EU helth cards (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have the eu health cards but was wondering what you get with them if you happen to go in to hospital do you have to pay up front or is it just like travel insurance not to worried as I have cover with my very well known credit card
bill

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The EHIC card entitles you to health care under the same terms as apply to local residents. So the answer depends on which country you are in. For example, in France, you pay for things like prescriptions or laboratory tests. In Germany, everyone going into hospital pays €10 per day (unless it has gone up since 2010) towards the accommodation costs. At one time these costs could be recovered from the NHS once you returned home but I believe that option has now been stopped.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The EHIC card entitles you to health care under the same terms as apply to local residents. So the answer depends on which country you are in. For example, in France, you pay for things like prescriptions or laboratory tests. In Germany, everyone going into hospital pays €10 per day (unless it has gone up since 2010) towards the accommodation costs. At one time these costs could be recovered from the NHS once you returned home but I believe that option has now been stopped.
Thank you for your reply not to worded as we have other cover just rely curios as to how it works
Belgium Holland France is our destinations (y)
BILL

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi Bill,
Is the cover you have with your credit card the "free" one you can get with bank cards or accounts.
If so make sure that you read the small print .
In most cases , If you've had a stroke or heart attack or any or any existing problems you may not be covered.
If it's not that type of insurance you have with the card. Take no notice if me! Have a lovely trip.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi Bill,
Is the cover you have with your credit card the "free" one you can get with bank cards or accounts.
If so make sure that you read the small print .
In most cases , If you've had a stroke or heart attack or any or any existing problems you may not be covered.
If it's not that type of insurance you have with the card. Take no notice if me! Have a lovely trip.
I am not to worred as the EU covers most things and we also have multy trip cover now
lyn insisted we get it
Thanks for you're reply
bill

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
That's great Bill. As long as the multi trip cover insurance company are aware of Lynn's recent stroke.
I know my dad had to get different insurance once he'd had a stroke. To cover his condition and medication etc. Better to be safe than sorry. God forbid anything happen, even losing tablets, and you not be covered. It can be very expensive. How is Lynn now , is she back to her jolly self, on the mend?

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
That's great Bill. As long as the multi trip cover insurance company are aware of Lynn's recent stroke.
I know my dad had to get different insurance once he'd had a stroke. To cover his condition and medication etc. Better to be safe than sorry. God forbid anything happen, even losing tablets, and you not be covered. It can be very expensive. How is Lynn now , is she back to her jolly self, on the mend?
They have ben made aware of her condition and are happy to cover her she has made a full recovery
bill

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Even with the EHIC card you still have a small amount to pay at the hospital,even in france. But it's only about 30euros or so. we had to visit with both kids, one had suspected broken ankle/leg or something and they fitted a pot. The other one had a nasty bite and was given cream. we were billed around 30 euros each after we got home as we just walked out of the hospital thinking it was free,same as home.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Hi Bill
Dont know if its the same everywere in Belgium.
A friend of ours was in Hospital in Belgium
Did not pay a penny all he cost is for the NHS

JEB

Free Member
Feb 9, 2013
UK -sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I`m a newbie
Anyone reviewed the EHIC PLUS.. its an additional insurance based arrangement provided by a health screening company . We took it out for a 12 month stay in France. You are obliged to stay within EHIC medical providers, but offered great value for a couple of 65 year olds with some pre-existing medical conditions. Well worth a check out on their web.
  • Emergency repatriation up to £2 million
  • Hospital benefit and doctor call-out
  • Cancellation and Curtailment up to £5,000
  • Delays and loss of baggage
  • Hijack, mugging, pets and much more
  • Cover available for most pre-existing medical conditions
  • Over 100 adventure sports included

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My wife had a cycling accident in France last year.

On attending hospital she was immediately triaged, seen by the Casualty doctor, X-rayed, seen again and treated by the Doctor, all within one hour and ten minutes.

The EHIC card covered most of the treatment but we had to pay 68 euros for the provision of an adjustable splint and top quality crutches, as well as the X-Ray.

In view of the quality of the treatment we considered it money well spent.

Incidentally, our excess on our travel insurance was 100 euros.

C'est la vie!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back