Motorhome warranties - worth it? (1 Viewer)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The manufacturers warranty on our van is finished in a couple of weeks time and I was wondering if its worth buying another?

Any idea how much they cost?

Which are the best companies to go for?

Do these warranties cover the things that might actually go wrong?

Our van is a Swift so its very unlikely we will need a warranty anyway :) but you never know.

Thanks for any tips.

Paul

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
The manufacturers warranty on our van is finished in a couple of weeks time and I was wondering if its worth buying another?

Any idea how much they cost?

Which are the best companies to go for?

Try asking the Dealer you purchased your van from - he will be using a company himself to place warranties on his second hand vehicles like car dealers do too.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our extended warranty saved us a huge amount when the roof leaked.

Our particular model of vehicle ('05 CI Carioca 656) was subject to a factory recall because of water ingress through a faulty roof trim, but after it was fixed by CI it went again outside the initial warranty period. Because we had a 3 year extended warranty we didn't pay a penny of the estimated £3000 repair bill.

Our claim outstripped our premium by such a margin that they wouldn't let us renew it again. We had another smaller leak a few years later but it was sorted by our friendly mobile service guy for only £100.

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I bet for 1 good claim you hear about their are dozens that have complaints. I used to work in a garage parts department and we sold warranties with lots of used cars. We ended up offering a 12 month warranty with every used car. Simple reason 90% of the claims were never paid out. Excuses the warrant company gave was.

Wear and tear.
Not serviced as per terms and conditions.
Not covered under this warranty. Should have bought the more expensive one.

When the warranty claim was refused then the the garage owner would step in and say under warranty it would be £xx.xx but as a gesture of goodwill we will fix it for you and you will only have to pay 75% of the cost is should have been. Needless to say the estimate was way over priced in the first place.

Eventually he was caught out as he was charging for the warranty and did not actually purchase one for the car. If the owner came back he would just say the work was refused but he will do it cheaper for cash.

He went to jail for fraud and lost his business and house.

This was 20 years ago but I bet it still goes on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK @Easyliving I shall supply you with the wisdom of my father. This is what he used to say to me:
So the manufacturers obligatory warranty has run out, and you have a company touting to sell you their product. I have only one question, are they going to make money? If they are then you don't need their warranty!

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Our 3 year warranty is with 'autoprotect' and we asked at the time of purchase is it worth the extra £400. I'm pleased we decided to keep it as it's only stipulation is that it's serviced every year (mechanical & habitation) which we would have done anyway & they have paid out for a new electric element in the water heater then a year later a complete new water/heater boiler at £1100 + a 240v panel in the old thetford fridge then this year a new fridge/freezer at £1300

You pays your money, you take your chance. I think we have had our monies worth.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
We certainly have had our monies worth with the extended warranty we took out on our new to us Hymer, each year we have had to claim for something or the other, well worth having to get a habitation check done.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We bought our current MH about 6 years ago from a used MH dealer in west Wales. As a matter of course the owner gave his own 6 month warranty. Absolutely everything was covered, mechanical, electrical, habitation ... The presale inspection, preparation and automatic replacement of cambelt,& full service etc. meant that after 5 months of use just the rear drumbrakes needed adjustment - all done straight away with no problems. He does exactly the same for any MH he's selling, even if he's selling on behalf of someone, like ours. We never experienced this level of service from any main dealer, even when buying vehicles for 5 or 6 times the price of this one.

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
We had an insurance based extendent cover on our last MH from a company called MB&G insurance. Cost me £320 for 24mths the only stipulation was it needed to be serviced and hab checked annually.
Had a new alternator which was £212.00 cost me the £80 excess and I had a new clutch which was £800 they paid £500 and I paid the balance. Soon as the manufactures warranty runs out on my current MH I shall be contacting them again for a quote.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As an aside, made sure you get your base service and habitation check done BEFORE it runs out, that way if they find anything it will be covered.

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the replies. As has been said the various warranty companies are out to make a few quid but I think it seems to be worth the outlay to get peace of mind.

Paul

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for the replies. As has been said the various warranty companies are out to make a few quid but I think it seems to be worth the outlay to get peace of mind.

Paul
Just make sure you read whats included and to what extent, and what isn't.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We have an extended warranty on our MH and it has already saved us money for repairs/replacements.
Currently we are waiting for a replacement entertainment system and a repair to the Sargent PSU which causes the Thule step to not operate correctly.
The warranty company, MB&G, have authorised these to be done.
As has been said, as long as the vehicle and habitation services are up to date that is all they ask.

Hopefully these will be the last two repairs in a long running saga.
See the thread "Autotrail woes" for some night time reading.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back