Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
Market survey

Having read some of the posts regarding camper stops ,what would your require as users

To make them have the Carlsberg factor !!. :unsure:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Location, water and waste is all we need. For us the location is the Carlsberg factor (y) Quite happy with a car park if it's in the right place.

Doesn't need to have anything else and doesn't need to be free.

You can keep adding facilities and before you know it you have something that's a campsite in all but name. The aire at Froncles is an example: It has electric, showers, a laundry and you can use awnings etc. It's €3 per night to stay there with equally small extra charges for the various extra bits done on an honesty basis.
What it doesn't have is the location. It's great if you just want somewhere quiet but there's nothing in the town apart from a Carrefour.

IMG_0035.jpg

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Enough room to walk around the unit with ease would be nice,and it would not have to be free,however,once you started to charge,i think you could be leaving yourselves wide open to a claim or something.
Tea Bag

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If Carlsberg did aires they'd be in Britain.

In France all I want is a working service point and a bit of grass to sit out on, maybe with a few picnic benches thrown in.

OP
OP
maxine and jo

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
If Carlsberg did aires they'd be in Britain.

In France all I want is a working service point and a bit of grass to sit out on, maybe with a few picnic benches thrown in.
It would be in spain thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A view is nice, but ease of access and decent size pitches are important too. People seem to rave about clean toilets and decent hot water in the showers.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I agree with @NickNic Water and waste (black) is ideal if the location is good. However, good location means different things to different people. A nominal fee is quite acceptable.

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Location and degree of facilities are a personal preference as we all have different 'likes'.
Being a newcomer to M.H.'ing we have been amazed with the difference in motorhome awareness in accommodating motorhomes in the UK compared to Europe, (even the old English 'brown road sign' depicts the outline of a tent and caravan...... maybe we should petition a change in the design to include a motorhome image !) :unsure::unsure: :whistle:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, as said before just the basic's but like to be near water i.e, rivers ,lake, canal or beach if possible , but when in transit to our region , somewhere quiet away from main roads. We always do quite a bit of research before going & always have a few back up aires just in case.

OP
OP
maxine and jo

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
rivers ,lake, canal or beach if possible , but when in transit to our region , somewhere quiet away from main roads
All above close by thanks for your input:)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
You could do a "French/France" Passion idea,if someone was to phone ahead about staying over,have you thought of offering a meal ? I know it would be hard work for some people,and it won't make you rich,but the idea allways appealed to me when reading the brochure when i was a member.
Just a thought.
Tea Bag

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
As others have said, location is important. We can usually manage without water and waste disposal for a couple of days.

This is one of our favourite aires, at Charmes in France. 7 euros a night if I remember rightly, including water and electric. Also cheap wifi available too. We don't watch the tele when we are abroad but we do like to have wifi if we can.

Paul

Charmes.JPG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A lot of aires are no more than carparks with barely enough room to open the door.. in fact many are just car parks with motorhome bays... only meant to be used for 24hrs..

so for me, basic facilities and SPACE .. preferably with enough to put up the awning and sit out without listening to next door having a bang.. or smell their SOG.

peaceful away from road noise etc.. nice view and shade in summer... without time limit

But aires/camper stops are only meant for 24 - 48 hr stops.. not camping.. so perhaps a CL would be a better description for your survey ?

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I agree with @NickNic Water and waste (black) is ideal if the location is good. However, good location means different things to different people. A nominal fee is quite acceptable.

Yes it is nice...But if Aire in a popular location where land costs more its going to be more expensive, just like campsites

OP
OP
maxine and jo

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
location is important

carparks with barely enough room to open the door..
Hi just got in from work ,thanks for your info it is helping us build a better idea of the general needs
a campsite is not what we would be interested in .:)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Apart from ehu and water, waste black and grey I like plenty space and privacy between units. I'm happy to use my own toilet and shower facilites. Dogs welcomed and exercise area.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you are somewhere people want to be they will come regardless of what facilities you offer. If you're somewhere nobody wants to be then they won't come, also regardless of your facilities.

Off the top of my head two very popular large aires are Honfleur and Chamonix. Both are carparks, both quite expensive. Honfleur has some (not many) electric points but other than that both just have basic waste and water.

Both of them get absolutely rammed solid at times. That isn't because of the lovely facilities they provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back