Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just seen a small laptop in Tescos for £299 ::bigsmile:

Anyone got one or know owt about em :RollEyes:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-7721.aspx

It does not have a DVD. While this is not a problem for me as I dont play DVD on the laptop, but what other problems can this cause? Thinking mainly about loading programmes via DVD.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
It has mixed reviews, this one Link Removed sums it up. Basically a good performer with some problems.

An absence of a DVD drive isn't a problem since you can easily get an external (usb) drive.

bjderbys

Free Member
Oct 1, 2008
DERBY
Funster No
Exp
Here is another from NETTO £199.99

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Not a bad machine. Quality wise the Lenovo is better.

The market leader is the Acer Aspire One range.

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Samsung NC10

I've had a Samsung NC10 for a couple of months. Very pleased with it

FOR:
Best keyboard going
At least 5 hours battery life
Bright adjustable screen
Great WiFi
Runs happily on my inverter (Large Dell laptop overloaded it when working)
Very easy to carry to WiFi spots - fits in poacher pocket!

Against:
Pretty pathetic speakers
Shiny case
No good for really serious hard multi-tasking work as processing power is kept low - can't hear the fan even when it's on which is not often as it does not get hot.

Price around £300

Well worth looking at on-line reviews as many sub-notebooks are appearing.

BW

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Here's the Acer Aspire One at Tesco Link Removed

I have the 8.9" version.

Running Windows 7 is great on these.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The thing to remember with these machines is that they are Netbooks and not Laptops in the traditional sense of laptops.

They are designed for Internet surfing and storing media files created on the move rather than being used as desktop replacements.

Fine if that is what you want but not the same as a full blown laptop.

Having taken a laptop away with us on trips for a couple of years we bought a netbook a few months ago as we found it more convenient - but it's a matter of personal preference & horses for courses.

Graham

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
The nice girl / lady (well she was a lot younger than me :roflmto:) said that the Vodafone dongle doesn't work on Acer notebooks.

Good job I don't have one then (notebook I mean), coz it works fine on my Acer Laptop. :thumb:

John

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Strange,

I've used one on mine.

Maybe true for the Linpus (linux) version they do I suppose as support for that is somewhat lacking. Can't see an issue with either XP or Windows 7.

Tailendcharley

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Funster No
I also find that strange....I have an Acer netbook with windows XP and I use a Vodafone dongle...works perfectly...no problems :Smile::Smile:

Regards

Smithy:thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The nice girl / lady (well she was a lot younger than me :roflmto:) said that the Vodafone dongle doesn't work on Acer notebooks.

Good job I don't have one then (notebook I mean), coz it works fine on my Acer Laptop. :thumb:

John

She has to be referring to machines with Linux rather than Windows OS. When we bought our netbook we deliberately bought one running Windows XP because our T-Mobile dongle doesn't have drivers for Linux systems.

I'm pretty sure I've read that some dongles on the market now (ours was bought in February 2008) have Linux drivers. There are also some netbooks on the market which use Linux and have the mobile Internet facility built in (so don't need a separate dongle).

Graham

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The thing to remember with these machines is that they are Netbooks and not Laptops in the traditional sense of laptops.

They are designed for Internet surfing and storing media files created on the move rather than being used as desktop replacements.

Fine if that is what you want but not the same as a full blown laptop.
I can understand the portability feature of these things, but for me, using a 'full blown laptop' is about as small as i can 'downsize' to. Even then, i struggle to use the the cursor fingerpads so revert to sticking a mouse in my laptop.

Making smaller pc's is all fine and ok, but old farts like me can barely see the damn keys, let alone use them!

My son has some kind of fancy mobile phone which you can also use as a pocket pc complete with qwerty keyboard, but the keys are so damn small you cant use fingers to operate it....you have to use a pen!:RollEyes:

As for sound 'performance' from these notebooks......what do folk expect from tiny tin cans?? Half a watt of Led Zeppelin or Hendrix would blow the thing to bits!

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Dell inspiron is an ok machine, be carefull as they do have a tendancy to overheat.
Also STAY away from the Linux machines and any Mobile internet dongle will not work to my experience.
They are good for surfing but can be a bit slow.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can understand the portability feature of these things, but for me, using a 'full blown laptop' is about as small as i can 'downsize' to. Even then, i struggle to use the the cursor fingerpads so revert to sticking a mouse in my laptop.

Making smaller pc's is all fine and ok, but old farts like me can barely see the damn keys, let alone use them!

My son has some kind of fancy mobile phone which you can also use as a pocket pc complete with qwerty keyboard, but the keys are so damn small you cant use fingers to operate it....you have to use a pen!:RollEyes:

As for sound 'performance' from these notebooks......what do folk expect from tiny tin cans?? Half a watt of Led Zeppelin or Hendrix would blow the thing to bits!

I, too, use a mouse with our various laptops/netbooks. I've never been able to get away with touchpads. I was actually pleasantly surprised as to how well laid out the keyboard on the netbook is. I make fewer typing mistakes than with some conventional laptops we've had.

I use my iPod and docking station for blasting my eardrums ::bigsmile:

All in all the things are just tools - and the best tool for each of us is the one we are happy using :Smile:

Graham

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Aspire One and Vodafone dongle

I use the Linux (Linpus) version of the Acer Aspire One and it has a Vodafone dongle which works just fine. You just have to download the 3G manager from the Acer site.

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
I have an Acer Aspire one 8.9 screen 512mb ram 160gb hard disk bought from Bowlers computer market Traford park manchester £180 brand new in the box with warranty.
I upgradded the ram to 1.5gb (not for the faint hearted)has windows xp on it and is perfect for traveling you can watch films on it surf the web play music and if the screen is not big enough for the movies or surfing the web i plug it into my 26 widscreen tv in the 5ver.
As for the dvd rom side of thing i have a memory stick 16gb and transfer things with that. Also have bluetooth dongle, wifi home made parabolic dish to pick up free wifi upto 3 miles away:Eeek: if i cannot get a signal i use a 3G usb modem unlocked to any network and use pay as you go sim card in it.
The the best one for me has been a pay as you go 3G phone sim card (99p ebay)put £10 credit on it go to add ons add internet for a month £5 and then take it out of you phone and put in the 3G usb modem cheap internet for £5month. So for me this laptop can and will do everything that a big laptop will do.

Happy DayZZZ:thumb::thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
try here Link Removed
I would not let the no DVD issue bother me as already said you can get an external usb one.

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
I have the dell mini 10, bought it for emergency when my acer went down, paid a little more for it from pcworld but same machine that tesco's are doing.

It was terrible when i got it, screen res and mouse were apaling, however i formatted it and loaded it back up and now I love it. The mouse can be a pain due to it having to many functions but without installing the proper driver and just letting windows manage it i've found it pretty good.

Its going to stratford with me tonight, anyone wants to have a look your more than willing.

Regards

Kevin

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Strange,

I've used one on mine.

Maybe true for the Linpus (linux) version they do I suppose as support for that is somewhat lacking. Can't see an issue with either XP or Windows 7.

I also find that strange....I have an Acer netbook with windows XP and I use a Vodafone dongle...works perfectly...no problems :Smile::Smile:

Regards

Smithy:thumb::thumb:

I use the Linux (Linpus) version of the Acer Aspire One and it has a Vodafone dongle which works just fine. You just have to download the 3G manager from the Acer site.

Ah well! Pretty lady was wrong, but she was pretty (sexist b****r):roflmto:
So I won't hold it against her (keep it clean!!!!:Blush::Doh:)

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back