Fiat verses Mercedes. (2 Viewers)

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Hi all,we are looking to buy a Cheyenne 635SE and most come with the Fiat 2.8 engine in the ones we have been looking at ,but now we have found one with the Mercedes 2.7 engine.Any pros and cons experience information on the difference would be most appreciated.As this will be our first motorhome we dont want to make a horrible mistake!!
Cheers Paul.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
No contest, the Merc engine will still be running years after the Fiat has been replaced twice. The merc chassis is renound for longevity as well. My own beast is 28 years old, never been welded and solid. Engine as sweet as a new one. Nuff said.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi all,we are looking to buy a Cheyenne 635SE and most come with the Fiat 2.8 engine in the ones we have been looking at ,but now we have found one with the Mercedes 2.7 engine.Any pros and cons experience information on the difference would be most appreciated.As this will be our first motorhome we dont want to make a horrible mistake!!
Cheers Paul.

I am biased towards Mercedes, Ihave read many articles about problems with Fiat vehcles, both mechanically (reverse gear judder) for example and poor Service from Fiat agents/garages. Mrecedes don't have many problems (RWD) and you pay a hefty premium new for the Mercedes version of any motorhome- the old addage- You only get what you pay for - springs to mind. In the end of course the decision is yours.
Good luck in your choice,
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Cheers Paul.

I have a Rimor Superbrig 627 Auto on a Mercedes Sprinter 313cdi 2200cc Turbo Diesel Automatic 6 berth............................

Peter

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
Only thing I can say is
We have just got rid of a Autotrail Scout on a Mercedes after 6 months because the back Axel's are too narrow which caused it to wobble especially on motorways and roundabouts or any wind about. The Mercedes engine is very good. Before the Mercedes we had a new Fiat multi jet 130 and that wouldn't reverse up hill either. We are now on our third motor home in a year and thats a Burnster on a Renault 2.5 engine and its BRILL.
If you do buy a Mercedes we have brand new used 4 times genuine silver screens to fit.

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Another good thing going for the Merc. is the timing chain, so no nasty timing belts to worry about.

Ken

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
We have a Peugeot X250 which apart from water dripping onto the engine cover now fixed has been OK, far superior drive to the old 2.8JTD. Looked at the Merc based Marquis Devon but we did`nt like the price, the look of the cab in or out and the noticeable sagginess in the suspension when entering throgh the habitation door which translates to me to being very wobbly at speed. Regarding longevity of engine do you want a van to last forever, if you do a merc is probably a better bet.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

On a motorhome I would rather have an ALKO chassis no matter who's engine is pulling it, and i would think that for most motor-homes you are really unlikely to wear-out the engines on any of the base vehicles be it Fiat, Ford, Peugeot or Mercedes

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i agree with braunston......an alko chassis has a wider rear track than any standard chassis so is more stable in corners and sidewind.
and its galvanized rather than painted.:Smile:

power plant is optional but it must be alko chassis'd:thumb:

sersol

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

On a motorhome I would rather have an ALKO chassis no matter who's engine is pulling it, and i would think that for most motor-homes you are really unlikely to wear-out the engines on any of the base vehicles be it Fiat, Ford, Peugeot or Mercedes

Braunston has hit the nail on the head.
I have both,Fiat & Mercedes & to be honest both seem ok,don't be "bedazzled" by the three pointed star on the bonnet :winky:

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
We have the x250 and yes it does have a slight judder in reverse uphill (Fiat phoned yesterday to say I will hear within two weeks to have the "fix" done) This vehicle is a dream to drive and the judder doesn't bother me, how much reversing do you do in a motorhome? There is no "roll" when driving and you don't even notice when wagons overtake you. There is a lot said about the judder on Fiats but for some reason the Merc owners don't create about it's faults. Like the p*** poor brakes or the lolling about on the road and there is no attempt by Merc to correct this. The service I get from my Fiat dealer is second to none, they are excellent. There are many "old" Fiat motorhomes around with 250000 miles or more on the clock. So as has been said "don't let the three pointed star" bedazzle you. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Fiat verses Mercedes,

Thanks for all the replies.I have driven a Mercedes Vito 2.3lt. van for 10 years covering about 180,000 miles with very little trouble apart from the front discs going out of shape fairly regularly,which was common on our fleet of 5 vans.So it looks like the chassis is more important,pardon a newbies ignorance here but what is a ALKO chassis and do Autotrail fit them to all vans or years?
Thanks Paul

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Here's a link to their UK web site which may explain better than I can, but in short ALKO make chassis for caravans and motor-homes and have done for quiet a number of years, when fitted to a motorhome what normally happens is ALKO obtain the base vehicle bare chassis and then cut off the section behind the cab and fit a one of theirs and then the motorhome converter puts the caravan bit on top of it.

I am sure someone can explain it better but have a look at the link, they also make other towing equipment so you may need to filter through some of that on their web site

Hope that helps

Al-Ko Kober

This link may be better

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/chassis-general.htm

Thanks for all the replies.I have driven a Mercedes Vito 2.3lt. van for 10 years covering about 180,000 miles with very little trouble apart from the front discs going out of shape fairly regularly,which was common on our fleet of 5 vans.So it looks like the chassis is more important,pardon a newbies ignorance here but what is a ALKO chassis and do Autotrail fit them to all vans or years?
Thanks Paul

Last edited:

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wurn

Drive both chassis and form your own opinion. I have had a Sprinter and now have a
Fiat. Too many folks have never driven or owned both and are quick to point out the merits of one over the other from a position of prejudice and ignorance. Not all, but some.

