Safe stopover needed in Manchester - near Old Trafford (1 Viewer)

Adamantc

Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Hi everyone, just joined and this is my first post. Hope someone can help. We are visiting Manchester for a night in half term and would like somewhere near the centre for a stopover. ( we had hoped to stay at the Village Inn but they say they will be full due to the football) does anyone know of any other sympathetic pubs, venues where we can stay for the night?:)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Not wishing to upset any Mancs on here but I'm not sure 'near Old Trafford' is the best place to stay. How close do you really need to be?

OP
OP
A

Adamantc

Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
My son is going to the match on Wednesday night so ideally within walking distance. Alternatively I could meet him afterwards and drive out if there is somewhere fairly local.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
My son is going to the match on Wednesday night so ideally within walking distance. Alternatively I could meet him afterwards and drive out if there is somewhere fairly local.

To be honest your probably struggling to stay close to the ground, but you could go into Trafford Park and park at the truck stop
It's about a 15/20 min walk to the the palace and safer than staying in OT/Stretford/Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
There is a Caravan Site nr Lymm, but the traffic both picking up and dropping off can be a nightmare
It's about 25 min drive to the ground and you would be better staying near the ground until the games over and get your son to walk (10 mins) and meet you

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
We usually stay at Burrs country park Bury, then easy metro link into city,
Sure you can get to old Trafford that way then on return journey a taxi from Bury stn back to caravan park is 5 or 6 pound, best of luck.

Eric

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When there is a cycling event at the velodrome I have seen motorhomes parked up there for the night. The tram stops there , how far this is from where you want to be I have no idea.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
When there is a cycling event at the velodrome I have seen motorhomes parked up there for the night. The tram stops there , how far this is from where you want to be I have no idea.
To near the council house (city ground) and its full of bandits around there
About 20/25 to Utd with traffic

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi everyone, just joined and this is my first post. Hope someone can help. We are visiting Manchester for a night in half term and would like somewhere near the centre for a stopover. ( we had hoped to stay at the Village Inn but they say they will be full due to the football) does anyone know of any other sympathetic pubs, venues where we can stay for the night?:)

Don't know of anywhere but just wanted to point out that Old Trafford is nowhere near the centre of Manchester. You can be close to one or the other, not both (y)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Swmbo has got her uses, !!!, one of her works contacts is entertaining us at the 'Derby' match on the 25 th

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
(y)
Don't know of anywhere but just wanted to point out that Old Trafford is nowhere near the centre of Manchester. You can be close to one or the other, not both (y)
If you call less than 2 miles as nowhere near then your correct(y)

OP
OP
A

Adamantc

Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Hi all, thanks for the advice and banter. I've been advised I might get away with parking at Lancashire Cricket Ground (any ideas). Their website says they do 24 hour parking and match day parking. Not sure that staying out of the area I could rely on public transport as my son wants to stay back and get some Autographs from the United players. Being a 'Boro supporter it's not often he'll get the chance.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ah, Lancashire Cricket Ground. Thanks to that bitch Thatcher it's no longer anywhere near Lancashire it's in bloody Greater Manchester. :mad: Rant over. :whistle:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi all, thanks for the advice and banter. I've been advised I might get away with parking at Lancashire Cricket Ground (any ideas). Their website says they do 24 hour parking and match day parking. Not sure that staying out of the area I could rely on public transport as my son wants to stay back and get some Autographs from the United players. Being a 'Boro supporter it's not often he'll get the chance.
If you can excellent, as its a 5 min walk to the theatre of dreams, enjoy

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there's a nice pub 1/2 mile away that may let you park up for the night. The Rovers Return it's called

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
If that's the one in Salford wasn't it burned down a while ago: Par for the area.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Take him to watch it in the pub and get the autographs at the Riverside after the replay :D

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If you park on the side streets to the west of the ground around the Westinghouse Road/Europa Way area the local authority operate a parking charge for the evening of the match. £3 last time I was there, payable by mobile phone to the number displayed on nearby street signs. I think it's a scam and the cash goes to Man City.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back