DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
4WD motorhomes are not common and in the PVC class the Merc Sprinter has been more or less the only base vehicle available but the new Ford Transit has a 4WD version and Murvi have used one to make an AWD drive version of their smallest MH, the Pimento. The Fiat version of this vehicle is 5.5m long so I guess this one will be about the same. No idea on price but the AWD Transit is around £30k to which of course the conversion has to be added so my guess would be probably £50K+. The vehicle normally drives through the rear wheels only but a traction control system applies torque to the front wheels when required.

Murvi Pimento.jpg

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi in fact 4x4 m,homes are quite common in europe fiats etc have a conversion dangles or something like it . its amazing how many are out there.
also alot of jap 4x4 m,homes been creeping in over the last 5-6 years . but that murvi looks good . i can see dbk going off roading for sure soon . i,m sure you will get a good trade in on yours .
go on you know you want to. ha ha .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Had 4x4 demountable campers for years, real handy up in Sweden! So where you heading... Sahara...Gobi:)

Reactions: DBK

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In 30 odd years in business I've had probably over 200 Transit vans on a revolving basis. None have been so bloody ugly as the new shape transit van. Who on earth designed that front grill !
The Yanks, so they can get an inline V6 petrol shoehorned in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Considering what we do, and where we've been, we always thought of 4x4 or AWD.

But, in reality, its not needed. We've been up mountains in snow and ice, through the desert with FWD. Getting the right tyres is more important IMO.

If you read many overlander stories, most will admit the 4x4 isn't essential - and if you look at some exploits in overland campers, some say they went with XXX or YYY with FWD and they made it too! In these cases, ground clearance and approach/descent angles are more critical.

So now, apart from the toy factor, I'd save my money

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ford missed the boat with this not only is the large version pig ugly but inside it's still only 5 ft 9 ins wide although it is 2 ins wider at the top than the old version --quite like the low and medium roof versions
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i take mine into all sorts of silly places . but have thought about the fuso 4x4 truck as the tow unit .
but then i would be more likely to go dafter places and seriously damage the trailer.
mind we can consider all these things .
i did have a syncro vw for awhile it would go almost anywhere . but even they have faults in the design . is there really the ultimate vehicle?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ford missed the boat with this not only is the large version pig ugly but inside it's still only 5 ft 9 ins wide although it is 2 ins wider at the top than the old version --quite like the low and medium roof versions
terry

Agred with the width issue. Don't find it that ugly for a van. Hated the x250 looks but ended up with one anyway, you get used to whatever:)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I agree with the points about the need for 4x4 in a traditional MH. Might be useful in a wet field but serious off roading needs ground clearance and though the Ford has some sort of traction control I doubt it is a substitute for a full set of diff locks and can it be fitted with proper off road tyres? However, I don't think it is aimed at those driving overland to difficult to spell places.

But I can see there will be a demand for it and the next time we find the wheels spinning we might wish for one!

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
La Strada also have a 4WD Sprinter based PVC in their range...at a premium cost.

I'm unsure who it is aimed at...

If you really need a 4WD camper probably best to get a Toyota Land Cruiser [or similar] and put a roof tent on top to sleep in...then you can genuinely go off road and explore the less beaten track.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I agree with the points about the need for 4x4 in a traditional MH. Might be useful in a wet field but serious off roading needs ground clearance and though the Ford has some sort of traction control I doubt it is a substitute for a full set of diff locks and can it be fitted with proper off road tyres? However, I don't think it is aimed at those driving overland to difficult to spell places.

But I can see there will be a demand for it and the next time we find the wheels spinning we might wish for one!

Fiat traction control + pteety good..not been stuck yet

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
iveco daily does 4x4 . there are loads of m,homes based on them .
but 4x4 makes it easy.
having used roof tents they do make some parking places a bit obvious .
its amazing where you can get with out 4x4.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
iveco daily does 4x4 . there are loads of m,homes based on them .
but 4x4 makes it easy.
having used roof tents they do make some parking places a bit obvious .
its amazing where you can get with out 4x4.

In portugal years ago a couple were bonking in a roof tent..everyone gathered outside to watch the car rocking.......Hilarious

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
heres mine on my old vw.
we didnt bonk . my son was in the teardrop caravan behind . mind he nearly made us sea sick when he had a moroccan girlfriend in the teardrop. had to unhitch it at night . ha ha .
later had the tent on a mazda bongo but luckily my new partners kids just slept .
the bongo was 4x4 it was a great small adventure vehicle .

Attachments

• img026.jpg
    img026.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Bongo tripsept 09 003.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 003.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
heres mine on my old vw.
we didnt bonk . my son was in the teardrop caravan behind . mind he nearly made us sea sick when he had a moroccan girlfriend in the teardrop. had to unhitch it at night . ha ha .
later had the tent on a mazda bongo but luckily my new partners kids just slept .
the bongo was 4x4 it was a great small adventure vehicle .
A Mazda Bonko then!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
In 30 odd years in business I've had probably over 200 Transit vans on a revolving basis. None have been so bloody ugly as the new shape transit van. Who on earth designed that front grill !
Styling pinched from VW crafter a bit? One I always think is ugly.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Considering what we do, and where we've been, we always thought of 4x4 or AWD.

But, in reality, its not needed. We've been up mountains in snow and ice, through the desert with FWD. Getting the right tyres is more important IMO.

