Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi

Now I know generators are a hated subject but I would like to purchase one!

We already have a solar panel and 2 batteries but if we are away in winter for a long period of time we may need a little assistance!

So I would like a pure sine wave style low noise suitcase generator.

I know Honda are the best but they are also very expensive I would prefer a 2kw one.

So my options are rob a bank and get a honda (not really preferred as the generator will probably only be in use once a year!)

A Clarke one from machine mart or a kipor one?

Has anyone recently purchased a good value generator that you could recommend? I don't want it to damage my elecktroblok!

Thanks

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
If you're only going to use it once a year, maybe consider renting one as and when you need it ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you only want to use it once a year - find somewhere with a hook-up. I have a Honda EU1oi which is ample for charging the batteries and running small appliances. I bought it about 6 years ago in a flurry of anticipated off-grid camping but don't use it that much to be honest. I make more use of it for powering the Strimmer in the garden. Now I would never be without a solar panel having had one for 4 years now.
By the way, the Honda EU20i is a magnificent machine with a better engine than the EU10i but it is a heavy beast!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi
We already have a solar panel and 2 batteries but if we are away in winter for a long period of time we may need a little assistance!
Thanks

I'll put my hands up straightaway and admit to being one of the "antis".

We've got a 100w solar panel and 2 x 110a/h batteries and go away for the winter. Never had a problem, even staying longish term without moving. Admittedly we go to the sunshine (Morocco, then Spain & Portugal) so I suppose it depends where you go. We also have a B2B charger but it's never been actually needed, just peace of mind - and it's a lot more useful than a genny, as well as being quieter, cheaper and a lot lighter.

But there again, we're not power "hogs", a bit of telly, recharge phones/laptops etc. plus the usual things like lights and pumps.

Sorry, biased opinion over!:whistle:

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I'm probably an "anti" as well but for skiing in a remote area it may be useful!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't want it to damage my elecktroblok!

At between £250 -£300 a pop.. indeed you do not..

some sound advice here about caring for your Elektroblock ..

We are seeing the occassional damaged charger caused by Generators with a poorly regulated output. Our surge spike kit will NOT protect against these. If you run on generator, ask us about our 13amp style plug that displays the mains/generator voltage entering your vehicle. It will plug into any 13amp socket and will tell you volumes about the sites hook-up or your own generator supply.

The Elecktroblock has built in surge/spike suppression,but I have also installed a mains surge protector AV30 that will protect all electronic kit in the van .. info on this thread.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/voltage-surge.110948/#post-1574905

As for gennies.. buy the best you can afford..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A Honda EU model will be fine with the EBL. In fact the output from the Honda is cleaner than some mains outlets. Always start the Gennie and let it settle down BEFORE switching on the mains circuit breaker in the van - I assume you want to charge via the main hook-up inlet point? Don't try and connect a gennie directly to the batteries. And don't let the petrol tank run dry as even an inverter gennie may surge if it runs out of juice.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Buy the Honda if you can stretch to it far superior than the rest also quieter and will hold its resale value better.
We have a 2.5 kva Honda built into the chassis on our van and its superb. Very rarely use it and not sure if I'd buy one but for staying on Aires in the Alps for any length of time when skiing its a real benefit.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
At between £250 -£300 a pop.. indeed you do not..

some sound advice here about caring for your Elektroblock ..

The Elecktroblock has built in surge/spike suppression,but I have also installed a mains surge protector AV30 that will protect all electronic kit in the van .. info on this thread.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/voltage-surge.110948/#post-1574905

As for gennies.. buy the best you can afford..

Is the AV30 similar to the steady OVP01 Voltage protector ? I have one of these?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is the AV30 similar to the steady OVP01 Voltage protector ? I have one of these?

not exactly.. it's an over voltage protector.. not a spike/surge protector..

The Schaudt Elektroblock is often, incorrectly, singled out on the Forums as having a particular issue because, so it is alleged, they do not have Spike Surge protection built in and this is why the charger units inside the boxes fail. The Schaudt Elektroblock range DOES have built in spike/surge protection in the form of a Metal Oxide Varister (MOV). A MOV is a VERY effective way of trapping Spikes and Surges which is why it is used by almost all the Charger unit manufacturers from Arsilicii to Nordelettronica.

