Spain in winter (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
... or early spring. I guess this has probably been covered in previous posts. I wonder when is the best time to go, and where. I've never been able to persuade the wife to go, I think she's heard so many security scare stories, but she seems not so dismissive at the mo, so we may consider it. It would only be for a month or so, she doesn't like staying in one place too long, or being away from home much longer than a month.

My cousin lives in Spain near Marbella, and says that it can be really cold even in March, but can still be sunnier than here. But so many people seem to go to Spain, and make it sound better than that.

I'm not looking forward to winter here.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We travel down in January and come home late March
The nights tend to get a bit chilly but the days .. usually, are bloody warm

In the past 7 or 8 years we usually end up sunbathing on the beach at some time or other..

As for security.. Heard all the stories about Liverpool.. This year we decided to see for our selves
What a wonderful place ! It is now on the list of places for a longer visit..

Well that is Spain.. you hear all the stories but in reality it is no less safe than anywhere else here in the UK

Of course you run a risk of getting nobbled and something stolen.. But def no worse a risk than here at home

Sensible ( normal ) security precautions and you should be fine :)

Sensible as in do not leave doors unlocked, and do chain bikes up etc

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We leave next week for 5 months which will be our 10th year and still looking forward to it. The weather during the day is roughly 10deg warmer in Spain where we go and next week it is around 24deg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We leave mid December and return mid April but we are getting later coming home as we love it down there we also like to travel back up through Portugal but inland visiting national parks for birding.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We leave in January and return March/April and love it.

As for being really cold in Marbella in March - methinks your cousin has been in Spain too long and has forgotten what really cold really is!!

On the other hand maybe he doesn't want you to visit so is trying to put you off!! ;)

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
As for being really cold in Marbella in March - methinks your cousin has been in Spain too long and has forgotten what really cold really is!!

On the other hand maybe he doesn't want you to visit so is trying to put you off!! ;)
There's an element of truth in that, though I don't think it is aimed at me ... he's just a little anti family! (some of). Best not go into that...

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We have only been twice, once in 2013 for our first trip which we had planned for up to 6 weeks and ended up staying over two months because we loved it so. Due to some health issues didn't manage 2014 but earlier this year we did (Mar to June) and it was even better than the previous time, including a Rally at Benicarlo. In fact so good that we're heading back in November for the entire Winter through to March at the very least.

Have to do it whilst you can :rolleyes:, and we can hardy wait to get back again :):):).

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Friends out in Murcia will shoot me, but I'd definitely recommend the area south of Cartgena near Puerto Mazarron. We spent 9 weeks there from Jan to March in 2014 and loved it. Not your typical Brit abroad area (no English pubs and didn't spot any Full English breakfast places. Just great, relatively quiet places and cheap good food and drink, plus tee shirt weather to wake you up every morning. Before that trip I always wondered what drew people to Spain in Winter. Now I know. I deliberately haven't named the campsite we stayed at, but there will be plenty of Funsters who know it. Gary

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Friends out in Murcia will shoot me, but I'd definitely recommend the area south of Cartgena near Puerto Mazarron. We spent 9 weeks there from Jan to March in 2014 and loved it. Not your typical Brit abroad area (no English pubs and didn't spot any Full English breakfast places. Just great, relatively quiet places and cheap good food and drink, plus tee shirt weather to wake you up every morning. Before that trip I always wondered what drew people to Spain in Winter. Now I know. I deliberately haven't named the campsite we stayed at, but there will be plenty of Funsters who know it. Gary

We were there in Feb/March this year - excellent!! :)

Deleted User

We have just left Bolnuevo outside Puerto de Mazarron after a brief visit to the site there which I was not impressed with. Bolnuevo seemed OK and the coast westwards is a nature reserve so not developed but the coast eastwards through Puerto and as far as Isla Plana seemed to me to be overdeveloped as per other Costa's.

In a short walk along the front near to the old Puerto we saw 2 places advertising English breakfasts and heard very little else but English spoken as we passed the many restaurants. Couldn't fault the many Menu del Dias at €9 including drinks though.

I realise we have only seen a small part of the area and we will definitely return for a longer stay but definitely not impressed with Puerto de Mazarron and the short stretch of coast to the east which must have been truly beautiful before the developments, many of which are unfinished.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We have just left Bolnuevo outside Puerto de Mazarron after a brief visit to the site there which I was not impressed with. Bolnuevo seemed OK and the coast westwards is a nature reserve so not developed but the coast eastwards through Puerto and as far as Isla Plana seemed to me to be overdeveloped as per other Costa's.

In a short walk along the front near to the old Puerto we saw 2 places advertising English breakfasts and heard very little else but English spoken as we passed the many restaurants. Couldn't fault the many Menu del Dias at €9 including drinks though.

I realise we have only seen a small part of the area and we will definitely return for a longer stay but definitely not impressed with Puerto de Mazarron and the short stretch of coast to the east which must have been truly beautiful before the developments, many of which are unfinished.

