Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We're already planning next years trip...!

We'd like to incorporate Sardinia for roughly the month of May.

Has anyone who has been there any top tips on campsites [with direct beach access] and ferries?

Thanks in advance!(y):)

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
We did Sardinia and Corsica on our bikes a couple of years ago. Moby Lines Ferries (German) were a pleasure to deal with as was the French Ferry from Corsica to Marseille. I would avoid Traghetti (Italian), they took the money then never responded to e.mails or returned calls, only had reference number, no tickets, bit of an argument in the ticket office but we got on.
Stayed in B&Bs so cannot help with campsites.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
had a greet trip to Sardinia and Corsica years back..brill. we flew and hired car. roads can be difficult...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We were wondering if the roads had got better over the last few years, from what I have read the east coast of Corsica is better than the west. We would love to do both Islands next year happy to just stay in 2 or 3 places on each Island then hire a car. Would really appreciate any recent information too. Looks fabulous.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Saw some motorhomes waiting for ferry in Nice which made us think it was possible, in my googling I also read somewhere that you can get a cheaper ticket for both islands.
image.jpeg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We were wondering if the roads had got better over the last few years, from what I have read the east coast of Corsica is better than the west. We would love to do both Islands next year happy to just stay in 2 or 3 places on each Island then hire a car. Would really appreciate any recent information too. Looks fabulous.

Yes west Corscia mountains worse roads I have ever driven, but that was many years ago. East side far flatter. where most of the interest is anyway...

Sardinia Italian, Corsica Corsican:) even if the french own it.....call a Corsican a Frenchman you will be found gutted hanging from a local tree:D

Seriously though, they have their own version of the IRA or used to....

Edit: they stood down in 2014

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
We only took our bikes but all the main roads were good, going up some of the mountain roads in Corsica was tight. I think it was last year the Tour de France went to Corsica, they got about ok.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I will be watching this thread as we have exactly the same plan. Ferry booked to Santander 15th April already and then looking at a ferry from Barcelona circa end of the month. Not got into depth yet just decided that's the plan. What is the best ferry from Barcelona?

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Used to be kidnap country a few years ago.
Superb food, we would call it organic, there it is the norm. Mmmm wild boar!!!
Tried Seedas, a sort of dessert pasty, supposed to be Sardinia's national dish, must have gone to the wrong places.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
About five years ago we stayed at Camping Baia Saraceno in the north of the island, outside the seaside town of Palau. We stayed in a little cottage, but there were plenty of motorhomes there. Right on the water's edge - lovely scenery. Wonderful swimming. And a pleasant restaurant too.

http://www.baiasaraceno.com/en/

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x12d942df6b158a59:0xee5e4499a909189a

Mike

Edited to add: check out the pics on their flikr album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80804357@N04/show/

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Went to Sicily in my late teens it was a scream! If Sardinia is anything like that I would really want to go. Wouldn't wild camp though!

Looks lovely @mikebeaches !

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi

We spent a month in Sardinia in 2012. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We did originally wanted to do Sardinia and Corsica but in the end decided to stay in Sardinia and go to Corsica in 2013.

It was significantly cheaper to get a ferry from italy than France so we went to Florence and Rome first and then sailed from Civitavecchia and then sailed back into Livorno ( both booked as singles).

There is a good dual carriageway right through the middle of the island if you want to get around quickly but the mountain and costal roads are much more scenic.

There are Sostas as well as campsites but with the ACSi deal the price difference wasnt much so it came down solely to location.

We wildcamped quite a bit Budoni and Pointe de Nora both on the beach. capo pecora on a headland with great views.

Our favorite place was Vignola Mare, on the sosta, this doesnt have a view but such a nice feel and a 2 minute walk to a great beach. and bars

Buggeru is a fab view but sosta is a bit crappy.

Cala Gonone was absolutely stunning but expensive.

We didnt like Cagliari

Overall we thought that Corsica overall edged it on the prettiness but sardinia was more motorhome freindly.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi

We spent a month in Sardinia in 2012. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We did originally wanted to do Sardinia and Corsica but in the end decided to stay in Sardinia and go to Corsica in 2013.

It was significantly cheaper to get a ferry from italy than France so we went to Florence and Rome first and then sailed from Civitavecchia and then sailed back into Livorno ( both booked as singles).

There is a good dual carriageway right through the middle of the island if you want to get around quickly but the mountain and costal roads are much more scenic.

There are Sostas as well as campsites but with the ACSi deal the price difference wasnt much so it came down solely to location.

We wildcamped quite a bit Budoni and Pointe de Nora both on the beach. capo pecora on a headland with great views.

Our favorite place was Vignola Mare, on the sosta, this doesnt have a view but such a nice feel and a 2 minute walk to a great beach. and bars

Buggeru is a fab view but sosta is a bit crappy.

Cala Gonone was absolutely stunning but expensive.

We didnt like Cagliari

Overall we thought that Corsica overall edged it on the prettiness but sardinia was more motorhome freindly.
Very useful post thank you. I hadn't thought about sailing from so far down Italy. I assume this ferry went to Sardinia?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
yes, but the main reason was that the weather forecast wasnt great so we decided to go to Rome first and then went from there.

If we were going directly we would probably go from Livorno, or Genoa for corsica.

Incidentally - check the mileage from calais to Genoa ( going via luxemburg swiss) or Calais to Nice, nothing in it but tolls so much cheaper.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
The ferry from St Teresa to Bonifacio is well worth doing, the houses on the cliff above Bonifacio defy gravity. Serious climb out of Bonifacio Harbour though, we were held at the bottom until it was clear, we would have struggled to stop on it.It was also the roughest sea crossing I have ever been on, it was in July, 40 degrees, blue skies and I have travelled all over Europe.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The ferry from St Teresa to Bonifacio is well worth doing, the houses on the cliff above Bonifacio defy gravity. Serious climb out of Bonifacio Harbour though, we were held at the bottom until it was clear, we would have struggled to stop on it.It was also the roughest sea crossing I have ever been on, it was in July, 40 degrees, blue skies and I have travelled all over Europe.

We are pretty long at 9.2 metres and not looking to get stuck anywhere! Nice looked ok but open to other decent routes.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
We are pretty long at 9.2 metres and not looking to get stuck anywhere! Nice looked ok but open to other decent routes.

I think at 9.2 meters you will have to plan carefully, probably expensive on the ferries as well. There were a lot of roads I would not take a tag axle up, bends as well inclines would be a problem, Corsica more so than Sardinia

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think at 9.2 meters you will have to plan carefully, probably expensive on the ferries as well. There were a lot of roads I would not take a tag axle up, bends as well inclines would be a problem, Corsica more so than Sardinia

Thanks for that, thats why we thought just a couple of sites on each island! We wont move around much between sites in the MH. I will email a few sites to make sure they can take us and that we can get there. We arent too tall or wide so thats a bonus and we are used to tight parking!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
MMM the motorhomes magazine had a great article on a Corsica trip in the September 2015 issue. Best way to travel, campsites, places to visit, etc all usual stuff. You should be able to get a back issue on line or by ordering from them.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I dont think you would have a problem in sardinia.

The east side of Corsica is easy enough as its a good N road most of the way down, Parts of the west and south west are best avoided, Its obvious which bits when you look at a map.

Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back