internet access (1 Viewer)

K

Kimr

Deleted User
We are in NZ now but will be over there by the end of the year. We need to have interent access while stionery anywhere - so we can work. Can anyone tell me about the best and cheapest satelite product.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
welcome to the FUN...

cheapest option in the UK is a USB internet Dongle.
annual/monthly contract or pay as you go.

a small modem similar in size to a USB Memory stick/flash drive.
uses the mobile phone system at speeds of 56kb to 3mb depending on signal strength.

satellite internet is very expensive.
the Alden Netmaster 90 dish and modem is around £4000....($ NZ 10000)
plus an annual subscription .

(info collected from internet so not sure how accurate)

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
Buy a 3 network dongle,currently £30 pay as you go to use ,top ups are £10 £15 or £25 monthly,you can let it die ie not top up for up to a year, and re enliven it by topping up again, so you can travel out of England and re use it on return if you choose.No contract no hassle, you could sell it on when you have no longer need of it too. A dongle is a small device which you plug into an u s b port on your computer, laptop.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Depends where in the UK you will be going - if you're going to be in the 3 coverage area then they are pretty good. Problem with 3 is that if you go outside their 3G area then you have no access. With other providers (e.g. Vodafone, O2) the connection reverts to EDGE or GPRS when 3G isn't available (albeit with quite a slower connection).

Upvote 0

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
O2

I have found '3' to be universally slow and poor coverage - I think it is supposed connect up to Orange network but mine does not.

My BT O2 gets a signal everywhere that my pgone does and is very fast - compared to '3'

BW

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Just recently done the dongle thing with Vodaphone on a Pay-As-You-Go basis. The initial package cost £39 which included a 1GB package (worth £15). The coverage seems to be quite good (presumably everywhere a Vodaphne mobile works). If you need to top up all you need to do is go to a Vodaphone shop or some other outlet that sells top up cards and purchase a £15 top up voucher (other values won't work with the Mobile Broadband). There is no time limit for usage (with 3 the top up is only valid for a month whether it's used up or not), the only requirement is that you go on line every three months to prove usage.

So far I'm pleased with it - though connection speeds can be slow in fringey areas.

John

Upvote 0

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Mobile Phone

I recently received my mobile phone upgrade from o2, a Sony Ericsson W995 It has Internet capability GPRS, wI-fI ,all the Bells and Whistles £25.00 per month, I connect this to my lappy via the USB and the job is done!!!
With the Wi-Fi capability I can sit in any Hotspot and connect through the phone and all for FREE ::bigsmile: (WELL £25.00 PER MONTH) :Blush:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are in NZ now but will be over there by the end of the year. We need to have interent access while stionery anywhere - so we can work. Can anyone tell me about the best and cheapest satelite product.

Are you impressed ?

Six weeks, eight replies and not one answered your question :)

However, if you type "satellite broadband" into Google you will get 590,000 UK hits that might answer your question. There will be a cheapest but none cheap.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back