LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Done some searching and can't find the right answers. We are going away for four months and having trouble getting breakdown cover for four months (just in case) we have rac arrivals in this country but they will only cover us for three months in Europe what difference it makes I don't know.other quotes have been from caravan and camping club who will only cover up to 8,2 metres we are 9 mtrs. What is going on why only three months and why only 8.2 metres or under 3.5 ton or under 7.5 metres. Why can you not go away for any length of time. If they will cover you for 3 months whats the difference. I know there are insurance company's out there that do insurance and euro cover breakdown all in for 365 days, wish we had gone that route now. Even the lady on the other end of the phone when the wife was trying to sort it out said it was mad. Any advice welcomed please.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Go with Adac. No time limits, no age limits, covers all Europe, incl. all countries bordering the Med. Any vehicle you're travelling in is covered. No silly restrictions. €89 a year.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Probably no good for you if your comp van policy is not also due for renewal, but we have fully comp with Camping and Caravanning Club which includes full European breakdown cover, and all for around £300. Admittedly our van is only 6.7m though. Gary

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I've opened a Nationwide FlexPlus account at a tenner a month. Cover for my car, wife's car and MH. Throughout Europe. Euro cover is for any journey starting and ending in the UK of upto 180 days. Previously we were paying a total of 170 odd quid for the three vehicles so opening the account was a no-brainer.

Edit: cover is for MH not exceeding 8m or 7.5. Tonnes.

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
I've opened a Nationwide FlexPlus account at a tenner a month. Cover for my car, wife's car and MH. Throughout Europe. Euro cover is for any journey starting and ending in the UK of upto 180 days. Previously we were paying a total of 170 odd quid for the three vehicles so opening the account was a no-brainer.

Just done the same.

My CC&C Arrival (RAC) breakdown renewal this month was c. £151 for MoHo and car so didn't renew with them

Currently NW's FlexPlus account pays 3% interest variable on balances up to £2500 so your money can earn up to £60 or so interest a year if you can "invest" some cash.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I think you will find Nationwides cover is for 180 days in a year but only up to 90 days at a time, I would like to stand corrected on this as we would also like longer cover. We changed to flex plus as well this year as found out RAC arrivals who we have been with for years, wouldn't cover us for Europe on our new to us vehicle over 11 years old.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
A trip is defined by Nationwide as...

a pre booked continuous journey to the countries as specified within the geographical limits of Section D (UK & European Assist) which begins and ends in the UK and which does not exceed 180 days in total during a 12 month period

I can not find any reference to a 90 day restriction.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Looked at ADAC but it looks like it's a bit of a pain to set up as all docs are in German and yo cannot join online unless you have a German address.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Ditto ADAC plus as per @stcry
You are the unit of membership not the vehicle (y)

And no problen joining with a UK address at all ,phone them they speak good english and if you have a toggle sim only 3p per min to landline or buy/ use skype credit cost me 7p to ring them .

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

I've recommended FlexPlus several times (but never needed to use it, so far :whistle:) BUT I think you will find it covers ONE vehicle per member ie you + wife = 2 cars or 1 car + 1 MH. (How they would know is always beyond me.)

Gordon

PS I guess they might say "we're covering the 2 vehicles which are still at home" :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Currently NW's FlexPlus account pays 3% interest variable on balances up to £2500 so your money can earn up to £60 or so interest a year if you can "invest" some cash.

The FP pays interest on a max of £2,500 @ 3% = £75 pa, the account costs £120 pa (ie £10 pcm) so in effect you don't get interest on your money and pay £45 on top.

The NW FlexDirect account on the other hand pays 5% interest pa on a max of £2,500 @ 5% = £125 pa.

Add the £125 pa interest for the FD account to the £45 you have to pay for the FP account and in real terms you are 'loosing' up to £170 pa.

I'm not knocking the FP account but if you don't intend to take advantage of the 'benefits' that come with it costing £170 then it might be more sensible to get the FD account instead and get your 'insurance' etc elsewhere which is what we do - our camper insurance with Safeguard includes 365 days' European breakdown cover (worked out cheaper than getting it separately), and our annual travel insurance costs us £44 for up to 45 days away, if we'd wanted a longer period away it wouldn't have cost much more.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Looked at ADAC but it looks like it's a bit of a pain to set up as all docs are in German and yo cannot join online unless you have a German address.

No don't need a german address to join online.
Just ask for an English speaker

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I think you will find Nationwides cover is for 180 days in a year but only up to 90 days at a time, I would like to stand corrected on this as we would also like longer cover. We changed to flex plus as well this year as found out RAC arrivals who we have been with for years, wouldn't cover us for Europe on our new to us vehicle over 11 years old.

Just had a look at RAC Arrivals T&C's page 15 European travel Broken Link Removed

Annual European Cover

a. European Cover supplements relating to

vehicle age, Towed non-motorised vehicles and

motorhomes will not be charged.

b. Motorhomes over 11 years old are covered under

Arrival terms.

You got me a bit worried there

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for all replys will keep searching.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
ADAC for us Mikey,

no probs at all, Anna sorts it over the phone as said ask for an English speaker (y)

Andy

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Just had a look at RAC Arrivals T&C's page 15 European travel Broken Link Removed

Annual European Cover

a. European Cover supplements relating to

vehicle age, Towed non-motorised vehicles and

motorhomes will not be charged.

b. Motorhomes over 11 years old are covered under

Arrival terms.

You got me a bit worried there

Sorry about that, I must have read the cover RAC only and not through Arrivals Scheme. It was costing us £235.00 per year, so I am happy with the cover we have through Nationwide, it's far cheaper.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
When I enquired about the Nationwide Flexplus account the breakdown cover was restricted to a maximum weight of 3.5 ton. Has that changed now?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When I enquired about the Nationwide Flexplus account the breakdown cover was restricted to a maximum weight of 3.5 ton. Has that changed now?
Depends onthe specific question you asked! In Section 2 - Definitions, it says:

... any vehicle registered in the UK, being driven by or carrying the Nationwide FlexPlus account holder(s) or a vehicle registered in the UK and owned and registered to the account holder(s), which is being used with the permission of the account holder(s) and does not exceed any of the following dimensions when fully loaded:
- Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame).
- Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight.
- All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width, 3 metres in height or 3.5 tonnes in weight.

All vehicles must also meet the criteria specified in Section B
So if it is a motorhome it's covered up to 7.5 tonnes, but any other vehicle is retricted to 3.5 tonnes.

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back