medications (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I realise that quite a few of us have tablets to take. My question is . When away , in France for 4weeks next spring .my chemist will only supply 2 months. He has 6 months of my prescription s under the counter. From my docs. Can you get prescription s made up there . Or how do you get them. Thank you in anticipation.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Over a period of time I have ordered early that way I have 2 months worth when the next two months arrives. Could not do that now as all done online

Some pharmacists seem to be getting a bit big for their boots! They make an absolute fortune out of the NHS:(

If your on a generic tablet you may be able to get it over the counter for a pittance in Europe

Last edited:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We get our medication prescription every 2 months but if we are away longer we tell our doctor and we get an extra month no problem.I am led to believe .the maximum is 3 months but i would stand to be corrected on this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GRUMPY OLD GIT

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Started in1974 with a converted London ambulance
Have a chat with your doctor, my wife always manages to get 3 months advanced
supplies of her medications and as we are usually away for 6 months my daughter
picks up the repeat prescription from Boots chemist and posts them on to us
wherever we may be.
If the problem is with the pharmacist change pharmacy as they as they are all
fighting for the very lucrative NHS business.
(plus l'm a tightfisted git and prescription medicines are free in Wales)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I realise that quite a few of us have tablets to take. My question is . When away , in France for 4weeks next spring .my chemist will only supply 2 months. He has 6 months of my prescription s under the counter. From my docs. Can you get prescription s made up there . Or how do you get them. Thank you in anticipation.

Is there someone who can collect them for you and post them to wherever you might be? We did this recently having the tablets sent Post Restante to a post office in France.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Is there someone who can collect them for you and post them to wherever you might be? We did this recently having the tablets sent Post Restante to a post office in France.

sounds like a plan....

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We were told by our group practice receptionist that we could only order a maximum of two months ahead.

An explanation, during a telephone call with a GP, led to that being overturned. We have to ask each time but have not had a problem since.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We were told by our group practice receptionist that we could only order a maximum of two months ahead.

An explanation, during a telephone call with a GP, led to that being overturned. We have to ask each time but have not had a problem since.

nothing new there..jobs worth receptionist:)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We get our medication prescription every 2 months but if we are away longer we tell our doctor and we get an extra month no problem.I am led to believe .the maximum is 3 months but i would stand to be corrected on this.
Not quite correct I. Have spoken to our GP and he said he could see no problem up to six months.I ave yet to test this out will try in Dec before our winter down in Spain.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Pharmacies are my pet hate. I've used several and the one I use now is the only one which actually seems grateful for my business. Others tended to view you as an inconvenience. :)

Deleted User
We have same problem with Niges medication, we have had to gradually build up extra by ordering slightly earlier each time. Worst case you are able to request an extra private prescription which you would have to pay for if you don't have time to accumulate. Nige also forgot/lost some medication when we were travelling in UK and was able to get another prescription from the doctor. :)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Quite a complex problem this.It's down to your surgeries interpretation of the guidelines.
Wales is stricter than England and seem to 'police' it more stringently.
Our surgery in Wales clamped down on the 'early ordering' gambit about two yrs ago,so building a stockpile died out.
When we moved into England I asked the policy here and was told that on request to Dr up to 3 mths would be no problem.
Some generic drugs can be bought over counter in Mainland Europe and most prescription drugs can be sourced online.

The argument Drs use about 3 mths is that after 3mths you should be checked for any side effects-one Dr in wales said that technically if I was out of country for more than 3 mths I should de-register before going and re-register on return.

Edit-oops,I forgot the private prescription route. (y)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Enter 'sending prescription drugs by mail' into Google-you may rethink things :)

Perfectly legal if for medical purposes and if sanctioned by doctor or registered nurse:) However, posting a lottery ticket is rather a can of worms.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We have the same situation over here.
I just tell the chemist that I will be away for several months and they give me enough medication to cover it

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Perfectly legal if for medical purposes and if sanctioned by doctor or registered nurse:) However, posting a lottery ticket is rather a can of worms.
Hmm I read the same pdf as you,and find it frankly ambiguous (being devil's advocate here) How would you prove it had been sanctioned as per that document.

OP
OP
Marvic
Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
My wife and l go to a inhouse pharamacy at our doctors . He takes our blood pressure. Looks at the blood result s .from the hospital. Gives us both 6months prescription to take to the chemist next door. This a6month review. ? Generic= standerd. ?NIGES MEDICATION ??. post sounds agood idea (n)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I get 6 months of my tablets per prescription, maybe it depends on the tablets? I do have to get my BP checked every 6 months before getting my prescription though.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Hmm I read the same pdf as you,and find it frankly ambiguous (being devil's advocate here) How would you prove it had been sanctioned as per that document.

Maybe it should be considered from another aspect. All prescription medications authorised by a doctor are for the recipients medical use, regardless of where the person happens to be. We are also reading the Post Office document....you know the one written by the 'rules are rules' brigade. I wonder what legislation is actually in place? Probably best to err on the side of human rights?

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
When we go abroad. We explain to the doctor. She in turn can issue a four month prescription (they have the discretion to do that) then issue A two month prescription. Which we put into the pharmacy before we go. Thus, first issued prescription (4mnth) is applied for 1 month before departure. 2nd prescription is then in pharmacy 1 week before setting off, giving you 5 months overall to take with you.
Only downside. They can say that after 3 months you are no longer on their list as you are not in the country. But if you are on good terms with your doctor (as we are) no problem. Some GPs will only issue 3month prescription. But by the same token, you could still end up with 5 months to take with you if you applied the same process. This has worked for us for the last 2yrs. (y)(y)(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My wife and l go to a inhouse pharamacy at our doctors . He takes our blood pressure. Looks at the blood result s .from the hospital. Gives us both 6months prescription to take to the chemist next door. This a6month review. ? Generic= standerd. ?NIGES MEDICATION ??. post sounds agood idea (n)

Generic = manufacturer has lost the patent after X years.
Any company can then manafacture it. can be bought over the counter abroad, may need a local perscription. easy to find out if its available with a little homework.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/brand_generic.htm

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
As the mother of a pharmacist don't knock them .there are regulations and they must adhere to them . The trouble with the UK is pharmacists are not seen as professionals ! I don't know how often my son has been told ' none of your bloody business ' when asking a customer he doesn't know them if they are taking any other medication or supplements when giving them medication . The French have much more respect for a pharmacist and are first contact for minor symptoms . The trouble with the UK and the NHS is that folks see the doctor as first contact thus getting free medication . Do you know that less than 5% of the population pay for their medication ?

My son sent a mother who came in looking for Calpol for a child back to the doctor who had sent her !! The child had menengitis !! 5 years uni and pre reg training so do not knock !! They have much more knowledge of medications than the doctor and often have doctors ringing to ask for advice before prescribing .

Rant over !!!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I see you've now edited your post and added a link @Judgemental .
Firms like Lloyds are generally not owned or run by pharmacists - they employ pharmacists to manage their pharmacies - so the PHARMACIST isn't involved in buying or invoicing.
Are you suggesting that because a few companies (drugs suppliers and large-scale outlets) are trading illegally that ALL pharmacists are willing and able to do so?
The blame here is not with pharmacists, it's with the purchasers AND with the NHS auditors.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back