The confusion seems to have arisen because Schaudt manufacture an add on module called the Over Voltage Protection 01 which is sold by some as a Spike/Surge suppressor when it is not. What the OVP 01 does is cut all power to the protected device if the voltage goes outside preset limits ie, below 190v or above 265v.
You will see from the Schaudt Technical document, see below, that it does not mention anything about Spike/Surge protection, only OverVoltage Protection, hence the name OVP 01.

read about he OPV01 here http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-ovp01.php

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
not exactly.. it's an over voltage protector.. not a spike/surge protector..

The Schaudt Elektroblock is often, incorrectly, singled out on the Forums as having a particular issue because, so it is alleged, they do not have Spike Surge protection built in and this is why the charger units inside the boxes fail. The Schaudt Elektroblock range DOES have built in spike/surge protection in the form of a Metal Oxide Varister (MOV). A MOV is a VERY effective way of trapping Spikes and Surges which is why it is used by almost all the Charger unit manufacturers from Arsilicii to Nordelettronica.

The confusion seems to have arisen because Schaudt manufacture an add on module called the Over Voltage Protection 01 which is sold by some as a Spike/Surge suppressor when it is not. What the OVP 01 does is cut all power to the protected device if the voltage goes outside preset limits ie, below 190v or above 265v.
You will see from the Schaudt Technical document, see below, that it does not mention anything about Spike/Surge protection, only OverVoltage Protection, hence the name OVP 01.

read about he OPV01 here http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-ovp01.php

Makes sense now!! Cheers

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the golden rule must be that if there is a thunder storm in the vicinity (particularly in southern or central Europe where they can be much more vicious than we typically experience in GB) don't leave a EHU cable connected!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have an SDMO Booster 1000 suitcase type generator. It is an inverter type with a Honda engine, pretty quiet to run and works well at up to 1kva.
If you are concerned about noise, most generators now have information on the amount of noise they produce. Mine says it produces 69 db(a), the more popular Honda EU1000i, which uses the same engine as mine produces 59 db(a) but says it does this at 1/4 load.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If you only intend to use it once a year,then it is best, to completely drain the fuel including the lines and the carburettor, or at the very least put in some fuel stabiliser. We have a Honda and I promise you, after a year, any generator, will be difficult to start unless you do. :love:

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi

Now I know generators are a hated subject but I would like to purchase one!

So I would like a pure sine wave style low noise suitcase generator.

I know Honda are the best but they are also very expensive I would prefer a 2kw one.

So my options are rob a bank and get a honda (not really preferred as the generator will probably only be in use once a year!)

A Clarke one from machine mart or a kipor one?

Has anyone recently purchased a good value generator that you could recommend? I don't want it to damage my elecktroblok!

Thanks

In a similar position to you (2 x 100ah batteries and 120w solar). With an impending trip to Germany starting next week and five days off EHU (and the possibility of snow), I decided some insurance was needed in the form of a generator. Solar is all very well, but not when the sun isn’t shining.

Originally I was going to buy a Honda EU20i, put after picking one up it was just to heavy. Plumped for an EU10i which arrived yesterday, much more manageable.

Spent a good part of today plugging things in to see what would work and what would not.

Kettle (rated 270 to 1050w???) - no problem

Toaster 700w - no problem

Van heating system set at 500w - no problem (also ran OK at 1000w, but wouldn’t try it again)

On board 700w microwave - wouldn’t have it

Nespresso coffee machine - struggled, but did make a cup (I think 1300w), wouldn’t do it again.

Oil filled heater, 700w - no problem

A few other smaller items, electric blanket, laptop, phone charger etc, all no problem.

Very impressed with the EU10i. Much quieter than I expected (parked 2m in front of van it was barely audible on the quite setting (which ran all the smaller stuff)) and as mentioned very manageable. As you noted a bit expensive (£719 inc delivery and a bottle of engine oil), but I feel money well spent.

Brian

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
You could stay on a site with EHU a good few days for £719 ;)

Mostly that would be the case, however a number of times per year that's not possible. On this occasion the nearest dwelling (a house) is 100m away.

