"MotorhomeFun News Roundup" -email we all receive each week. (1 Viewer)

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Just in case any other members like myself were wondering how my post last week “CARTHAGO STAND – NEC SHOW – Funsters offer” didn’t get included under “ Threads with the most views” although it did if fact GET the Most views.

Well – I’ve asked the Editor (Jim) and he tells me that he has no idea , he doesn’t choose them, the newsletter software does, using an algorithm of Views/Replies/likes. Mystery solved eh! Down to that software thing again – I wonder what it will make of this post? Thank you Jim for the explanation.

By the way I do think it’s a GREAT way for ALL members to keep up with the latest Threads/ Posts each week - I’m not sure how many members come on the forum each week but there have been times when I and many others I feel sure have not done so.

For me the weekly News Roundup serves to keep me abreast of what are indeed the most viewed / Posts/ threads/stories of that week and the total content is very informative (the “Featured Thread” "Rome'n around Italy" again in last weeks issue being particularly good) – it gives me an instant access to a particular post of interest - thank you James Brown (Jim) Motorhome Enthusiast – editor of the news letter.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
I have not received any for a long time, and then I only couple since I have been a member

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect Jim is being disingenuous! The thread was effectively an advert for one specific dealer who I guess doesn't otherwise pay for advertising on this site. Why should Jim then give them free advertising?

Of course it was an offer some on here might want to take advantage of but I guess there are lots of other offers available at the NEC this week. Why single one out specifically?

Or perhaps it might have been because the Thread deteriorated towards the end with a bit of what might be termed "snappiness"? Not a good example of the best of MHF at that point.*

But never mind, by starting another thread and luring me into replying you get a second bite at the cherry! Are you on commission? :)

But I didn't get the Newsletter either so it would have made no difference whether the item was in it or not. :D

*The real reason I suspect.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Check your junk mail, I quite often get something I didn't know about go direct to junk mail when "computer says no" (y):D

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I suspect Jim is being disingenuous! The thread was effectively an advert for one specific dealer who I guess doesn't otherwise pay for advertising on this site. Why should Jim then give them free advertising?

Of course it was an offer some on here might want to take advantage of but I guess there are lots of other offers available at the NEC this week. Why single one out specifically?

Well DBK - in answer - I think you are being particularly sinister in suggesting anything of the sort - Jim has given the answer as to why it was not included - believe it.

Jim and everyone else reading that post will know that at NO TIME has the particular dealer in question been mentioned by name and nor has anyone asked who he or she might be. How can it be advertising in any way shape or form?

Do you really read the forum at all? You will see hundreds of posts/comments either mentioning dealers by name / products by name etc. etc. - recommending them or criticising them do you want Jim to be Disingenuous with them too? to answer your other questions - read the post properly before commenting please.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I get them regularly but usually just delete them after a quick scan to see whether any of the posts are of interest which I've missed but as I come onto the forum most days there isn't usually anything in the Round up which I bother checking out.

Denise

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
If by chance your newsletter e-mails find their way into junk or spam, simply select the mail and mark it as "not junk/spam" and future issues should then appear in your Inbox.

Bryan

BTW..... Why would the OP even bother questioning the non appearance of his post in the newsletter....... Ego dented perhaps? Strange post, and NO I did not wonder why it was not included

B

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have a look at "Contact Details" in your account settings. Make sure "Receive site mailings" is ticked

If you don't see it, check your junk, but it could be that your name is not on the newsletter distribution list, no worries, you can add it here (y)

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
BTW..... Why would the OP even bother questioning the non appearance of his post in the newsletter....... Ego dented perhaps? Strange post, and NO I did not wonder why it was not included

Very good question bryandh - the answer is simple - I have taken it that the newsletter does in fact go out to absolutely everyone who has joined MotorhomeFun and gives them the instant check on which indeed has been the "Featured thread of the week" and those receiving the most views. I personally find that quite handy.

Ego dent? definitely not - you will see from my profile that I have not been posting messages here there and everywhere - and don't get me wrong I have no problem with those that do - without them the forum would be quite boring and very inactive I'm sure. I'm not looking for likes either - but feel free to "like" this answer if you wish :)

I've join in the Forum in an attempt to genuinely offer fellow funsters the opportunity of getting a great deal founded specifically on my placing a substantial order with a dealer and twisting his arm to offer other funsters similar deals - its up to them if they wish to take advantage or not.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well DBK - in answer - I think you are being particularly sinister in suggesting anything of the sort - Jim has given the answer as to why it was not included - believe it.

