Hymer Duomobil - thoughts/experiences of please (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We saw a Hymer Duomobil recently and I was wondering if anyone has experience of this MH?

We particularly liked the design for just two people - which is what we are. At the moment we have a bed over the cab plus the main bed - we use the main bed, so we've taken the mattress out of the other and use it for storage but really its not needed.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Nice (y) love all the little storage nooks and crannys and the head rest, might have to try and do summit like that for my van:cool:

Sorry no help for you though:doh:

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Hi
We took delivery of our duomobil in May this year and toured Europe for three months within two weeks of delivery.
It suits us fine a well thought out van in our opinion,like yourself we had the drop down bed over the cab in our previous Burstner that got hardly any use at all so for us the duomobil layout was a no brainer.
After adding a few extras (as you do) we are well happy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hi Wilder,

Thanks for the info - glad to hear you're enjoying your new vehicle!

How do you find the sleeping arrangements in the bed? One of the reasons we're changing is because ours has two singles with an infill. I understand that you can sleep both ways in the Duomobil with extension foot ends. Do you have the extensions? If you do does it make a large double? The infill on ours goes about 2/3rds of the length of the bed so we find that really we're both sleeping either side of it rather than moving to the middle and sleeping together... if that makes sense?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quite a few manufacturers starting to do it now and it is a nice layout. I like sitting behind the big front window of an A class and watching the world go bye so might miss that with the rear lounge. Also loose a bit of garage so not for us on that point alone but it is a nice van to lounge in, and a big kitchen.

I think it was Frankia also had one at the NEC and we first saw the idea at Dusseldorf two years ago with the Hymer duo and Phoenix RSL models.

Concorde a doing something similar with the new Cruiser daily 792RL.

Broken Link Removed

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Wilder,

Thanks for the info - glad to hear you're enjoying your new vehicle!

How do you find the sleeping arrangements in the bed? One of the reasons we're changing is because ours has two singles with an infill. I understand that you can sleep both ways in the Duomobil with extension foot ends. Do you have the extensions? If you do does it make a large double? The infill on ours goes about 2/3rds of the length of the bed so we find that really we're both sleeping either side of it rather than moving to the middle and sleeping together... if that makes sense?

Hi

Our Flair was two singles with the infill but not sociable enough for us so I converted the bedroom to a transverse double, on ours the slatted bed bases were separate so it was quite easy to remove so of the original woodwork and remake it with a very good match, the bed bases and mattress are exactly the right size.

We now have a nice double bed with easy steps up to it, it's in a bigger room than the transverse option would have given us so we have a little bedside chest either side with a built in draw for trinkets.

Just an idea.

Martin

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
No issues with the sleeping set up we use it mostly across over but the extensions are there if the mood takes us.
Without the extensions we find the bed large enough anyway.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I hadn't seen the Concorde before - it looks very interesting. Its a pity the dealerships are so far apart, it would be lovely to be able to view them all at the same location!

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hi

Our Flair was two singles with the infill but not sociable enough for us so I converted the bedroom to a transverse double, on ours the slatted bed bases were separate so it was quite easy to remove so of the original woodwork and remake it with a very good match, the bed bases and mattress are exactly the right size.

We now have a nice double bed with easy steps up to it, it's in a bigger room than the transverse option would have given us so we have a little bedside chest either side with a built in draw for trinkets.

Just an idea.

Martin

Hi Martin,

That's an interesting idea! Sadly our MH isn't as big as yours and we feel we need more space otherwise we'd probably do a similar change.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I hadn't seen the Concorde before - it looks very interesting. Its a pity the dealerships are so far apart, it would be lovely to be able to view them all at the same location!

Dusseldorf next year if you can wait.

Somebody said they were going to do the same on a Carver.

Martin

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
How do you get through from the cab area to the back when the front bed is not down as have never seen pics without the bed being down at the front. When travelling etc.
Looks a lovely van and maybe in a year or so there maybe one or two on the 2nd hand market or if I can justify it a new import one or similar.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When the bed is up it's just like any other I think.

Martin

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Look at the frankia. My understanding is that model preceded the hymer.
The seating is further to the rear of the van than the hymer, so gives a feeling of more space.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Look at the frankia. My understanding is that model preceded the hymer.
The seating is further to the rear of the van than the hymer, so gives a feeling of more space.

I think the Hymer was first we saw it 2014 in Dusseldorf but whatever, I believe you are right about the seating being further back but less garage space.

