Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Whilst enjoying yourselves at the shows ( buying gadgets you will never use) watch out for bargains
The two bottles on the left are fakes
£20 quid literally down the drain
Items bought of a stall at the Lincoln Steam Fair
image.jpeg

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
There in 4 ltrs instead of 5 Ltrs bottles I think, you would have thought if they were going to fake the original they would get that bit right, thankfully they didn't

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Fake how? Look like a budget brand but don't think that makes them fake...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wouldn't think they are much different to the washing stuff ,most use

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
There in 4 ltrs instead of 5 Ltrs bottles I think, you would have thought if they were going to fake the original they would get that bit right, thankfully they didn't

Ah but the Chinese don't think like us...

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
They're not fakes unless they are purporting to be something they aren't? They don't say that they are Elsan (do they?). In which case they are just cheap alternatives. probably exactly the same stuff. Or perhaps they do say Elsan, the photo is blurred so I can't read the printing on them.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think you'll find that the white bird is a trade mark of Elsan. It's most certainly part of their logo and clearly intended to be used with and identify their (quality?) product. Trademarks Act..Copyright, Design and Patents Act and Unfair Trading Regulations might apply. Thanks to the op for bringing it to peoples attention. Products such as these can contain unwanted and sometimes dangerous ingredients.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
image.jpeg
The bottle on the left is the genuine article
The bottle on the right is Fake
I think you'll find that the white bird is a trade mark of Elsan. It's most certainly part of their logo and clearly intended to be used with and identify their (quality?) product. Trademarks Act..Copyright, Design and Patents Act and Unfair Trading Regulations might apply. Thanks to the op for bringing it to peoples attention. Products such as these can contain unwanted and sometimes dangerous ingredients.
THANK YOU sdc77

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Fake stuff is very widespread these days. One clue is often the packaging is poorer quality. Easy enough to tell when they are next to each other, but even without the good one you can see the label on the bottle on the right has not been fitted very well - it has wrinkles.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
As someone said above the Chinese don't think like we do. They certainly don't worry about copyright and trade marks etc. I have seen numerous castings coming from China for valves, gearboxes etc that are actually stamped "Made in UK" and you only have to look on Ebay to see numerous items from China / Hong Kong that look exactly like their original counterparts including copying of logos etc. In terms of toilet chemicals I would guess very few people are brand conscious and just buy the cheapest.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How do you know they're fake?
A good point, I guess only the manufacturer can tell.

Google "elsan blue" and you will see lots of pictures of bottles looking like the one on the right. Are they fake or just old stock?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
How do you know they're fake?
Elsan said so HERE
Only it seems Tinkering has got his Fakes mixed up, the 4 ltr is genuine the one, on the far right is the fake if Elsans statment is correct
Hope he aint thrown the wrong one away:LOL:
for clarity the better pic apears to make the so called genuine one a 5 ltr which they dont make???
G

Reactions: DBK

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Elsan said so HERE
Only it seems Tinkering has got his Fakes mixed up, the 4 ltr is genuine the one, on the far right is the fake if Elsans statment is correct
Hope he aint thrown the wrong one away:LOL:
for clarity the better pic apears to make the so called genuine one a 5 ltr which they dont make???
G

The one with the light blue top is the genuine one - far right in @tinkering initial post ( but on the left in his subsequent post)

As to 4 litre v 5 litre - the one with the light blue top is only 4 litre - it is the shape of the bottle that deceives the eye :)

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
The one with the Black cap( the fake) has a sweetish odour
The one with the light blue safety cap has a odour that is instantly recisnizeable as the Elsan product( spellings rubbish sorry)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 18

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Interesting that the Elsan look-alike is 5 lt and the Elsan is 4 lt. Usually those sort of bottles are 5lt... or are they??? ;)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Possibly cheaper and easier for the fakers to source 5l bottles than 4l ones. More of a "standard" size.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Another thing related to this. On these bottles it says add two or three lts of water, after emptying , does anyone do this, we just put a couple of caps in and leave it at that as it will soon have a lt or two in when useing , and it gives you more capacity.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I use a tiny splash of Blue ( from our 4 litre bottles.. which I usually pay £10 a go for ).. perhaps up to the lowest mark in the cap.
I then add about a cupful of water just so I can swish it all around and spread the blue easily
We do have a SOG but for the preservation of my olfactory bits and bobs use the blue to reduce pong when emptying

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I am just sad and stick to the Thetford products. It is good to buy the big bottles in Super U when on the shelves during the summer. A really good price. Still like they say it is all down the drain in the end.

:imoutahere:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Cheers, figured out the Fake, but was puzzled by the pics and the size of the genuine one as they say they don't make a 5 Ltr
I couldn't understand why the fake 5 ltr looks smaller than the genuine 4 ltr ??
But your right though the black cap matches the pics on the Manf web site of the fake stuff and the smell too you say is different , I dont use it so http://www.elsan.co.uk/warning-fake-5-litre-elsan-blue.aspx know

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The one on the right is an engine oil bottle. Check out the pour spout.
Oh bugger, label came off mine, thought it was the Mobil 1 oil container so been putting it in my car, still, does smell nice when I drive it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back