LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
A friend has a Merc Sprinter which he is kitting out as part race van part habitation. He is looking for a small chest fridge to site under a bench with a lift up lid. It needs to be no more than 400mm high.Is it possible to buy this type of fridge and if so from whom. I have looked in the CAK Tanks catalouge and they are all front opening At the moment he is using a cool box which works off the 12 volt. Many thanks Lin

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Most 'camp' shops sell these these days, go outdoors, tow sure to name but two.
Not sure on height or quality though.

Si.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Might sound like a silly question but hows he going to lift the lid if its under a bench:Doh:

OP
OP
lindyloot

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Hi Geo, the bench seats lift up for storage:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You Didnt say bench SEAT did YA:Doh::ROFLMAO:
Think race suport, engines, mechanics, bench = work bench :RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Hi Lin

Dometic may have something to suite .. height may be a problem

Link Removed

Jim

Hi. I have 2 RC1600s, 1 24volt and 1 12 volt. (24v doesn't appear on O'brien's site at the moment, maybe it's no longer available?). Anyway, I've used the 24v one for about 9 years now, in trucks and the MH, on 24v and gas, and occasionally mains. It's never let me down. The 12v one has also had heavy use. Can thoroughly recommend them! One was also used as a passenger seat on several truck trips to Greece and Italy ... Just noticede though, on O'brien site, it says these fridges MUST NOT BE USED ON GAS IN MOTOR VEHICLES :Eeek:. Presumably something to do with fumes?? I've got away with it so far, any thoughts??

:RollEyes:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I bought a 24 240 gas one at the Total in Zeebrugge about 18 years ago. They do need to be kept pretty level and they are very hard on batteries.

Also, they don't work at all well in confined spaces. I tried it on gas in the cab once and it left a taste on my tongue for ages, not to be recommende, but probably O.K. if you're not in the van at the time, just air it well before sitting in it.

My one had the thermostat on the 24 v side but I think most of the 12v ones thermos worked on the mains side.

This should help.

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just noticede though, on O'brien site, it says these fridges MUST NOT BE USED ON GAS IN MOTOR VEHICLES :Eeek:. Presumably something to do with fumes?? I've got away with it so far, any thoughts??

:RollEyes:

I'm wondering how you are still alive.. :whatthe:

Regulations prohibit the the use of any unvented gas appliance in the van .. just be aware that the CO fumes are deadly and not known as the silent killer for no reason.. why not use it on 12v ?

There have been several cases of CO poisoning in Spanish holiday lets and one not so long ago in Greece...

jim

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hi Derek, are they the one with the wind up handles on the sides :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:roflmto:

Now that would be worth having.:thumb:

No though,but they are the ones that do about two million miles,stand in as spare seats when the contents are being quaffed and are great steps for getting into the top bunk of the truck.

Maybe not the best fridges but probably the toughest.:winky:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Try Link Removed - They sell the Engel Fridges with the lifting lids in the 4x4 circuit, not cheap but the best.

They are very economical on the battery, you can use it as a fridge or a freezer but not both at the same time. DC 12v & 24v & AC 220/240v

Nigel and Pamala

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
I'm wondering how you are still alive.. :whatthe:

jim

:roflmto: ... Used them both mainly on 24 & 12 vlt but I was just commenting on the gas aspect after seeing your link to Lin re 'under the bench' etc. Would you consider running one of these in the MH that different from using the oven/hob/grill etc? Assuming sensible ventilation & so on? Whenever I used our fridge on gas, in a truck or in the MH it was always with the roofhatch or similar open ... :RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
:roflmto: ... Used them both mainly on 24 & 12 vlt but I was just commenting on the gas aspect after seeing your link to Lin re 'under the bench' etc. Would you consider running one of these in the MH that different from using the oven/hob/grill etc? Assuming sensible ventilation & so on? Whenever I used our fridge on gas, in a truck or in the MH it was always with the roofhatch or similar open ... :RollEyes:

Common sense should prevail .. :Smile:

as you say, no different to using a hob or oven, however, most cookers have a vent somewhere, usually behind the grill or oven..

Be aware of the hazard and take precautions .. If you don't already have, fit a CO alarm, LLoyds Chemists were doing one for about a tenner

jim

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
read the title and thought now this is not going to be about Jordans fridge is it:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back