Martin

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
can you get through to the back whilst driving/parked etc.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
can you get through to the back whilst driving/parked etc.

YES, the Hymer and Frankia versions are just like an A class but with the lounge at the back, the Concorde Cruiser daily is a coachbuilt so you might need to duck as you go through as it has the overcab bed and I believe it reduces the headroom slightly on the way through.

Martin

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Can't help you with experience, but we've been in one today at the NEC and thought it was lovely. If we win the Lottery tonight, that's the van we'll buy!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We saw a Hymer Duomobil recently and I was wondering if anyone has experience of this MH?

We particularly liked the design for just two people - which is what we are. At the moment we have a bed over the cab plus the main bed - we use the main bed, so we've taken the mattress out of the other and use it for storage but really its not needed.
@gailsunnymeed

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
YES, the Hymer and Frankia versions are just like an A class but with the lounge at the back, the Concorde Cruiser daily is a coachbuilt so you might need to duck as you go through as it has the overcab bed and I believe it reduces the headroom slightly on the way through.

Martin
thanks - not seen any pics of it without the bed down and driving seats cut off.
would love one if I could justify the expense- when I retire hopefully

Sep 29, 2012
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We would love a Hymer Duo Mobil we are hoping to buy one in a few years when we retire a second hand one that is within our budget. It would be the ideal van for us 2 person 2 dog family.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So you ve got a 4.5 tonne van that cant carry a scooter!

And a cramped kitchen and you have to do the rear lounge limbo to sit down

and you cant see the view at the pretty place you ve parked at because your looking inwards and your front screen has gone.

Not for me thanks.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
How do you get through from the cab area to the back when the front bed is not down as have never seen pics without the bed being down at the front. When travelling etc.
Looks a lovely van and maybe in a year or so there maybe one or two on the 2nd hand market or if I can justify it a new import one or similar.

The bed just goes up - it's exactly the same as any other over A class bed.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
So you ve got a 4.5 tonne van that cant carry a scooter!

And a cramped kitchen and you have to do the rear lounge limbo to sit down

and you cant see the view at the pretty place you ve parked at because your looking inwards and your front screen has gone.

Not for me thanks.

The kitchen is definitely not cramped.

Surely you'd park with the lounge facing the view?

I agree about the table. I think it's far too big and would do a modification.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You dont seem sold on the idea Jon. We spent some time in the Phoenix RSL at Dusseldorf a year ago and it was certainly different but did have plus point, big lounge and good sized kitchen, you could still use the two front seats when the bed was not down and certainly one of them turned around to a desk behind so one or more could sit in the back and watch TV or entertain the kids or whatever and another could stay at the front and read or browse FUN without being disturbed. I think once the bed is down the front is gone.

Martin

Deleted User
We have also been looking at the Duombil and it looks perfect for 2 people with 2 large dogs who may occasionally want to take two other people.
We have a rear lounge currently and the thing we love most is lying down in the lounge and looking out of the windows on the three sides at the scenery. Only negative I can see if the 4500kg as that will restrict access to places.
Never seen the need for a scooter as can drive or cycle anywhere I want to go though appreciate cycling not for all.
Just struggling to get my head round paying £90k for something that is not made of brick.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The kitchen is definitely not cramped.

Surely you'd park with the lounge facing the view?

I agree about the table. I think it's far too big and would do a modification.

I get the lounging in the rear lounge, but when ever Ive tried one it seems that Im twisting to an unnatural angle to see out of the windows.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I get the lounging in the rear lounge, but when ever Ive tried one it seems that Im twisting to an unnatural angle to see out of the windows.

I think if you are coming from a Caravan or rear lounge MoHo it could well be your thing, if you like sitting and looking out of an A class windscreen quite possibly not.

Martin

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I was definitely sold on the idea until I looked at one and drove it. There are occasions like when one of us is a little under the weather when we sleep in different beds, the Garage wasn't tall enough for my scooter, the quality of finish was not as good as the older Hymers or current Carthago or Frankia.

The worst bit for me is that when driving there are no windows behind the driver or passenger windows so at sharp bends you cannot rely on a window slightly further back to gain a safety advantage. It is rather like driving a van from that point of view.

The Frankia version which was on the market a full year before Hymers Duo is in my opinion a better vehicle.

They are of course, all a compromise, my van does all that the Duo would do but at 5.3 tonnes too large for smaller sites.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Link to the Duo so people can see what's being discussed!

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back