Both that I have owned have been excellent vans but if asked I much prefer the driveability of the Fiat. The brakes are better and it does not wallow around in the way that my Sprinter did. And I like the AL-KO chassis.

But, my Mercedes Dealer was better, albeit at a higher cost, and I did like the chain driven engine.

Remember that the best wine in the World is the one you enjoy the most and that might be from the cheaper end of the market. Same with motorhomes. Try before you buy.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
one problem that has been highlighted on here by dave newell concerned the boxing in of rear axle grease points on some alco chassis with an Autotrail body. This resulted in axle failure. Not all models are affected but do be aware of it. I obviously cannot compare the ride of my 1981 van with that of a modern one, however have never noticed it wallowing or having any handling problems. mine was a commercial vehicle chassis designed to take much more weight than it currently carries. You will find that Mercs have a greater payload and higher rated axles etc. (should you wish to carry a motorcycle etc).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
On a motorhome I would rather have an ALKO chassis

I've been under ours a couple times with the MOT guy, we were both mighty impressed at just how solid the chassis is and at 5 years old last time, not a hint of not being new. Amazing.

In Morocco, I don't know how it survived, they re-define rough roads and there were many times we hit ROUGH and then some.

This is pre-X250 so a van to be looked after until they start delivering judder free new ones. Not that I would buy a new one, mugs game, let someone else take to first big hit on depreciation. On top of judder, there does seem to be a tendency to put style by use of thin plastic over substance. Give me substance any day. I think I've just talked myself into making this our first and last motorhome. Only 20K miles now, I don't think we will ever wear it out.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I've been under ours a couple times with the MOT guy, we were both mighty impressed at just how solid the chassis is and at 5 years old last time, not a hint of not being new. Amazing.

In Morocco, I don't know how it survived, they re-define rough roads and there were many times we hit ROUGH and then some.

This is pre-X250 so a van to be looked after until they start delivering judder free new ones. Not that I would buy a new one, mugs game, let someone else take to first big hit on depreciation. On top of judder, there does seem to be a tendency to put style by use of thin plastic over substance. Give me substance any day. I think I've just talked myself into making this our first and last motorhome. Only 20K miles now, I don't think we will ever wear it out.
Mine's a 5 year old Burstner as well but with the Star. Equivalent Fiat van has ALKO and the new prices were near identical More storage with ALKO, more power with Merc. Better handling with ALKO, better on grass or towing with Merc, R.W.D.
Mine was tested at the end of February and was as clean as new underneath as well.
Seemples, pick what suits your needs , I did. :thumb: MERC !!! :RollEyes::shout:

nemu

Free Member
Mar 14, 2008
Funster No
Exp
no contest as far as i am concerned if you park on grass or drive in the snow

RWD wins hands down !

had two FIAT Ducato coachbuilts both excellent to drive on the road but just wait until you go on to grass, I got so fed up of getting stuck

Ditched front wheel drive in favour of rear wheel drive first on Iveco Daily now on MB Sprinter
(To be honest I have still been stuck in the Iveco but only a couple of times in 7 years and only needed assistance once - farmer & his tractor)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the best advise I can give has already been given,try them both :thumb: or even several vans before committing to one (make sure you get the layout right :thumb: even if it means hiring one or two vans ) My mate is running a new tranny and fiat on his works vans,and which do you thinks he likes better ?????? his old 180,000 mile Merc :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He gives the new vans to his work lads :ROFLMAO:From my own point I think in a motor home I would go for the wider track of the Fiat ::bigsmile: then again :Doh::Sad:--not much use without trying them all :ROFLMAO: LAYOUT LAYOUT LAYOUT:thumb::thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Wobble

Having spent the last few months in and out of many Auto-trails ( as well as others ) I was quite suprised how "wobbly" the Mercedes were versus the Alko chassis on the Fiat.

The narrow width of the wheelbase on the Mercedes meant that even parked up they moved and rolled about as I moved inside them..and rolled more on corners when I drove them.

I really didnt like this aspect..........in the end I bought the 3litre Fiat auto.
Which seems to drive a treat...and is very stable when parked.

Just a view of a newbie.

barry

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Blimey Barry, no one can accuse you of rushing into things you started this thread nearly two years ago. I'm glad you found the van for you, happy motor homing.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Blimey Barry, no one can accuse you of rushing into things you started this thread nearly two years ago. I'm glad you found the van for you, happy motor homing.

Hi Diane........true Ive taken my time .....but not 2 years:) I dont think it was me that started the thread.
Reading all the comments Im sure there are good things and bad about both set ups.......in the end I went with the fiat......and it reverses a treat :)

If fact Im thinking of going everywhere backwards:)

barry

Hymerjo

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Nil Contest Fiat v Mercedes

:Smile:Now on 4th Merc based motorhome - new 3 litre V6 engine is just superb and an effortless drive. When I watch those front wheel drive Fiats digging holes like dogs on wet grass I'm pleased that my rear wheel drive Merc with ESP copes so easy with such ground conditions. Cost you initially but worth every penny. Also always a waiting list for secondhand Merc based vehicles.
Good Luck

Deleted User
no contest as far as i am concerned if you park on grass or drive in the snow

RWD wins hands down !

had two FIAT Ducato coachbuilts both excellent to drive on the road but just wait until you go on to grass, I got so fed up of getting stuck

Ditched front wheel drive in favour of rear wheel drive first on Iveco Daily now on MB Sprinter
(To be honest I have still been stuck in the Iveco but only a couple of times in 7 years and only needed assistance once - farmer & his tractor)

I watched a dutchman last year in germany trying to get his fiat onto a levelling bloc on damp grass. After about 20 mins he gave up, he had no traction at all.

spongy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back