I'm quite surprised by your comments. Although we were not so keen on the campsite at Bolnuevo, (possibly the summer shades not helping as we don't like them) it is a very pleasant stretch of coastline. Sadly like a lot of areas in Spain it has it's slightly less desirable sights at times; but overall we found this a lovely area. Heading east towards and beyond Isla Plana is, we thought, a charming area of coastile and the Camp Site of Los Madrilles takes some beating in our opinion. Perhaps you didn't go far enough to the East.

Dave

Deleted User
I'm quite surprised by your comments. Although we were not so keen on the campsite at Bolnuevo, (possibly the summer shades not helping as we don't like them) it is a very pleasant stretch of coastline. Sadly like a lot of areas in Spain it has it's slightly less desirable sights at times; but overall we found this a lovely area. Heading east towards and beyond Isla Plana is, we thought, a charming area of coastile and the Camp Site of Los Madrilles takes some beating in our opinion. Perhaps you didn't go far enough to the East.

Dave
You are correct we only went as far as Isla Plana so I cannot comment on the coastline beyond that but will certainly explore that on our next visit. We had a quick look at Los Madriles from the outside but did not go in, may try that next time if we can get in as it is apparently very popular.

We are currently at Los Escullos in the Cabo de Gata Natural Park which we have been visiting for 10 years so we are familiar with the type of coastline, which is virtually unspoiled here especially compared to the, admittedly small, badly developed stretch we saw.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I start planning our winter jaunt as soon as we get home from the summer run !
ordered my Euros on Thursday.. Just sorting out a few more Tescos points and will be booking the chunnel
Really look forward to it all.. And this year, changing our destination from Zahora to Benidorm, it is like starting over.. All unknown to us again !!

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I start planning our winter jaunt as soon as we get home from the summer run !
ordered my Euros on Thursday.. Just sorting out a few more Tescos points and will be booking the chunnel
Really look forward to it all.. And this year, changing our destination from Zahora to Benidorm, it is like starting over.. All unknown to us again !!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! We came back from Spain after three months in the June and almost at once knew that we wanted to go back for the entire Winter, at Benidorm. Just a month now before we're off, talk about counting the days down!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It drives woman nuts as I am getting the van ready for the off and yet we are still doing the odd weekend away.. Which means a lot of gear is either missing or in the way ! ( Totally different kit taken when we do a big one than a short one, if you see what I mean :) )

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp

I realise we have only seen a small part of the area and we will definitely return for a longer stay but definitely not impressed with Puerto de Mazarron and the short stretch of coast to the east which must have been truly beautiful before the developments, many of which are unfinished.[/QUOTE

Though much larger than the sites we normally use - we actually quite liked the site there, in particular the direct access to the beach and the close proximity to Bolnuevo (a small town which we liked a lot)

From the site along the beach past Bolnuevo then up over the headland to the South West is a magnificent walk - totally unspoilt and (once over the headland) beautifully wild :)

I do agree that from the campsite North East is "not our cup of tea" - over developed and under populated! with lots of unfinished buildings and closed shops/bars/cafes

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Los Madriles is the one and beyond Isla Plana it is less developed though we always enjoyed the bike ride into Puerto Mazarron and beyond that down the coast track, Gary

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
From Isla Plana continuing east you arrive at the end of the road at La Azohia. A small village with some new buildings. From there you can walk up a path to a tower and good views. After that you are on rocky footpaths to numerous bays. The only other access is by boat.

Another unspoilt area is by taking the old Cartagena road from Isla Plana and then taking the road to the right to the guns. Part way along this road you take a road to the left which then becomes a track. Parking here you then have to go on foot on one of three or so routes to the coast. Again the only access is on foot or by sea.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
From Isla Plana continuing east you arrive at the end of the road at La Azohia. A small village with some new buildings. From there you can walk up a path to a tower and good views. After that you are on rocky footpaths to numerous bays. The only other access is by boat.

Another unspoilt area is by taking the old Cartagena road from Isla Plana and then taking the road to the right to the guns. Part way along this road you take a road to the left which then becomes a track. Parking here you then have to go on foot on one of three or so routes to the coast. Again the only access is on foot or by sea.
We have cycled up to the guns several times. The views over the bay towards Cartagena are fantastic. One day whilst up there an English chap who was looking around and who had clearly researched the battery to,d us that the guns were from Britain and were exactly the same as those which had been fitted in the Royal Oak, which was sunk at Scapa Flow. That might give you some idea of th size of the guns! Pictures attached are 1) one of the guns, 2) the pool at Los Madriles, and 3) the site itself from the top of the peak behind the site, La Azohia on the coast in the background.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Alright, I'm already persuaded to go there!
That campsite looks pretty busy. What time of year was it?
It looks so pictures-scue. Great

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are booked on the ferry at the end of January, going to Benidorm for 3 months aiming to come back sometime in May, but not booked the return as we may stay longer. Can't wait, just hoping for a smooth crossing (Ha, some hope in Jan). Will see some of you down there no doubt.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The Guns at Cabo Tinoso were cast in Barrow in Furness (Vickers) and straightened at Vickers Armstrong on Tyneside. There is a plate on the base giving the makers.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
No dogs allowed at los Madriles. Does anyone have a suggestion for other sites in the area where dogs are accepted?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back