Almost 60, retire, live in MY. Good idea? (1 Viewer)

Robert 314

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
Converted van. 5 yrs exploring.
I have just handed in my resignation and plan to travel with my dog. Firstly just in the UK until I am fully acquainted with the MH. I am planning on staying in the Southwest (Somerset) area and wild 'camping' in area,s that I know are ok (my job as a CEO/Traffic Warden has some perks). Any advice or nice places in the SW for free overnight parking would be greatly appreciated.
If I can be of any assistance to any of you guys then please don,t hesitate to contact me.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! Unfortunately, many of the choice free camping spots are not publicised but you might be lucky and get some useful suggestions.

I am sure you know it is much easier the other side of the Channel, particularly France but also in Spain, especially in the winter.

I assume you are up to speed on the issues of not having a UK address, if that is going to be the case, and the cost of full time insurance?

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not enough info to recommend anything to be honest.

mortgage free home owner?

Renting?

Private or council assured tenancy?

Etc...etc....

Upvote 0

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
I have just handed in my resignation and plan to travel with my dog. Firstly just in the UK until I am fully acquainted with the MH. I am planning on staying in the Southwest (Somerset) area and wild 'camping' in area,s that I know are ok (my job as a CEO/Traffic Warden has some perks). Any advice or nice places in the SW for free overnight parking would be greatly appreciated.
If I can be of any assistance to any of you guys then please don,t hesitate to contact me.
Hi, I have not been on this forum for long but there seems a lot of negativity of wild camping, personally my wife and me and the dogs just want to walk and camp not pay ÂŁ20 odd pounds to fit in with folks sitting round in chairs, steve and nade.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi, I have not been on this forum for long but there seems a lot of negativity of wild camping, personally my wife and me and the dogs just want to walk and camp not pay ÂŁ20 odd pounds to fit in with folks sitting round in chairs, steve and nade.

A lot of people, like us, wild camp but are not so keen on the poor image given by those that trespass, park up for weeks at a time and give motor homers a bad reputation.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
A lot of people, like us, wild camp but are not so keen on the poor image given by those that trespass, park up for weeks at a time and give motor homers a bad reputation.
Further, so many who do wild camp are noe reluctant to share their hard found spots for the real fear that some numpty will abuse the spot and the landowner or local council will take steps to prevent its further use.

As regards the question in the title... go for it. I hope to do something along those lines when I reach a similar age

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Hi Robert Welcome to Fun, sounds like a great plan to me as you are looking for a new van it it's not brand new see if you can get one with Solar panels and good battery system it will be a good help when wild camping, many of us when wilding wether in UK or Europe /Morocco last without hardly going on electric hook ups, when getting your new van as you will be living in it check for a good pay load as well nothing worse than being to limited.
SW is way out of our area so can't help you there, but I am sure as you wonder around you will find some beautiful places.
I see you have used up your 5 free posts , it's well worth the ÂŁ15 a year for full membership you can ask as many questions as you need, someone will usually have been there and done it before.
Good luck with your new adventure. :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

We wild camp all the time but we make sure that we leave no evidence and no one hardly notices's we have stayed overnight.
You will soon have a library of wonderful places to stay overnight - all over the country.
Its amazing the places you will find if you keep an eye out.
There is no reason what so ever to pay ÂŁ20 a night when all you need is a parking spot.
I do think many people seek the security of camp sites, it's not that they need any of the facility's.

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I don't think it us so much negativity as not making it obvious and asking on an open forum for ideas of where to stop because as others have said it is like a flock of seagulls and so spoils it for everyone.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

You are right, you haven't been on this forum long if that's what you think we all do, you have an awful lot of catching up to do.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Sorry, no advice as to stopovers.

As to your plan... I'm very envious! I've just retired but husband has another year before he's free.... Enjoy!!!

