offline mapping (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
I am having great difficulties with mapsme which when it is working is great but..... Has anyone got any other reccomendations for offline maps and routing. we will shortly be starting our previously cancelled trip across France to Spain and the off line maps etc are very, very useful. Any helpful suggestions much appreciated.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
I am having great difficulties with mapsme which when it is working is great but..... Has anyone got any other reccomendations for offline maps and routing. we will shortly be starting our previously cancelled trip across France to Spain and the off line maps etc are very, very useful. Any helpful suggestions much appreciated.

Not too sure what you mean as I have never heard of 'mapsme', but I have a Garmin Nuvi 2699 for navigation.
I also have Garmin Home camp (free download) that allows me to plan a route on my computer and then download it to my Garmin, also I can upload routs/tracks from the Garmin and save them to Home camp.

(y)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Always found Maps.me very good but I don't use for sat nav. Finding places and loads of poi's if looking for camp sites super markets etc. It will also load any klm file off Google earth so transfer your maps and use offline.
Co-Pilot is the best for directions, a lot of folks on here use it. It's not free but it works well.

Edit: One better thing about Co-Pilot you can set it to Motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
CoPilot been using it for a year now and its made our Garmin redundant.
Brilliant mapping and route altering options plus alternative routes plus toll non toll or limited toll. Came back from Croatia 3 days ago cost less than 50 euros just automatically avoided as many pay sections as possible without adding hours.
Mapping and satnav all in one makes satnavs oldhat brilliant and has a motorhome rv setting.

OP
OP
bonniechris
Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
many thanks for replies I will look at co-pilot. maps.me always been good for walking to poi around the aires when stopped but as I said it keeps crashing.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I have app Navmii.seems to work ok.as long as you have plenty of space on your phone for it

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
OSMAnd is an smartphone App very comprehensive, fully offline, interface a bit complex though. We try to use it instead of paper maps have tried Maps.ME and some others, not found the ideal app yet, still like paper maps.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
What's wrong with a good old fashioned map!!

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What's wrong with a good old fashioned map!!
Can be expensive to get the same coverage and level of detail as the software also storage, in my phone I have maps for the UK and if I want Europe, at the same or higher levels of details thatn paper and up to date.

But as I say I still like paper, just not found the right software yet!

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
@bonniechris
We use Microsoft AutoRoute Europe 2013 is fantastic for offline route planning it is no longer produced but you may be able to find the retail version somewhere. You can drill down almost to the foot. And it will calculate the best route according to your requirements and with the addition of a GPS dongle will actually record your every move.
We have a small EeePC which has a solid state drive and runs win10 fine running on the dash so we can see exactly where we have been. We use a TomTom for actual turn by turn navigation.
Below you can see a complete trace of every inch we travelled in our recent Croatia Trip.
Steve
Croatia.JPG

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
@keith @Forestboy

With the Co-pilot (for ipad in my case) there are a lot of different apps.
As my future MH is 5.3t, 8 metre and 3.2 metre high do I go for "Truck HD Europe" or one of the car ones (presumably with an option to select "motorhome" or input dimensions?)?
Which do you guys use?

Also the car one for "Europe", if it is the "car" version that you use with a "motorhome" setting, versus a set of different apps by country or region (eg Italy, Iberia etc) - is there a difference in scale or are they the same maps (if you happen to know)? If the Europe and country/region versions are the same scale then obviously the Europe version would be considerably cheaper than a set country ones.

The Truck Europe one is £95, Europe for cars is £27 and the range of country/region ones for car are £14 each. I'm looking at the Apple itunes page here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/developer/alk-technologies-ltd./id324327454

Whilst the van I'm getting does have a satnav already installed I have been looking for something to go on the iPad that I can browse in the pub and/or offline.
TIA for any advice, it looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Edit to switch to UK app page & prices

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I just use the car one set to motorhome never have any issues and have checked it several times against car setting. It picks the optimum route for the motorhome which is often a different route to the one it would choose for car. My van is a tag axle 5 tonne 7.7 metres long. When running it along Garmin it always picked a better route hence we no longer use the Garmin.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@bonniechris
We use Microsoft AutoRoute Europe 2013 is fantastic for offline route planning it is no longer produced but you may be able to find the retail version somewhere. You can drill down almost to the foot. And it will calculate the best route according to your requirements and with the addition of a GPS dongle will actually record your every move.
We have a small EeePC which has a solid state drive and runs win10 fine running on the dash so we can see exactly where we have been. We use a TomTom for actual turn by turn navigation.
Below you can see a complete trace of every inch we travelled in our recent Croatia Trip.
Steve
View attachment 79034

I also use Microsoft Autoroute Europe. I missed the deadline for buying the 2013 Edition but there are a few people in USA selling it. I know that I am taking a bit of a gamble but have bought one today. :cool:

I don't know of a comparable product for Windows.

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Thanks @Forestboy, your van and mine would have similar restrictions or road preferences . And you're using the Europe version or did you buy a set of different countries/regions?
I wonder why the Truck Europe version is three times the price of the car Europe one?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yes Europe version got it on a special about £25.00 I think.
Makes a gps look expensive eh!!
Especially when you look at the route planning and alternative route options.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Route planning,or in my case Trip planning, it never goes according to plan in fact on our current trip we had a plan but were delayed which resulted in a change of plan because the later departure meant it needed rethinking and I couldn't be bothered rethinking! So we got out of the Tunnel in France and had no idea which way to go,should we turn right or left and this happens most of the time.

We always get there it's just that we don't know where we are going really and this is what I love about Motorhoming, as I used to say to my children it'll be around the next corner!!

