Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
Northwich
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
1 year
Hi weve just bought our first motorhome and we are thinking about a generator as I need to plug hairdryer and straighteners in and use our microwave . Any advice pkease?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Honda EU20i.. great little machine.. and so quiet...:):LOL:
seriously , I like mine and wouldn't be without it... if im away for more than a few days and not doing a lot of driving its essential for me, as I only have a 100w panel and that's just not enough to keep me topped up..
ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
To expand on my previous comment I will say that we have 160ah of battery and 320 watts of solar, my wife can use the hair dryer in the morning (I don't bother) and then later we run the microwave to heat milk for coffee and also run the coffee machine, same again in the afternoon, as long as there is a reasonable amount of sun each day we will have no problems but a couple of grey days would see me curtailing the inverter use, of course a bigger capacity battery bank would be a good idea and see us through the grey days but these are not dead yet.

We also have an EFOY fuel cell but for the purpose of this example I have left it out of the equation, but it is a very quiet and relatively expensive (or should that be very expensive and relatively quiet) way to provide power when there is no sun.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don't buy one on impulse, I still have one the same as Andy's, bought on here after too many glasses of red a few months ago, I already have an older Honda that I don't use as well :)

But seriously, if you want an EU20i, still boxed and unused PM me with a half decent offer and it is yours :)

that applies to anybody else who might 'need' one, or think they do :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Honda EU20i.. great little machine.. and so quiet...:):LOL:
seriously , I like mine and wouldn't be without it... if im away for more than a few days and not doing a lot of driving its essential for me, as I only have a 100w panel and that's just not enough to keep me topped up..
ta andy

But we have a bigger roof than you @andy63 (y)

Martin

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Second the Honda it's the quietest, the times I have used it on Aires I have put it on blind side of the van. I usually approach others to see if they mind. Invariably they are unaware of it if I am up wind from them or there is traffic noise. Be considerate, don't even think of getting it out on a club site. Ours is a 1kw, ample for charging 300ah of batteries.

Ours runs on LPG or petrol. Worth paying the extra, l connect to my external BBQ point and no smelly fuel.

Padlock it if leaving it outside there is a ready market in them.

Dick

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi weve just bought our first motorhome and we are thinking about a generator as I need to plug hairdryer and straighteners in and use our microwave . Any advice pkease?
We own a Hyundai 1KVa unit, can't remember the model number. It is reasonably quiet, and powers most things that are needed.

Perhaps the question is, why do you think you need one. You can't use them in most places, the noise will annoy another people. What kind of camping are you going to be doing? That would help everyone give you a better answer.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry your second post here @moonbeam has generated such a strong response. You have probably gathered this is a highly controversial subject!

I can only suggest looking first at the solar and inverter options. Green is good.

And ditch the microwave! :)

Last edited:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have a Honda EU20 that is 4 years old. It has only been used for about 2 hours in total due to not wanting to annoy everyone else and only using for Mrs M's hair equipment. Pain in the backside so now have an inverter.
Spend your money on solar, extra batteries and an inverter. All self sufficient, silent, works in the rain, socially acceptable, no smells and no storage, lifting or theiving.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Been down that road ( been there seen that, done that and have the tea shirt ) and after 3 years and only useing twice I sold our brand new Honda 10i.
Firstly do not buy on impulse! use you MH for at least 1 year without adding extras. Secondly get if you do not have already? some solar on your roof and use a good MPPT controller.
If you read my old posts on what I have bought and used and got ride off since getting our MH you will see that now 95% of the time we are "off grid" and let the sun do the work.
Thanks to @Broken Link Removed little "gizmo" we have 240volts as and when we need it.
Wait into you see how other members on here ( attend the rallies ) have their MH set up and start from there.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
some pictures... I enjoy these genny threads lol.
can still get the door open enough for a shower, and its sort of secure..(the padlock and chain stops an honest thief :LOL:) I use a cover over it when on the road.. not trying to wind anyone up ... honest :)
ta andy
20130519_110501.jpg
20130519_110530.jpg
20130519_110550.jpg
20130519_110635.jpg

Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
In my experience one need a 2kv generator to start a microwave oven. On my van a 1kv generator doesn't do it, so I bought a Hyundai 2kv suitcase generator from St Johns (see somewhere to the right side on the page / members list). Its been marvellous and with the Funster discount too saves 10%. But Honda is considered by most to be best but at what cost ?? Cheers Rob

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp

It really depends on your circumstances. For example I am off to Germany next week and I know the nearest habitation for five of those days I will be away is a house, that is approximately 100m from me, therefore I have just purchased a Honda EU20i. This situation occurs several times a year, so a "silent" generator is no problem to anyone. If I were on an Aire/Campsite then it is a no go.

Brian

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you do buy a generator ensure you have a decent charger as well. Most standard vans have a puny charger. If you have upgraded the battery bank then a bigger beefier charges means you don't have to run the generator as long. I have installed a 50Amp charger in my van which will put 100Amps in over 2 hours. Much better than the 30Amps my first charger would have put in for the same running time. The bigger your battery bank the bigger the charger should be.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: I am just starting to plan my new self build. I am considering installing one of these.
Broken Link Removed

LPG and remote start. I will have an underslung LPG tank and will build a custom cabinet for the genny with an exhaust port underneath. The remote start will be handy and the custom cabinet will hopefully be well enough sound proofed to not create noise problems for anyone.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would buy a stove top espresso maker and milk frother then you won't need to use the microwave and won't need a generator. We ditched our automatic bean to cup coffee machine at home after trying these in the van. They make much better coffee.
You will also save a lot of weight and space.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would buy a stove top espresso maker and milk frother then you won't need to use the microwave and won't need a generator. We ditched our automatic bean to cup coffee machine at home after trying these in the van. They make much better coffee.

Yes, but the OP wants use hair dryer and straighteners, and a microwave but said nothing about coffee, its me thats the frothy coffee man and I am happy with my inverter(y)

Martin

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Go Solar with an inverter ,

Don't believe what people tell you about Honda Generators they are still noisy and we got Gassed out by the fumes from one at the lincoln show ,

The Honda filled our awning with fumes making it impossible to sit in there both at breakfast time and tea time ..

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
do you have a link or where we can get one
thanks bill

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
do you have a link or where we can get one
thanks bill
I bought ours from Amazon. Search for these....
Bialetti Tuttocrema Frother
Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker
( we got the 9 cup for the house and 6 cup for the van)

Mrs A uses a hairdryer and straighteners too, we plug them into a 2000W inverter running off 3 x 110 ah batteries with 110 W of solar panels. At first, we just had one leisure battery and a 30W panel, I worried about draining the battery with the drier and straighteners, so I ran the engine when she used them.
No worries now, even in the dead of winter. No real need for a genny, although we always carry one just in case. We only used it to power the van for a couple of hours a day when were parked up without EHU for a month. There was no one about to complain. Even though its a Honda engine, its still noisy when nothing else is going on around!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Yes, but the OP wants use hair dryer and straighteners, and a microwave but said nothing about coffee, its me thats the frothy coffee man and I am happy with my inverter(y)

Martin
Ah, sorry, got my posts mixed up, he deffo doesnt need a genny then.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back