Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Simple question, why did the stable door bite the dust?

We have one on our mid 90's MH but wandering around modern ones, none have stable doors, I find ours very useful, especially having a dog, he can't get out but can be nosey. It also makes the van seem a bit bigger.

Is it a security thing?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Less draughts and cold spots.

Possibly not that many peeps want it.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Agree that's one thing I would really like on my van, I do wish it was a option.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our old MH had a large window in the hab door that opened up , so a similar thing. Handy in the winter if someone came a knocking for something do you didn't gave to open the full door.
Any ways , because of us liking this , we made sure we put a big sliding window in our PVC door . That way we only have to open the window , not the whole thing, if someone comes a knocking.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One of the things we do like about the Autotrail is a window that slides right down in the door.
Not as good as a split door but better than nowt

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Is it not something to do with the fact that MHs now have to have burst proof doors in case of an accident, and stable doors don't meet the criteria ?
I could be wrong but I am sure an informed person will know for definite and tell us.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am sure an informed person will know for definite and tell us.

nothing more certain.. except death and taxes..

Jan and I had this discussion not so long ago.. handy when you have two pooches..
a gate is my next project (so I am informed:rolleyes:)

came to the conclusion they were possibly a security risk as they were easy to jemmy open.. ?

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I would imagine that central locking would become much more complex if the door was in two parts also adding to the costs of manufacture in terms of hinges, door bits and installation and lining up of it all.

We used to like our stable doored Bessacarr Caravan but a much simpler less secure door than that of a MoHo.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have too dogs & don't like having the doors closed. We use a piece of gardening trellis (the flimsy wooden variety that can be concertinaed). A piece of shock cord from one of the upper pivots to an appropriate lower pivot keeps it trying to expand. Took about 30 minutes to modify (mainly lightly sanding the sharp bits). It fills the lower half of the doorway & is only 6" wide when folded.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Had one on our caravan and in 14 years of use I don't think we ever split it, but we don't have a dog.

Martin

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
One of the things we do like about the Autotrail is a window that slides right down in the door.
Not as good as a split door but better than nowt
(y) Totally agree also very handy when your 'fun' paperman delivers.......... and you still in your jocks ;) thanks @REKERLY :ROFLMAO: where would we be without you.:clap2: :clap2:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Is it not something to do with the fact that MHs now have to have burst proof doors in case of an accident, and stable doors don't meet the criteria ?
I could be wrong but I am sure an informed person will know for definite and tell us..
I don't get that as MH do not carry people in the Hab bit during driving so the door flying open will not lose passengers and you cannot say the doors are Structural either. My door is just the bit they cut out with a bit of seal around it, two hinges and a silly lock tha doesn't do much.

OP
OP
J

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I don't get that as MH do not carry people in the Hab bit during driving so the door flying open will not lose passengers and you cannot say the doors are Structural either. My door is just the bit they cut out with a bit of seal around it, two hinges and a silly lock tha doesn't do much.

You do if there's more than 2 of you in the MH, or if one of you decided to sit in the back.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011

Eh? My old Hymer can take four in the Hab area (two facing backwards and two with seatbelts in the dinette).

I presume that they could fall out of the door but they'd have to jump into the kitchen area first, over a 3' workbench. Which is unlikely.

I use the stable door all the time, love it, despite not having a dog. Just feels right, especially, but not exclusively, when cooking.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK there might be only two of you, but what if you are cooking dinner or on your way to the toilet whilst travelling on the Autoroute?:D

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010

Er, I believe lot's of MHs carry passengers in the hab area, hence the requirements for rear seat belts now.

I don't know the age of your MH, so can't comment on it specifically, but my cousins Autotrail, which is a few years older than ours, has a stable door and ours doesn't.
As you rightly say, they are a flimsy affair and wouldn't stop you falling out.
Whereas the one on ours is very solid and closes positively, like a car door would.

I think this is a fairly recent piece of legislation, ie six or seven years ago, hence not all MHs have this type of door.
As I said previously, someone who knows for sure will no doubt tell us.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We have too dogs & don't like having the doors closed. We use a piece of gardening trellis (the flimsy wooden variety that can be concertinaed). A piece of shock cord from one of the upper pivots to an appropriate lower pivot keeps it trying to expand. Took about 30 minutes to modify (mainly lightly sanding the sharp bits). It fills the lower half of the doorway & is only 6" wide when folded.
I really miss the stable doors too and the K9 gate wouldn't be suitable.

We have an inbuilt magazine rack in the door and our hab door just has a gas strut to hold it open........slightest bit of wind and it slams shut. I wonder if the expanding trellis would work (as a dog gate) as it may be flimsy enough to not cause a problem.....

@tonyidle .....I don't supose you have any pics how you secure the trellis please?

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back