LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
First time ever been to the New Forest, can't believe have missed out on it all these years
!!!!! We took pot luck with the site. Lots of the £12 forest ones were closed, but we had a recce of the Alridge one while we were cycling this avo and that looked fantastic; huge and very very pretty.

We stayed at Longmeadows, mainly cos the write up said you'd see deer and were close to the cycling tracks in the forest itself. Weren't disappointed either. Stags rutting during the evenings/nights, even went to the loo last night and stopped in our tracks as we counted loads of deer and the odd stag in front of the loos :party3: Lovely views and cycling began approx 7 seconds from our van !! However, for 10 mins took shelter in a C&C site, Black Knowle ?, when the horses stampeded, what a difference; packed in, no-one out, all zipped up in awnings or watching telly, no views as such and really clinical. So pleased we're not members and chose that, or would have spoiled experience.

Isn't it amazing how your first stay/impressions can be so important to returning to a spot ? We wld defo use Longmeadows or Aldridge next time. Topped off with a stunning carvery in the Rose and Crown, Brockenhurst. Has made us fall in love with the uk once more :h:::bigsmile:

........... before any comments arrive, I know probably some peeps on here like C&C club, we're all different :) x

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I worked at Aldridge hill, lovely, especially with the stream running through.
Have you tried setthorns?
Larger and hillier, but so interesting and actually in the forest :)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I worked at Aldridge hill, lovely, especially with the stream running through.
Have you tried setthorns?
Larger and hillier, but so interesting and actually in the forest :)
Oooh no we haven't. Most were closed, including Aldridge. Will look Setthorns up for next time. Thanx :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
At setthorns theirs an old railway line (no rails) good for bike rides you realy feel in the heart of the forest ,we normally go there day after boxing day for 5 nights or so (y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Have another mention of Setthorns. We will be there early December for our annual visit. A good site in the winter, it's about the only one open.
We visit the Winchester Christmas market while there, it's a good one, there is also one at Salisbury if you're into that sort of thing.
By the way Black Knowle is CC, stayed there once never again, Setthorns is Forestry Commission managed by the C&CC.
Setthorns has no toilets/showers, not that I ever use site ones anyway, but might bother some.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Waterside DA use the showground (you passed it on way in) as a tempory holiday site its fantastic and cheap

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Have another mention of Setthorns. We will be there early December for our annual visit. A good site in the winter, it's about the only one open.
We visit the Winchester Christmas market while there, it's a good one, there is also one at Salisbury if you're into that sort of thing.
By the way Black Knowle is CC, stayed there once never again, Setthorns is Forestry Commission managed by the C&CC.
Setthorns has no toilets/showers, not that I ever use site ones anyway, but might bother some.
Will keep that in mind perhaps for the new year period, short break. Keep forgetting there's a CC and a C&CC. :)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We love the New Forest too but sadly haven't been there lately due to the Alabama Rot disease which can be fatal in dogs.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We love the New Forest too but sadly haven't been there lately due to the Alabama Rot disease which can be fatal in dogs.
Yes I read warnings on most of the campsite webpages, very sad. Lots and lots of people still having dogs tramping around, I wondered if they knew about it ? :(

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Alabama rot cases are not restricted to the New Forest unfortunately, incidents being reported over the country, with another concentration in Cheshire.
There does seem to be a concentration in the area around Wilverley where all the confirmed New Forest cases (9) have been. Its an extremely rare condition considering the number of dogs in the New Forest area, however we will stick to the area around Sway where there have been no reported cases.

Adamantc

Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
We have been using Aldridge Hill for over 30 years man and boy. Staying in everythingg from a tent to a motorcaravan. I am pleased to say it hasn't changed in all that time, except the inevitable price increases since the camping club took it over. It's within easy walking distance to Brockenhurst, has nice circular walks, minimal facilities and as an earlier correspondent wrote has the lovely river for the kids to play in. It's just such a shame it, like most of the sites close before October half term.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Setthorns again here. When I picked up the Folding Camper on 04 Jan 10 years ago, we went straight out to Setthorns. Freezing cold, no heating and with 2 young daughters. We will hopefully collect our Motorhome within the first 2 weeks of Dec this year:clap: and will head straight out to Setthorns again. We are thinking of going between Christmas and NY as well. Love the nothing there idea and great walks for the dogs etc. We use Setthorns in the Winter as it is open all year and generally stick to Roundhill for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
From Setthorns you can cycle or walk (10-15 minutes tops) to Sway. Nice bistro type pub though the meals are priced, I think. There's a local butcher, P.O with shop and a general store. If you cycle or walk to the far end of the village. On the Brockenhurt Road The Horse and Hounds pub does really good meals and log fires.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back