Step has stopped retracting when engine turns. (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've found the fuse which I changed, it worked once now it had stopped again.
The fuse hasn't blown and the wiring is connected to a black round plastic thing which has 2 spade connectors going somewhere else.
A little beeper goes off but the step won't retract unless manually done with the rocker switch.
Anyone know what else I can try please?
It will come in and out with the rocker switch.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
There are a couple of possibilities which come to mind that may cause that..
There should be a relay that closes the step on ignition or engine run..
If you can locate that then you would be able to check the supply to the relay from the ignition or engine run supply..
The step will also have a switch built in (S2 in the photo )which will ground the relay operating coil.. If that switch is stuck open then the relay will not operate and can't close the step.
To help find the relay there should be a wire from the rocker switch running to it..
Try and post a picture of the wiring I'm on about and hope it helps..
Ta Andy
20151011_184411.jpg

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Andy. I'll look tomorrow. I didn't get this till 23.19.
Bedtime.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Leave it alone, the beeper is enough to remind you, I once nearly broke Bevs ankles, started engine while she was getting into MH still stood on the step

That was our old MH, new one has not got auto retract, it just beeps at me (sometimes) good enough for me, always check in mirror when pulling away just in case beeper hasn't beeped (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
hi david, I thought it was a requirement that the step auto retracted... obviously not if yours was like that from new...
ta andy

Maybe mines bust as well, but Bev is happier that way :D:D

Seriously though, if it is a requirement it really should have an interlock so if door open and probably therefore step might be in use, it shouldn't retract

No idea on the 'should retract on start up' bit though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Maybe mines bust as well, but Bev is happier that way :D:D

Seriously though, if it is a requirement it really should have an interlock so if door open and probably therefore step might be in use, it shouldn't retract

No idea on the 'should retract on start up' bit though
just remember when putting my step in doing some reading, and the minimum European requirement was that the step should close on ignition on , or engine run... the more expensive option was to fit electronics that worked off the door switches..
anyways as long as Bev is happy(y):D...and I see you are trying to off load a genny, shame on you...you may need both of them one day...:reel: :imoutahere:
good night ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back