Flat Engine Battery/ Battery Master (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Can someone please advise me before the Dealer Marquis,who we are taking the MH back to next week, might expect me to believe their postulations. I have 220W solar panels connected to 2 leisure batteries and these keep the leisure batteries at 13.7 + volts and we are very happy with this. However the engine battery,which I'm convinced is not long for this world,does not seem to be receiving any "surplus" charge via the Battery Master (Jim's kit). In my opinion it probably simply further proves the dreadful state of the engine battery in that without the Battery Master it would be even worse.
However my question is this---- Is it possible for charge to leave the Engine battery via the Battery Master and go back to the Leisure batteries.??
The Dealer has already suggested this possibility and I want to assuredly/correctly understand the situation and hopefully dismiss his erroneous contention!
Look forward to your kind advice.
Thank you again
Ian

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
However my question is this---- Is it possible for charge to leave the Engine battery via the Battery Master and go back to the Leisure batteries.??

The Battery Master should not allow any current to pass from the engine battery to the leisure battery unless it is faulty.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ian, if you switch everything off except for the panel ... it should show not only the level of the leisure batteries but the OUTgoing power... If mine is sending charge to the engine battery this shows up as an OUTgoing (- minus sign).

If it says no outgoing .. check whether it working by switching for example, the pump, or lights on ... and does that show a minus?

Joy

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Can someone please advise me before the Dealer Marquis,who we are taking the MH back to next week, might expect me to believe their postulations. I have 220W solar panels connected to 2 leisure batteries and these keep the leisure batteries at 13.7 + volts and we are very happy with this. However the engine battery,which I'm convinced is not long for this world,does not seem to be receiving any "surplus" charge via the Battery Master (Jim's kit). In my opinion it probably simply further proves the dreadful state of the engine battery in that without the Battery Master it would be even worse.
The Dealer has already suggested this possibility and I want to assuredly/correctly understand the situation and hopefully dismiss his erroneous contention!
Look forward to your kind advice.
Thank you again
Ian
Hi Ian, just had a thought which may be of no use whatsoever .......... about eighteen months ago I had a problem similar to yours and it turned out that one of the wires on the battery master had been incorrectly connected ... if it is a Van Bitz one, worth phoning him and asking him which wire is connected to which connection. This may not be of use to you as not sure what details are of your equipment. :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I haven't seen a battery master yet but I was going to ask if it was possible it was connected the wrong way round but @movan beat me to it (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Is it possible for charge to leave the Engine battery via the Battery Master and go back to the Leisure batteries.??
NO

Is alternator doing the business? Should be charging in region of 14.4 volts
How long are you leaving vehicle for since last use?
Have you measured voltage on vehicle battery?
Is there a drain on vehicle? apart from usual radio backup, alarm system. Someone charging 'phones, an inverter not in use but switched on?

Then almost certainly vehicle battery at end of useful life

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ian, if you switch everything off except for the panel ... it should show not only the level of the leisure batteries but the OUTgoing power... If mine is sending charge to the engine battery this shows up as an OUTgoing (- minus sign).

If it says no outgoing .. check whether it working by switching for example, the pump, or lights on ... and does that show a minus?

Joy
Thanks Joy I'll try that
Ian

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
NO

Is alternator doing the business? Should be charging in region of 14.4 volts
How long are you leaving vehicle for since last use?
Have you measured voltage on vehicle battery?
Is there a drain on vehicle? apart from usual radio backup, alarm system. Someone charging 'phones, an inverter not in use but switched on?

Then almost certainly vehicle battery at end of useful life
Hi Larby,
Alternator is charging at 14.4V, The vehicle won't start if left for 3 days,engine battery voltage after charging for 30 mins is 13.7V and after 3 days is 11.4V,and lastly the only drains are alarm,tracker and radio back up.
I guess battery needs to go to battery heaven!

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Ian, just had a thought which may be of no use whatsoever .......... about eighteen months ago I had a problem similar to yours and it turned out that one of the wires on the battery master had been incorrectly connected ... if it is a Van Bitz one, worth phoning him and asking him which wire is connected to which connection. This may not be of use to you as not sure what details are of your equipment. :)
Hi again Joy,
It is a Van Bitz one-I'll give him a call -I'm sure it will be of use. By the way only my wife gets to know these details lol
Ian

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
What Motorhome is it? And who installed the Battery Master?

No it is impossible to allow a reverse charge

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What Motorhome is it? And who installed the Battery Master?

No it is impossible to allow a reverse charge
Its a Lunar Roadstar,I installed it and it's pretty simple to do so and thank you for confirmation I needed
Ian

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Only under fault conditions and a £10 multimeter will tell you.

Thanks for this I have a multi meter -how do you test for this situation pleases?
Ian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for this I have a multi meter -how do you test for this situation pleases?
Ian

You fitted it so dead easy, undo the wire to the engine battery, fit multimeter, set to AMPS, between wire and engine battery. Normally I'd set to 20A then 2A then 200mA sort of thing.

The red lead of MM goes to battery master then + is charging the engine battery and - is discharge from engine battery ( I think ! ).

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You fitted it so dead easy, undo the wire to the engine battery, fit multimeter, set to AMPS, between wire and engine battery. Normally I'd set to 20A then 2A then 200mA sort of thing.

The red lead of MM goes to battery master then + is charging the engine battery and - is discharge from engine battery ( I think ! ).
Thank you I'll do that
Ian

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Joy I'll try that
Ian
Hi Joy,
Eddie has been most helpful and confirmed that I have it wired correctly and provided details to allow me to test it.
Thanks again
Ian

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
The battery master will only charge at upto 1amp, if you have a iffy battery plus alarm, radio etc it wont be a lot of good.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back