Fiat Ducato cruise control HELP (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Hi
In need of some help, we picked up our new motorhome last Thursday. Fiat Ducato 2011
it has a factory fitted cruise control and we can't get it to engage, Read the manual and manual states turn the cruise control on accelerate to desired speed, hold control stick forward to register the speed and the cruise should take over. we've tried this many times, won't engage we missing something. :Sad:

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Fiat ducat cruise control HELP

Hi
In need of some help, we picked up our new motorhome last Thursday. Fiat Ducato 2011
it has a factory fitted cruise control and we can't get it to engage, Read the manual and manual states turn the cruise control on accelerate to desired speed, hold control stick forward to register the speed and the cruise should take over. we've tried this many times, won't engage we missing something. :Sad:

Hi
Ive just spoken to fiat and they said it has to be above 4th or 5th gear is this correct.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I have no idea why you would use it in any lower gear than 4th or 5th.
So.. Firstly twist the lever to switch on cruise control.. You get a message on the dash "cruise control on"
Next drive off to somewhere nice and easy. Dual carriageway etc..
Once in top gear at a suitable speed push the lever forward/up..
If after this you change gear switch it off on the stalk or brake it will deactivate.
You can alter the speed by pushing up/forward(faster) or down /back (slower)

Hope this helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Fiat ducat cruise control HELP

Hi

Thank you for your response. we wernt trying to use it in a lower gear,
we were traveling between 55-60mph maybe it wasn't in the correct gear, will have to take it for a drive.::bigsmile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Ive just spoken to fiat and they said it has to be above 4th or 5th gear is this correct.

Makes sense. Who would want to pootle around in first gear with it engaged?? :winky:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
we have a 2012 Ducato based Rollerteam and it's definitely an UPWARD flick to set the cruise, once switched on. it can be a little non-intuitive to start with but once you get the hang it's easy.

and if you deactivate it through braking, say, a PULL will restart it and it will cruise back up to the set limit without you needing to accelerate using the pedal

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I had the same problem in 2009 with mine it is not a switch as such and if you do it as the book says it is wrong when you engage it an upward FLICK is what it needs if you push the stick up and hold it it is telling it 2 different things at the same time and will not engage.flick it it engages, each flick up or down after it is engaged increases or decreases by about 1 mph.
The book is not very clear once you get the idea of how little it needs you will have no more problems:thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
When the end of the cruise control switch/lever is turned/twisted to make the cruise control active, there should be a green light on the right hand side of the dash to indicate it's switched on.

Then, as everybody has said, flick the lever upwards when travelling at speed and it should 'lock-on' at that speed.

It will de-activate if you either touch the brakes OR the clutch. It's just a case of flicking the switch upwards (also works downwards) when you're ready for the cruise control to take over again.

An amazing bit of kit - we use ours almost the whole time. :thumb:

Hope you get it sorted (and enjoy).

Mike

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if all the posted advise, re pull/push etc fails, it may be one of the inhibitor switchs has failed.
One on the brake (may use the brake light switch) and one on the clutch.

If either have failed the system wont engage as it sees the brake or clutch pedal pressed.

My cruise drops out from time to time if i hit a pothole of similar, the brake pedal moves slightly with the sudden shock but enough to disengage the cruise

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Once engaged, each flick up will increase the speed by 2km p/hour not sure what that is in yards and inches.

The activation does take a bit of getting used to and if I don't drive ours for a couple of months then I can easily find myself swearing at the thing so you're not the only one.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Makes sense. Who would want to pootle around in first gear with it engaged?? :winky:

My car one comes on at 20mph in 3rd (or 2nd). The only way physically possible to comply with 20mph limits, as the human foot is incapable of not accelerating.

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Thanks for all the posts took it for a spin tonight and flicked the lever and it engaged straight away we got confused as the manual said different thanks again

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
I've just bought a Hymer 584, 2005 vintage (Fiat Ducato based). My cruise control doesn't even have a stick to waggle! It has 3 buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel - one is ON, one is OFF and the third is not marked. When I press ON, a little symbol on the dashboard lights up, it looks like a little speedometer dial. Apart from this, nothing happens, the speed you are at when you press ON is not maintained. Does anyone out there know what I should have done or is it just bust?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've just bought a Hymer 584, 2005 vintage (Fiat Ducato based). My cruise control doesn't even have a stick to waggle! It has 3 buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel - one is ON, one is OFF and the third is not marked. When I press ON, a little symbol on the dashboard lights up, it looks like a little speedometer dial. Apart from this, nothing happens, the speed you are at when you press ON is not maintained. Does anyone out there know what I should have done or is it just bust?
Might have needed a new thread for this but every cruise I've ever used has had two stages. first switch in, then engage. The on you've found, the engage may be a bit trickier.