Everyones circumstances are different.

Brian

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Very impressed with the EU10i. Much quieter than I expected (parked 2m in front of van it was barely audible on the quite setting (which ran all the smaller stuff)) and as mentioned very manageable. As you noted a bit expensive (£719 inc delivery and a bottle of engine oil), but I feel money well spent.

Could be tempted with this one too but would seriously consider lpg conversion. I know all warranty is void but no additional fuel to carry or drain when not in use has got to be worth a punt. They say the eu20 is probably better for lpg conversion though.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In a similar position to you (2 x 100ah batteries and 120w solar). With an impending trip to Germany starting next week and five days off EHU (and the possibility of snow), I decided some insurance was needed in the form of a generator. Solar is all very well, but not when the sun isn’t shining.

Originally I was going to buy a Honda EU20i, put after picking one up it was just to heavy. Plumped for an EU10i which arrived yesterday, much more manageable.

Spent a good part of today plugging things in to see what would work and what would not.

Kettle (rated 270 to 1050w???) - no problem

Toaster 700w - no problem

Van heating system set at 500w - no problem (also ran OK at 1000w, but wouldn’t try it again)

On board 700w microwave - wouldn’t have it

Nespresso coffee machine - struggled, but did make a cup (I think 1300w), wouldn’t do it again.

Oil filled heater, 700w - no problem

A few other smaller items, electric blanket, laptop, phone charger etc, all no problem.

Brian

If you have the extended 5yr warranty, be sure to get it serviced annually as without it the warranty is void. I found out to my cost.
I left fuel in for a few months and it would not run properly so have now used an additive.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A b2b charger will charge at a much higher rate than a gennie, costs less and weighs very much less. I really don't think anyone needs a gennie. Solar, b2b and a sizeable inverter can meet all needs.
And a couple of extra batteries as the OP only has two
All bases covered without the expense and hassle of the generator - plus you've always git the extra power when you need it

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We ran our van for about a month using our generator a couple of hours a day. It couldn't manage the microwave or heating very well, but we used gas for heating and hot water, its more efficient anyway. In that month we took the van out once to fill the gas tank and give the batteries a charge.
Nothing wrong with using a generator as long as it does't annoy anybody nearby

We have parked next to some foreign vans that had water pumps noisier than a generator

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
And a couple of extra batteries as the OP only has two
All bases covered without the expense and hassle of the generator - plus you've always git the extra power when you need it

I think that’s fine as far as it goes. But first you need the space for the two extra batteries, then if you want to run any 240v stuff you need an inverter (preferably MSV which are not cheap, again taking up space).

It all starts to add up, both with the space and the cost. And I still have a generator for other duties around the home etc.

Using a generator with respect to others around you can solve a lot of problems and at the very least offers some form of insurance.

Brian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have an SDMO Booster 1000 suitcase type generator. It is an inverter type with a Honda engine, pretty quiet to run and works well at up to 1kva.
If you are concerned about noise, most generators now have information on the amount of noise they produce. Mine says it produces 69 db(a), the more popular Honda EU1000i, which uses the same engine as mine produces 59 db(a) but says it does this at 1/4 load.
I suspect claimed dB levels are about as reliable as VW emission figures, or anybody else's for that matter. The human ear is a wierd thing. The energy of the sound doubles every 3 dB so a sound 10 dB greater has ten times the energy but the human ear coupled to our subjective brain only percieves it as twice as loud.

One way to silence a genny is dig a hole and put the genny in it. It will be remarkably quiet.

And even quieter if you bury it - but I won't suggest that, but the trick of sinking it into the ground really works. I've done it.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I suspect claimed dB levels are about as reliable as VW emission figures, or anybody else's for that matter. The human ear is a wierd thing. The energy of the sound doubles every 3 dB so a sound 10 dB greater has ten times the energy but the human ear coupled to our subjective brain only percieves it as twice as loud.

One way to silence a genny is dig a hole and put the genny in it. It will be remarkably quiet.

And even quieter if you bury it - but I won't suggest that, but the trick of sinking it into the ground really works. I've done it.

You do make a fair point, I am getting a bit corned beef - but it was very quite for me. I SAID IT WAS V...... :D

Brian

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back