Jim and everyone else reading that post will know that at NO TIME has the particular dealer in question been mentioned by name and nor has anyone asked who he or she might be. How can it be advertising in any way shape or form?

Do you really read the forum at all? You will see hundreds of posts/comments either mentioning dealers by name / products by name etc. etc. - recommending them or criticising them do you want Jim to be Disingenuous with them too? to answer your other questions - read the post properly before commenting please.
Wow, touched a raw nerve there didn't I! I have no idea who the dealer is but you have put yourself up as their representative and in one post (#9) used the term "we can get you a good deal.." Who is we? But this thread has achieved what I suspect was the aim, to bring this back onto the forum the day before the NEC opens. Well done! Very clever! :):):) Of course a real cynic would wonder why you didn't mention the dealer? Was it because you had to be sure you were in the loop if you managed to attract another buyer? ;)

And please don't be rude at me like your post above. The thread you started went a bit pear-shaped which is why it ran to so many pages - but you can't blame me for that.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you don't see it, check your junk, but it could be that your name is not on the newsletter distribution list, no worries, you can add it here (y)
Just checked and I am subscribed but nothing in the Spam folder either. So it looks as if it has just vanished. That'll teach you to go on holiday!:)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are different types of 'view'. For example the thread in question has been viewed 400+ times by the OP and over 200 times by a few others, these repeat views do bump the view count and all of those views are added to the total.

However, when I search the forum prior to producing a newsletter the algorithm searches for views/unique views/likes/responses and then produces The most popular content of the last 5 days. This forms the basis of the newsletter. Of course I add or remove from that number any threads I so wish.

Further investigation in this instance shows this particular thread fell outside the date window. Everything is based upon the thread start date, (otherwise the word game threads would be top each week) and the Cathargo thread start date was just outside the window when I ran the script. on the morning of the 9th asking for the most popular content of the last 5 days, the Cathargo thread started on the 3rd was not considered for inclusion. It would have made the previous weeks though, but there wasn't a newsletter that week, I was drunk at a rugby weekend. sorry about that ;)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Wow!

The OP viewed his own thread 400+ times?........ Wonder why?
Needs to get out more often!

Bryan

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wow!

The OP viewed his own thread 400+ times?........ Wonder why?
Needs to get out more often!

Bryan

Its not hard to do, if you think about it, every time there is a post on your own thread you'll look, scroll to the bottom, then click back to the top and you have two views. Read, respond, load again to read your own post and there's another 3; they soon add up.

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Further investigation in this instance shows this particular thread fell outside the date window. Everything is based upon the thread start date, (otherwise the word game threads would be top each week) and the Cathargo thread start date was just outside the window when I ran the script. on the morning of the 9th asking for the most popular content of the last 5 days, the Cathargo thread started on the 3rd was not considered for inclusion. It would have made the previous weeks though, but there wasn't a newsletter that week, I was drunk at a rugby weekend. sorry about that ;)

Umm - yes it did start on the 3rd. just after 19.00hrs before I started watching the Rugby too - I noticed the Rome'n around Italy started on the 3rd, too - around 14.00hrs or so that's why when I looked back it seemed so strange that it actually fell outside the date window and not even a time window on the same day?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Umm - yes it did start on the 3rd. just after 19.00hrs before I started watching the Rugby too - I noticed the Rome'n around Italy started on the 3rd, too - around 14.00hrs or so that's why when I looked back it seemed so strange that it actually fell outside the date window and not even a time window on the same day?

you are definitely now taking this far too seriously :(

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Except I CHOSE for that to be in as a featured thread, I said so in the letter. I really don't understand your problem. o_O

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Except I CHOSE for that to be in as a featured thread, I said so in the letter. I really don't understand your problem. o_O

No problem Jim - I'm just answering comments or questions left on the Post - you've answer it adequately as far as I am concerned - maybe all should leave it at that eh! otherwise heaven forebid - it might meet the most views section this week the way its going and neither you or I have the time to keep replying do we?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No problem Jim - I'm just answering comments or questions left on the Post - you've answer it adequately as far as I am concerned - maybe all should leave it at that eh! otherwise heaven forebid - it might meet the most views section this week the way its going and neither you or I have the time to keep replying do we?
With keeping going on like this I'm afraid you are beginning to come over as a bit of a spammer with your mh offer, what exactly is in it for you?
Why the concern about views or anything else, is the price of your van relying on how many takers you get?
In the light of the other thread about angry posts and stuff, hope you don't take this the wrong way, just saying that's how it's beginning to look from here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back