Someone with a van like yours will no doubt be along shortly.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i think virtually all the 3 button systems ive seen and used have on off and set/resume

turn on, then press and hold the third button at the desired speed. touching accelerator brake or clutch will disengage the cc

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Re 2005 Fiat cruise control.
Right hand buttons on & off,third button not used.
left hand buttons + to engage & increase speed. - to decrease speed. R to resume previous speed after disengaging with tap on brake pedal or depressing cluth pedal.

When you get to the speed you want to cruise at press +button, control then takes over.
Wouldn't be without mine,brilliant bit of kit.
Barrie

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks everyone for the tips. I got to try them out for the first time today; it took a while as it's a bit of a palaver getting the van or lorry as we call it out of our drive. Also there are no proper main roads near our house. Anyway, Barrie seems to have hit the nail on the head: the + button on the l.h.s. of the steering wheel activated the cruise. It went up and down a small hill at a constant speed. Marvellous!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Once engaged, each flick up will increase the speed by 2km p/hour not sure what that is in yards and inches.

On our recent trip to France I've decided my cruise control still seems faulty.
It wont pull up hills (unless its a very slight hill), it try's, but when it needs more/full throttle i.e. when the engine tone changes, it then cuts out entirely. Also I would expect to be able to accelerate with the lever but it behaves just the same after the first 2 or 3 seconds.
Any ideas peaps?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Mine keeps starting the windscreen wipers...

Oops, sorry Kath says I'm an idiot...
Oh don't. My Eunos has the stalks the 'wrong' way round so when I get in Angela's car or the MoHo the bloody wipers are going, indicators are on when it's raining, total mess. :eek::LOL:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I know the thread has already been answered, but the thread title is so spot on, that anyone searching for how to use cruise control will end up here. So, full instructions are:
Cruise will not engage below 20mph regardless of which gear you are in, rule number 1!
To turn on the system, twist the bezel on the lower stalk on the left hand side of the steering wheel away from you, you should get a green light on the dash confirming the selection.
Drive up to the speed you wish to go, then flick the lower left stalk up once, this sets the speed. You may now take your feet off the pedals.
Tapping the brake or clutch will disengage the system, to resume your previously selected speed, press the button on the end of the stalk (it's marked 'RES' if you look).
If the road speed drops below 15mph under your selected speed, cruise will automatically disengage, for example when climbing a steep hill. This is normal.
When you are in cruise control, you can adjust the speed, by flicking the stalk up to accelerate, or down to decelerate.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you have an after market cruise control, sounds like the Gold one from Conrad Anderson. The 3rd button is a progamable memory, you can set for a pre- determined speed.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the posts took it for a spin tonight and flicked the lever and it engaged straight away we got confused as the manual said different thanks again

Mine (2015) also has a button on the end of the stock. It cancels and resumes the cruise control; I use it to mange my speed on windy roads unless of course I really need to break (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I must say if anyone out there hasn't got cruise as standard and would like it don't worry, we had a great system retro fitted by @dave newell lvs and it works a treat. Two pre sets and fully adjustable, I love it.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If the road speed drops below 15mph under your selected speed, cruise will automatically disengage, for example when climbing a steep hill. This is normal.
When you are in cruise control, you can adjust the speed, by flicking the stalk up to accelerate, or down to decelerate

Thanks for the reply but the fault is more complex.
It is the standard Fiat cruise control and I happily use it just as you stated.
It switches off well before it loses 15mph and will only accelerate for a couple of seconds on the stalk before it cuts out completely.
Should it keep accelerating when it goes onto full throttle and the engine note changes? This seems to be the time when it decides to cut out, as it does on hills in cruise.
Its the same sound you get when you bury the throttle whilst climbing an hill.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Does no one else have a button on the end of the cruise control stick? It's a pause and resume on my 2012 Ducato (come up to a slower vehicle and I press it to pause the cruise, then press again to resume once past).

(Whoops looks like I sent this at the same time as the others!)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks for the reply but the fault is more complex.
It is the standard Fiat cruise control and I happily use it just as you stated.
It switches off well before it loses 15mph and will only accelerate for a couple of seconds on the stalk before it cuts out completely.
Should it keep accelerating when it goes onto full throttle and the engine note changes? This seems to be the time when it decides to cut out, as it does on hills in cruise.
Its the same sound you get when you bury the throttle whilst climbing an hill.
Hopefully I have understood your query. I think what you are doing, correct me if I am wrong, is using the cruise stalk as a substitute for the throttle pedal when the system is engaged. So for example, you start to go up a hill, and the road speed starts to decrease, are you then holding the lever up to try to increase the speed?
This will cause the system to cut out before the 15mph because you are requesting a higher and higher speed, but the laws of physics are preventing this. So eventually you request a speed that is greater than 15mph over the travel speed, and the system shuts down.
What you need to do, well its what I do anyway, on starting a hill climb, cover the throttle pedal with your foot. If the system cuts out, bury the throttle pedal into the carpet (you may even want to lose a gear to keep on going). When the van is able to accelerate again, ie the road flattens out, hit the resume button and you will be taken back to your original speed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back