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
@keith @Forestboy

With the Co-pilot (for ipad in my case) there are a lot of different apps.
As my future MH is 5.3t, 8 metre and 3.2 metre high do I go for "Truck HD Europe" or one of the car ones (presumably with an option to select "motorhome" or input dimensions?)?
Which do you guys use?

Also the car one for "Europe", if it is the "car" version that you use with a "motorhome" setting, versus a set of different apps by country or region (eg Italy, Iberia etc) - is there a difference in scale or are they the same maps (if you happen to know)? If the Europe and country/region versions are the same scale then obviously the Europe version would be considerably cheaper than a set country ones.

The Truck Europe one is £95, Europe for cars is £27 and the range of country/region ones for car are £14 each. I'm looking at the Apple itunes page here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/developer/alk-technologies-ltd./id324327454

Whilst the van I'm getting does have a satnav already installed I have been looking for something to go on the iPad that I can browse in the pub and/or offline.
TIA for any advice, it looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Edit to switch to UK app page & prices

I would definitely get the Truck app, I have it now having previously had the car version. With a rig that big you need to be able to put the dimensions in for bridges, narrow roads etc. Unless it has changed, you cannot put in vehicle dimensions in the car app although it does have a motorhome setting. The truck version also lets you choose whether to show restricted roads etc and also put custom speeds in for different road types, you can also choose different profiles for the rig such as 'avoid tolls' or 'use tolls' and quickly switch between them to see the effect on your journey. Not sure if you can do this with the car app as I don't use it because...I don't own a car anymore!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry if this is a bit of a numpty question but with Co pilot, how do you use it, load it onto a tablet and have this mounted on the dash and use as "conventional" sat nav ? Does it need internet connection to work ?
I had been considering the 7" chinese sat nav but maybe this is a better option.
PS I have a Hudle 2 tablet

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Oh dear... :eek: so do I go for the Truck Europe (£95 - customisable dimensions, speeds) or the car one (£27 - with RV setting)?

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
@Figaro - the lads Forestboy & SMB will be better placed to answer your questions... but as far as I can tell the app is both a satnav (with a gps enabled tablet - or smartphone-, or a tablet with a gps gizmo plugged into it, e.g. Garmin GLO gps receiver), perhaps with a dashboard or windscreen mount, as well as an offline route-planning map resource. So it's both online & offline, but it only needs the gps function of the device (tablet or smartphone) to be a satnav as opposed to an actual live internet connection (if I understand things correctly).
There is a free version and paid versions for car (with an RV setting) and truck (further customisable). The prices I quoted above are for Apple ipad.

The Co-Pilot support pages are pretty comprehensive: Broken Link Removed

Edit to add - re internet connection question @Figaro , an internet data connection is needed for the "Active Traffic" optional extra but not for the regular satnav usage which requires only the gps functionality of the device (or device + attached gps receiver). Using gps does not require any active internet connection (as far as I understand). Given the difficulties and costs of data connection when moving across Europe I don't think I'll be going to the hassle of using the Active Traffic option. In the Truck pages it says this about average data usage for the Active Traffic thingy: "Road - 1 hr roughly 49 miles = 160 KB
Road - 8 hrs on 5 days / week for 4 weeks (20 days), data usage would be approximately 27 MB"

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Oh dear... :eek: so do I go for the Truck Europe (£95 - customisable dimensions, speeds) or the car one (£27 - with RV setting)?

Up to you pay your money take your chance.
Personally I wouldn't waste £95.00 but its your money as I said my m/home is not small and we travel 6 months a year to some pretty extreme places and Copilot hasn't given one moments worry.

Use it on a Samsung S5 on a dash mount with a 12v connection as it will use a lot of battery, doesn't need an internet connection once its downloaded onto your device. Have a 1000 tunes on there as well as it being a phone so its 3 in one great setup as I said far superior to any and all satnavs. We've tried them all TT Snooper Garmin and cheapo Chinese jobs nothing gets close to Gopilot. By the way the most expensive the Snooper Truck was the worst, the reason I wouldn't by a so called truck one.
Good luck(y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`ve just been having a look on ebay for a gps receiver that I would need and not sure what I`m meant to be looking for ??? They seem to need to plug into full size USB, but the hudle only has a micro one (as per smartphone size)
Anyone know what I should be looking for, would a bluetooth one work ok on this set up ?

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
@Figaro you could try and email the manufacturer of a particular model and ask if it is possible to use a different output cable (i.e. one with a micro-usb plug on the end)... or perhaps micro-usb is not suitable for that kind of data transfer (??)... or is there such thing as a usb-microusb adaptor...?
This is the one I saw on Amazon:
A gps receiver with a bluetooth capability might exist but I haven't noticed one, you'll have to search to find out (or someone more knowledgeable than me might chip in)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Garmin BaseCamp is excellent for off line planning of your intended route, then simply up-load it into your Garmin Sat Nav and away you go with the Sat Nav following the route you have planned. BaseCamp for your computer is a free download as well. Another bonus if you have connection is that you can use in conjunction with Google Earth which will transpose your route onto it so you can zoom in and check out roads, bridges or whatever.

Screenshot (37).png

OP
OP
bonniechris
Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
we have a hudle 2 and it has satelite gps built in. attachment not required. navmii tells us exactly where we are, no probs. if you wish to download to your hudle, adapter leads are available on e-bay mini male usb to female standard usb. very useful for memory sticks for music and films etc.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
@bonniechris
Steve
View attachment 79034

Sad to report but 2013 IS the last one ever. Microsoft no longer support it Or the US (Streets and Trips) version.

I an still using the 2006 version. which is OK for general route planning but it has to be cross checked with Tom Tom before"live use".

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back