Help wet soggy wood (1 Viewer)

N

Naughty Nigel

Deleted User
Hi folks after a slight altercation with a gate post and the door on my loo cassette compartment I had to re seal the compartment door. On removing same we noticed the lower framing of the a piece of what I take to be 2x1 timber very wet and soggy along a couple of inches of its length . On closer inspection it appeared to be caused by liquid from the flushing tank, so I am presuming that my loo seal has gone . To my question whilst in my local hardware sop I saw a tin of wet rot treatment fluid which says it hardens the wood, has anyone tried this or can they offer any suggestions . Cheers all Nigel

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sorry to hear of your trouble Nigel, I haven't tried it myself - but I would suggest you fix it pretty quickly. I had a similar problem with a caravan a few years ago and it spread quickly resulting in a large bill:cry:

roverman1

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
leeds west yorks
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hi folks after a slight altercation with a gate post and the door on my loo cassette compartment I had to re seal the compartment door. On removing same we noticed the lower framing of the a piece of what I take to be 2x1 timber very wet and soggy along a couple of inches of its length . On closer inspection it appeared to be caused by liquid from the flushing tank, so I am presuming that my loo seal has gone . To my question whilst in my local hardware sop I saw a tin of wet rot treatment fluid which says it hardens the wood, has anyone tried this or can they offer any suggestions . Cheers all Nigel
hi . i had the same problem just last week i did the same as you did . i dug out all the wet wood and filled it with no nails then when that dried i siliconed the rest of the area iam hoping its worked . door and frame cost me £ 74
it was an expensieve knock:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Don't bodge it, cut out the affected wood back to sound wood Glue/screw to good wood then seal the floor joint so you cannot have a repetition. Rot left in will spread like wildfire. Tough luck. but at least you found the cause of the problem. (I hope)

OP
OP
N

Naughty Nigel

Deleted User
wet wood

thank you gentlemen for your replies and yes we are glad we found it, to get at the wood we may have to remove the outer skin (hope not). Fortunately both me and my nephew are pretty handy is there anything we should look out for along the way?
Thanks Nigel

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

Best thing is to cut out and replace I'm afraid.Glad you've found the source of the leak.:thumb:

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
To my question whilst in my local hardware sop I saw a tin of wet rot treatment fluid which says it hardens the wood, has anyone tried this or can they offer any suggestions . Cheers all Nigel

The product I think you saw in the DIY store was 'Nitromors Wood hardener'
I have used it on several occasions on very wet wood and it turns it rock-hard within 24 hours. It can then be painted, drilled etc.
In the situation you describe, I would certainly use it.
Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back