If you read many overlander stories, most will admit the 4x4 isn't essential - and if you look at some exploits in overland campers, some say they went with XXX or YYY with FWD and they made it too! In these cases, ground clearance and approach/descent angles are more critical.

So now, apart from the toy factor, I'd save my money

We could not agree more. We drove our Type 2 VW across the Sahara Desert from Morocco to Niger and on to Nairobi. Understanding the terrain and forward planning are much more important than 4x4. If you do it all wrong then all a 4x4 does for you is it get you stuck quicker on all 4 wheels instead of just 2. The MOST important thing is to listen to the locals and do what they do.

The Tinca's

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I cant quite understand how a 4X4 will get you stuck quicker ?

I have had many 4X4s and in winter they are incredible. Driven correctly and I emphasise correctly they will simply go where a 2WD vehicle has no chance of going.

I have used them to tow very heavy trailers over sometimes slippery and rough terrain. I used one when I was into Powerboating and Jet Skiing and never had an issue getting up steep slipways . In fact I have pulled up many craft where the owners vehicles failed.

There is no doubt a clown can get stuck anywhere if they are daft enough but a 4WD can and will go where other vehicles would have no chance.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I cant quite understand how a 4X4 will get you stuck quicker ?

I have had many 4X4s and in winter they are incredible. Driven correctly and I emphasise correctly they will simply go where a 2WD vehicle has no chance of going.

I have used them to tow very heavy trailers over sometimes slippery and rough terrain. I used one when I was into Powerboating and Jet Skiing and never had an issue getting up steep slipways . In fact I have pulled up many craft where the owners vehicles failed.

There is no doubt a clown can get stuck anywhere if they are daft enough but a 4WD can and will go where other vehicles would have no chance.

Click into four wheel drive and it just feels so different...so safe

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The modern Japanese stuff does not even need "clicking" into 4WD. Our Toyota senses when it needs 4WD.
When taking off from standstill it always selects 4WD. as the speed increases it reverts to 2WD.
If the driver accelerates hard it stays in 4WD longer. But if driven sedately it goes into 2WD sooner.
There is a Diff Lock button but its a bit like the paddle shifters on the steering wheel in so much as I never use them.
I addition to the above the electronics send power to whichever wheel needs the drive the most.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry, my comments regarding 4 x 4 getting you stuck quicker were not very clear. I was only talking about desert driving and on soft sand if you find yourself in this situation then you are going to get stuck no matter what.

The Tinca's

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Sorry, my comments regarding 4 x 4 getting you stuck quicker were not very clear. I was only talking about desert driving and on soft sand if you find yourself in this situation then you are going to get stuck no matter what.

The Tinca's
if you travel with a local they really can read the sand .
we found we spent quite a bit of time poking with a stick. just to be sure . but stop if you see a local wanting a lift . they direct you this way that way and amazingly your through .
mind its good fun crossing the sahara .
also how many others are out there trucks ,m,bikes , people walking miles , bet you enjoyed it .
its like we say 4x4 or bigger vehicles just means you want 6x6 or bigger vehicle to pull you out .
vw t2 was my choice and would be again ,simple to fix and do the job. plus more ground clearance than most other vehicles except a 2cv

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need one of these for the desert.

IMGP0488.JPG

But one of these is probably a good substitute.

IMGP0473.JPG

But this was more fun - and yes that is me with the red scarf!

DSC00052.JPG

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
If you get 2wd stuck it doesn't usually take much to get it out but if you get a good 4x4 stuck it takes a lot of shifting in my experience.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you get 2wd stuck it doesn't usually take much to get it out but if you get a good 4x4 stuck it takes a lot of shifting in my experience.

Wouldn't disagree with that !

I think the problem with a lot of 4WD drivers is the drivers. 4WD is great for the additional traction but the grip under braking especially in wet slushy muddy or snowy conditions is hardly any greater. There is slightly more control but not when terminal understeer or oversteer has taken place..

Back on 4WD Motor Homes . I in my short time in motor homing have seen two people stuck so far..

One in France . It was a big A class and it was on a sandy but hard surface. Quite why it would not shift I don't know. Quite a few ended up pushing and shoving and putting carpets and all manner of stuff under the wheels before it eventually got going.

The other was in the UK up at Ravenglass where some iriot tried a race start when he lost traction. If he had simply backed off the throttle he would have crawled out dead easy. The bloody clown turned the pitch into a mud bath...

When we arrived in France this year we went to a site and booked in. We were there for only one night so never even looked at the pitch. Big mistake. It was awkward to get on and really wet and muddy. I just got on and didn't even try to find the most level spot as this would have made a slippy mess. I was apprehensive about getting off the following morning but it was fine. Tricky but fine.

So is there a need or place for 4WD on motor homes ? To be honest I think not. The weight added would be quite a lot. Plus the Transit 4WD is much higher on the platform than the normal van so surely a MH with 4WD would be higher ? Plus unless they start fitting the rather trick electronics to make the 4WD only when needed MPG will suffer and most of you with bigger vans likely don't want that reduced.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
all this chat about off roading in a motorhome is very interesting but really...
is it likely? I would hate to think what state the average interior would be in after a serious off road trip. Some of the "furniture" would be matchwood, and the contents? the biggest jumble sale ever.
Most 4x4 murvi's will be used to move out of wet grassy fields in mid summer, or muddy steam fair events.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
An Australian friend once told be that if you want to explore the Outback then you need a Land Rover or a Toyota. He went on to say that if you want to explore the Outback and come home you need a Toyota....................:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back