'll disconnect the battery when we leave for warmer climes in Jan.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Garages have a terrible habit of not putting copper grease on the brake workings when changing brake pads, that's one of the reasons for brake squeal. I'd ask your garage or mechanic to prepare the brakes for a long lay off, after all you did the right thing leaving the handbrake in the off position. As advised elsewhere please do not put WD40 anywhere near the brakes or you'd almost certainly come a cropper.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My car tends to be left at the MH storage facility when we go away for a few months. It is a Discovery that are a bit notorious for battery drain when parked for long periods. There is no EHU at the store.
I find a 10w solar panel from ebay on the roof, connected to the permanently live pins on the towing electrics keeps every thing fine Broken Link Removed Mine was only a tenner. With a max output of around 500mA there is no need for a regulator.
I also put the suspension into access height (i.e. as low as it will go) as this prevents the suspension from periodically re-levelling.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Good one Baldeagle. I was beginning to think no-one was going to mention it.
WD40 is basically an oil so it should never come into contact with brake pads, brake shoes, drums or discs or you will lose braking efficiency.
Thoroughly cleaning it off is difficult and all pads and shoes would have to be replaced because they would soak up the oil.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My car tends to be left at the MH storage facility when we go away for a few months. It is a Discovery that are a bit notorious for battery drain when parked for long periods. There is no EHU at the store.
I find a 10w solar panel from ebay on the roof, connected to the permanently live pins on the towing electrics keeps every thing fine Broken Link Removed Mine was only a tenner. With a max output of around 500mA there is no need for a regulator.
I also put the suspension into access height (i.e. as low as it will go) as this prevents the suspension from periodically re-levelling.

We did precisely the same thing with our L322 Range Rover which had so many electrical systems that were in so called sleep mode but still used battery power. The solar charging plus making sure the sliding parts of the brake system were well coated with copaslip & the job was a good un.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Aldi have one on offer this week.. about £14

I bought one last year for the same purpose.. great little charger

Broken Link Removed

Well I've got myself one of these, I'm just not entirely happy about leaving it going for three months, probably the ex fireman in me! I was thinking about putting a timer on it so it comes on for say 15 mins a day? or screwfix sell a weekly programmable timer @ £7.99 that I could set to come on once a week for an hour or so?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Well I've got myself one of these, I'm just not entirely happy about leaving it going for three months, probably the ex fireman in me! I was thinking about putting a timer on it so it comes on for say 15 mins a day? or screwfix sell a weekly programmable timer @ £7.99 that I could set to come on once a week for an hour or so?

Is a timer not as likely to go up in flames as the charger?

Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back