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I full timed for a year and 9 months, a little of it wild camping, but mostly on sites.
I never had a problem stopping vernight in a layby. When my cat was having an op. I stayed for 3 nights in a layby near the vets, no problems so all. Be sensible with security, even if you have a dog with you. And look into insurance, UK address you will use for mail and insurance, registration etc.
I enjoyed the whole time. Only problem I encountered was when m/home had to be repaired and the one week estimate stretched to just under 3. Luckily a very kind friend invited me ( plus 2 dogs and 2 cats) to stay.
The only other thing I'd add is get a safe fitted. You have to carry a lt more with you when full timing so a secure safe will keep valuables safe.

Upvote 0

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
We wild camp all the time but we make sure that we leave no evidence and no one hardly notices's we have stayed overnight.
You will soon have a library of wonderful places to stay overnight - all over the country.
Its amazing the places you will find if you keep an eye out.
There is no reason what so ever to pay ÂŁ20 a night when all you need is a parking spot.
I do think many people seek the security of camp sites, it's not that they need any of the facility's.
You are right, you haven't been on this forum long if that's what you think we all do, you have an awful lot of catching up to do.
I think my post was very harsh and I apologise to all concerned, iam fearing losing my van and job so iam not in the best frame of mind and finding it difficult to think positive, hope things will get better so we can enjoy our van on and off sites.:oops:

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I think my post was very harsh and I apologise to all concerned, iam fearing losing my van and job so iam not in the best frame of mind and finding it difficult to think positive, hope things will get better so we can enjoy our van on and off sites.:oops:

Yeah a bit harsh - but we cant always understand the circumstances

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

Hope things work out the way you want them to.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@pigginchilli hope things improve for you not a nice situation to be in, wishing you all the best, I am sure we all post on times then think oops hot hat was not the best. :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Robert 314

Robert 314

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
Converted van. 5 yrs exploring.
As a total newbie and a ludite I would like to thank you all for responding and for your thoughts on my forethcoming adventure, whether they be posative or negative, Thank you one and all...it's appreciated.
I have spent several years 'wild camping' in my existing van and have never experienced any problem and I'm extremely responsible on where and when I park.
I wish I knew how to respond to individual comments but having paid my ÂŁ15 I'm sure I'll get the hang of this 'forum business'.
Just above this is a reply from Movan. Movan, I've spent alot of time travelling, wild camping and sorting my life out and I would never wish to be in another place. I do not want roots and relish every day. (Just seen a like button on your post movan)
Anyway folks...thank you and in the words of Arnie...."I'll be back!"

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I wish I knew how to respond to individual comments but having paid my ÂŁ15 I'm sure I'll get the hang of this 'forum business'.
@Robert 314 , when you want to reply to a specific person publicly, type the @ key, no space, then start typing their forum name - you'll get a drop-down box - click on the name you want - carry on typing (you have to leave the space that the programme automatically includes after their name). This will show on their page as an 'alert' :eek:
If you want to reply privately, click on the person's name just under their avatar (picture) then click on "start a conversation". This will show on their page under 'inbox' ;)
Welcome to the FUN
upload_2015-10-16_17-55-14.png

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Or you could click on the quote . That will quote their post and you can write a response underneath.
We aren't into sitting out in chairs on commercial sites either. We do go on them now and again when needs must. But prefer to use cl's or wild camp. Like @pigginchilli

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Best free loader statement I've heard yet.....

IS only joking.........

Upvote 0

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Welcome aboard, hope all goes well for you.

Bryan

Upvote 0

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Sums it up well, though........ the statement, that is. Made me laugh, visions of muttering ladies and their husbands with socks and sandals - site equivalent of net curtain twitching....
That's made me laugh, I want some advice on parking in otley but I might get some other advice by the sound of it!!!:censored:

Upvote 0

Old Gaffa

Free Member
Apr 5, 2015
Anywhere we park up
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
currently lost somewhere
I travel mostly in the South West and always wild camp when I can, there are plenty of places to stay and the more you travel the more spots you find. I must admit it isn't easy to blend in with a 30' RV but we manage. Broken Link Removed may be of some help. (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back