Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
morning, can anyone tell me if there is a way of finding out how many watts a solar panel is that's already fitted? Probably a very daft question but hey I'm new to all this !

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
some have the figure printed were the wire comes out but I would try and contact the previous owner and get more information,
solar panels are getting smaller for the same output from the earlier types so measuring will only give you a rough idea,

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If its written on it will be on the back and you cant see it, measure it and compare to the size and wattage of ones for sale.

Martin

oops too slow, but our old and new 80 watts are near enough the same size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
some have the figure printed were the wire comes out but I would try and contact the previous owner and get more information,
solar panels are getting smaller for the same output from the earlier types so measuring will only give you a rough idea,
The only thing we could find was a serial number , but I will check again. I had thought about contacting previous owner too

Upvote 0

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I would be tempted to try and measure it...

use it to charge a discharged battery, and measure the increase in SoC over a couple of hours on a sunny day and on a cloudy day, you'll get a much better idea of its usefulness than any (often optimistically) quoted output.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I had the same question a while ago, before I then found an associated invoice in the folder which told all. I think someone suggested getting a mirror, slide under the (fitted) panel near the wires/terminal, and you may see the wattage stamp in said mirror (or something like that).

Edit: here it is - http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/solar-panel-how-many-watts-is-it.103133/#post-1319759

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would be tempted to try and measure it...

use it to charge a discharged battery, and measure the increase in SoC over a couple of hours on a sunny day and on a cloudy day, you'll get a much better idea of its usefulness than any (often optimistically) quoted output.
We will do this when we get it, do they need the strong heat from the sun or is it the brightness on a nice day ? Just thinking the time of year

Upvote 0

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
We will do this when we get it, do they need the strong heat from the sun or is it the brightness on a nice day ? Just thinking the time of year

PV should depend on "brightness" not "heat" - in theory a bright winter's day should generate the same electricity as a bright summer's day - more in fact because summer days tend to be more hazy.

Of course most winter's days tend to be grey and overcast in the UK (although the coming winter is forecast to be dry and cold because of the El Nino), but measuring it on a grey day would give you information that is just as, if not more useful than measuring its maximum output. I can pretty much guarantee that it will spend more time working on grey days in the UK...

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As said it is the brightness of the sun but if the panel is flat on the roof it won't generate the same in the winter as the sun is too low compared to summer, panels work best pointed at the sun.

Martin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back