LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Has anyone ever had their MoHo damaged in rough weather on Brittany Ferries?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have had a few work vans damaged on ferries over the years. minor damage is a real pain to claim for and just too much hassle. hope your van is not too bad

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No, but a close friend had a bike fall over.. They started off by saying it was not their fault claiming act of god
When it was pointed out the act of god thing no longer holds water ( sic ! ) in court they changed it to, it was your responsibility to see it was stowed safely
At that point the solicitors got involved ...

Within a week they made an offer to cover all expenses accrued

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
have had a few work vans damaged on ferries over the years. minor damage is a real pain to claim for and just too much hassle. hope your van is not too bad

Thanks for your post @TheBig1

Not damaged at all (yet) - but bought a new van this year and deciding whether to go to Spain via Santander or St Malo in January - have done both before in the older 2nd hand one and all OK but as usual I am wary of rough weather in "The Bay" and the risk (if any) of this new lighter van sliding about on the garage deck.

Hence the question - does anyone know of MoHos sliding and colliding in the Ferry garage on a rough crossing?

I know, I know I am probably over reacting to some tales I have heard however where better than to seek advice relating to MoHos than on this forum :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have seen trailers chained down in rough weather and have helped strap down my bike PanEuopean but I would imagine it would be near impossible to strap/chain every vehicle down?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks for your post @TheBig1

Not damaged at all (yet) - but bought a new van this year and deciding whether to go to Spain via Santander or St Malo in January - have done both before in the older 2nd hand one and all OK but as usual I am wary of rough weather in "The Bay" and the risk (if any) of this new lighter van sliding about on the garage deck.

Hence the question - does anyone know of MoHos sliding and colliding in the Ferry garage on a rough crossing?

I know, I know I am probably over reacting to some tales I have heard however where better than to seek advice relating to MoHos than on this forum :)
It's easy to avoid damage when travelling - don't travel
Low branches, supermarket car parks, narrow petrol stations, wild elephants etc etc
Damage IS going to happen - just take care, and enjoy yourselves

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is what puts us off the long crossing, well that and being sea sick:sick:!, quite enjoy driving down France and saves us driving down the UK as we can go from Hull.

Talked to the crew on a recent P&O North Sea crossing and they were telling us about one they were on that got caught in the Bay of Biscay in a storm and they had a cement mixer on the deck that got away and ran amok causing total carnage.

Martin

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They put big blocks behind the wheels of ours and chains when we crossed in April

That was on the Pont Aven, the only ship I am prepared to go on for that journey.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
have used all the brittany ferries over the years ,all my vehicles have been chained down .
there was a time they only let you tie your motorbikes down . i carried a short ratchet strap that worked . last few times i took a m,bike they did a good tie down with straps and ropes .
have seen other vehicles that have moved but mines always been ok.
i like brittany ferries but i found the best one was the old sally line from folkestone. shame they went years ago.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have had damage on the Pont Aven. I was being loaded at Plymouth 2 years ago in my 12 meter plus trailer US RV. When on the boat you HAVE to follow the loaders instructions or they get all shitty. Anyway they told me to go between the hull and an artic that was too far over into my lane. I pointed out that I would not get my door open and also that opening my door automatically launched the steps. Finally they agreed I would not fit so they asked the "pissed" (with drink) Irish driver to move his lorry. They began directing him backwards despite being able to see my mirrors they were allowing him to reverse onto them. I sounded my horn 1 foot off and he stopped. Then moved forward and tried again with the same result. The third time the loader was right by my mirror; you guessed it he directed the lorry and it hit it. Superficial damage but I went ape as it was a new mirror. The loader gave me a note, I took pictures and he told me to see the loading captain in reception after they had sailed. This I did. The guy had already inspected the damage. He apologised and filled out the complaint form. When I got back to the UK I spoke to BF customer service asking if they wanted to order the parts, they said no just get them and send the bill. $1000. They paid by return and credited my next booking with £100 for the hassle.

So in short I have found them genuine and caring to a fault. The French loaders got lessons from the Gestopo however!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back