Disabling built-in apps on Google Nexus: Help please ! (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I have a Google Nexus 9 tablet with many built- in Google apps (eg Google Zhuyin Input, Google Play Newsstand, Google Play Music, Keep, Cloud Print, Fit etc etc ) that I don’t use but which consume data and clutter my desktop. When I try to disable them I get the message:

If you disable a built- in app other apps may misbehave. Your data will also be deleted.

Please can someone explain what “ misbehave” means here and what kind of data will be deleted ? Will disabling them gum up my Nexus and prevent it working properly ? Is there any way of simply removing the icons from the desktop display ?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Pretty sure its just scare tactics to stop you disabling. If you root your nexus you could uninstall, or just disable if you don't want to root.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Thank you. That looks reassuring. I' ll give it a go, one at a time.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a Google Nexus 9 tablet with many built- in Google apps (eg Google Zhuyin Input, Google Play Newsstand, Google Play Music, Keep, Cloud Print, Fit etc etc ) that I don’t use but which consume data and clutter my desktop. When I try to disable them I get the message:

If you disable a built- in app other apps may misbehave. Your data will also be deleted.

Please can someone explain what “ misbehave” means here and what kind of data will be deleted ? Will disabling them gum up my Nexus and prevent it working properly ? Is there any way of simply removing the icons from the desktop display ?
You might find some built in apps simply can't be uninstalled but you might be able to remove the icon from the home screen. Simply touch and hold the icon and then drag it to where you can probably see a cross or a dustbin symbol, probably on the left of the screen.

I wouldn't worry about the apps using too much memory. Android is very good at managing memory and your Nexus 9 has 2GB of RAM which should ensure everything runs well on it.

But other than this, how are you getting on with your Nexus 9?

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Thank you very much, I'll clear some of the icons at least.

I like the Nexus 9 very much. I've had a Nexus 7 for some time and, except for a glitch when I first upgraded to the current Lollypop OS from KitKat ,had no problems at all with that. The fix for that came eventually and sorted the gremlins. I felt a bit guilty buying a new tablet when I had a perfectly good one already but I did want a bigger screen, hence the Nexus 9. Its light years faster than the 7, even with the same operating system.

My OH has an iMac tablet but I can't see any advantages to that and, from my point of view it has a major disadvantage. I write a blog while we are away, for the family, and daily send the photos I took on my phone to the tablet via Bluetooth in order to write the blog on either Blogger or ( usually) Bloggeroid. An iMac will not interact with Bluetooth: a feature not a fault we are told. I also like the fact that my (Android) phone, desktop and tablet are all fully synchronised via Chrome. I have a Kindle and have always reckoned that I could not read whole e-books on my tablet as the back light caused me eye strain. I'm wrong, I can and do ( except outdoors in strong light) and enjoy having the colours and larger size for maps, photos etc.

I've got to the stage where I use the Nexus most of the time rather than either my desktop or a laptop, as it is so convenient and easy- and, even better, reliable !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thank you very much, I'll clear some of the icons at least.

I like the Nexus 9 very much. I've had a Nexus 7 for some time and, except for a glitch when I first upgraded to the current Lollypop OS from KitKat ,had no problems at all with that. The fix for that came eventually and sorted the gremlins. I felt a bit guilty buying a new tablet when I had a perfectly good one already but I did want a bigger screen, hence the Nexus 9. Its light years faster than the 7, even with the same operating system.

My OH has an iMac tablet but I can't see any advantages to that and, from my point of view it has a major disadvantage. I write a blog while we are away, for the family, and daily send the photos I took on my phone to the tablet via Bluetooth in order to write the blog on either Blogger or ( usually) Bloggeroid. An iMac will not interact with Bluetooth: a feature not a fault we are told. I also like the fact that my (Android) phone, desktop and tablet are all fully synchronised via Chrome. I have a Kindle and have always reckoned that I could not read whole e-books on my tablet as the back light caused me eye strain. I'm wrong, I can and do ( except outdoors in strong light) and enjoy having the colours and larger size for maps, photos etc.

I've got to the stage where I use the Nexus most of the time rather than either my desktop or a laptop, as it is so convenient and easy- and, even better, reliable !
Thanks, I have a Nexus 7 but it is an early 2012 one and really struggles with Android 5.1 as it only has 1GB of RAM. My wife has the Hudl 2 and this works very well with 5.1 but I am tempted to go for a Nexus 9.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
If you do get one can I suggest getting it from John Lewis ? They cost no more than from anywhere else but they do give an automatic 2 year guarantee, which is quite reassuring.

( I have no connection with JL or any other store !)

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back