Some info and an electrical question (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Before removing the battery from the MH so that I could replace it with a new one, I spoke to Phantom Tracker and told them of my plans and to expect a "power down" alert and to ignore it.
Replaced the battery today, three days later, and had an alert from Phantom. Called them and explained what was going on and the lady duly checked the computer and agreed all was ok and working.

Now for the info bit.

The lady explained that by removing the battery for three days I probably wasn't covered by my insurance as I had disabled all of the security devices. She even implied that it is not unknown for thieves to bring their own batteries to jump start these things and drive off with them. She said that I should keep a spare battery for emergencies. Yeah, right, I'm gonna do that when I already have another two in the leisure department. Light bulb moment ensued.

The question now.

Is it possible, and has anyone done it, to make a simple device that can be connected to the vehicle and leisure batteries to power one or the other in the event of a sudden battery failure like I suffered ? Something like jump leads with a switch on them, but permanently fitted.
I know the duff battery would drag the good one down, but if it got you out of a problem situation it would be worth it. Plus I would have left the old battery on until I was ready to fit the new one as the leisure batteries were still charging.

Fire away with nice simple answers please.
Even the pi** taking ones.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Yes it is but you need to know what you are doing as the currents are potentially very high. In essence you use a heavy duty cable with very big fuses and a Broken Link Removed to create a temporary connection.

However, as you rightly noted, if one battery is very low it might damage the others.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi last year on the way down to Spain in December we stopped at an Aire over night when we got up to move on in the morning vehicle battery was flat after a few minutes of panick suddenly had a moment of inspiration.
Got the jump leads out ran them from one of the leisure,s and connected to jump points under bonnet,hey presto got us out of a jam.
Now got a power pack that I use for trailer winch.:cooler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Hi last year on the way down to Spain in December we stopped at an Aire over night when we got up to move on in the morning vehicle battery was flat after a few minutes of panick suddenly had a moment of inspiration.
Got the jump leads out ran them from one of the leisure,s and connected to jump points under bonnet,hey presto got us out of a jam.
Now got a power pack that I use for trailer winch.:cooler:

That's the kind of thing I was meaning, but permanently fitted.

I have a jump start pack, but it was in my garage at home. :blush:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Yes it is but you need to know what you are doing as the currents are potentially very high. In essence you use a heavy duty cable with very big fuses and a Broken Link Removed to create a temporary connection.

However, as you rightly noted, if one battery is very low it might damage the others.

There is plenty of room in the under floor battery compartment to fit an isolator switch, and this will keep out it of the way of mischief makers.

Hopefully the current would go both ways so that it could be used in the other direction as an emergency leisure battery.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
When I put in my new split charge system and leisure batteries, I used 110 amp rated cable, protected each end by a 100 amp fuse to allow for the high current possible. I've also got an isolator switch connected between the starter and leisure batteries in case the starter battery somehow goes flat, as described above.

That system, as you asked, would also let you use the starter battery for habitation but, unless you want a flat starter battery, isn't to be recommended. So you should only treat it as an emergency switch for a flat starter battery and remember to isolate it once the engine is going.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if all you want to do is keep the security 'alive' while the battery is removed then a simple lead (fused) between hab battery and dash cig lighter socket (if its live with ignition off) will provide enough power.
if the socket is ignition switched you need to find a way to connect to the cab battery leads.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you use a Ripca BS100 VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay) and connect it correctly it will be your split charging system under normal circumstances, but, should the engine battery voltage be lower than that of the leisure battery(s) it reverses and acts like a power pack, fully automatically

Broken Link Removed

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I should say, on cranking, only on engine cranking

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
if all you want to do is keep the security 'alive' while the battery is removed then a simple lead (fused) between hab battery and dash cig lighter socket (if its live with ignition off) will provide enough power.
if the socket is ignition switched you need to find a way to connect to the cab battery leads.
Or fit a Battery Master ;) available from Jims Shop

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Or fit a Battery Master ;) available from Jims Shop

Or, buy an RV, where most have a, you have to hold it down type, dash switch that links everything together. Actuating said switch, you hear the solanoids go clunk as the come on. Also some RV's are wired so that charging takes place normally of both start and house batteries. (y) :whistle: :LOL:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Wht did it take 3 days to replace your battery?

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Thanks to all who replied.
They are all worth a deal of thought except for buying an RV.
Nothing wrong with RVs, just an expensive way to solve a fairly straightforward problem.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@CandC
Can you tell me where you got your 100 amp fuses and holders, please?

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
@maison fuse holders here and strip fuses here. I used that company for all my split charge bits including the cable. Very good on price and really fast delivery too :)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thanks to all who replied.
They are all worth a deal of thought except for buying an RV.
Nothing wrong with RVs, just an expensive way to solve a fairly straightforward problem.

But comparatively make baattery masters look good value

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back