Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Luton
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have hella wrap around tail lights on our 2006 autoquest, the drivers side brake and tail light isn't working. I've changed the bulb with no success, the connection is a little corroded and the bulb holder doesn't fit very well. Has anyone had similar problems and come up with an ingenious solution to this problem? Can you just replace the holder alone or does it just need a good clean?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi personally I would check continuity along the line /fuse to the bulb before spending any beer money :)but hope you get it sorted

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try a good clean with some coarse wet n dry then wire wool and wd40.
Only 2 x screws holding the metal strip on.
I dont think you can get the metal strip with the bulb holders on its own. (Could be wrong)
A new complete light assembly is around £65

Also ensure there is no corrosion on the actual bulbs and check the spade terminals on the wiring....replace if they, or the wire, are corroded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Willnr

Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Luton
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for that, I'll get the multimeter out next then. All the relative fuses are ok.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Willnr

Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Luton
Exp
I'm a newbie
And the wd40, 65 quid is a lot of beer. I know which I prefer to spend the money on:D

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Its a very common issue that comes up time and again. you are fortunate the van is 2006 so prior to canbus wiring. one long term solution is to change the bulbs out for LEDs and solder them directly into the wiring
another issue is a bad earth on the cluster or back where it joins the chassis. easy enough to fix

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm getting lack of lights problems too. All the bulbs have proved to be fine up to now just corrosion on the contacts/terminals. The high level brake light took me two attempts to get right as it has eight cap less bulbs in it and it was a right pain to clean everything up properly. Good luck (y)

Upvote 0

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
I'm getting lack of lights problems too. All the bulbs have proved to be fine up to now just corrosion on the contacts/terminals. The high level brake light took me two attempts to get right as it has eight cap less bulbs in it and it was a right pain to clean everything up properly. Good luck (y)
I got my van in Sept last and by the spring I had changed all the bulbs for LED's no further trouble

Upvote 0

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
We have hella wrap around tail lights on our 2006 autoquest, the drivers side brake and tail light isn't working. I've changed the bulb with no success, the connection is a little corroded and the bulb holder doesn't fit very well. Has anyone had similar problems and come up with an ingenious solution to this problem? Can you just replace the holder alone or does it just need a good clean?
I would cut your loses and replace units and put in LED's no more trouble

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I would cut your loses and replace units and put in LED's no more trouble
I've got a 2004 Ducato 2,8 can I change my rear lights for LED.I always thought I had canbus and couldn't replace them.I don't know anything about electrics.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the fine would be more than 65 pounds plus 3 points you get pulled a light not working
Only if you dont get it fixed in the given time line.

If stopped you get a "fix it" ticket.
You have a set time to get it professionally repaired (garage workshop) then take the completed (by the garage) ticket to the police station.
Failure to comply results in a fine otherwise all sorted.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've got a 2004 Ducato 2,8 can I change my rear lights for LED.I always thought I had canbus and couldn't replace them.I don't know anything about electrics.
Providing you buy the correct CANBUS COMPATIBLE led lights you can.
They have a resistor inside which fools the canbus system into seeing a correct filament type bulb.
Standard leds have the wrong resistance and the canbus will see it as a failed bulb.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes that vintage is pre canbus

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have fixed problems like this on numerous occasions, sometimes its just a corroded bulb holder, sometimes its actually a failed bulb but often it is a combination of issues caused by poor quality wiring and connections. Have a look at the various connections in the wiring to the light units. There's usually a multi connector just under the floor at the rear, behind each light unit and these often get corroded creating high resistances which stop various lights working.

As an aside I really don't understand why so many people are scared of/worried about CANBUS, it really doesn't make fixing rear light problems any more difficult, in fact one real advantage is that the dashboard tells you when a light isn't working which didn't happen pre CANBUS systems.

D.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back