Propane regulator heater (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys

I've got a little heating element attached to the top of my gas regulator

At what temperature would it need to be switched on?

Thanks very much

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I'd put it at something like 5C - temperature of regulator will drop as gas is consumed Robert.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd put it at something like 5C - temperature of regulator will drop as gas is consumed Robert.
And would you leave it on 24/7 or just when using gas?
My concern would be about the power consumption

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I would imagine its probably quite a low wattage - something like 10w as its also probably enclosed within some sort of small wrap around lagging blanket??If so consumption pretty low . It should say what wattage it is?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hopefully wont be needed till you get back, unless you are coming back through the Alps again maybe

Is it something fitted by Carthago or something you have added? Either way what do the instructions say?

If your manuals are anything like mine a lot of the toys are not even mentioned, could it even be an automatic thing that you cant even set, bit like the heated grey water tank, I have no idea what temp that comes on at

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I would imagine its probably quite a low wattage - something like 10w as its also probably enclosed within some sort of small wrap around lagging blanket??If so consumption pretty low . It should say what wattage it is?
I'll ask the dealer !

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hopefully wont be needed till you get back, unless you are coming back through the Alps again maybe

Is it something fitted by Carthago or something you have added? Either way what do the instructions say?

If your manuals are anything like mine a lot of the toys are not even mentioned, could it even be an automatic thing that you cant even set, bit like the heated grey water tank, I have no idea what temp that comes on at
Hi David - not much detail about it in the book. It's s standard fitting, so the dealer should be able to advise. They probably mentioned it during the 3 hour handover, but I got a bit overloaded by all the info

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think they only consume about 150ma, shouldn't need it in the UK they are meant for when you go skiing and are parked up in the Alps in the middle of winter. Never used ours.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would think minus a lot, we have it and I think its automatic and not aware that it ever been on and that is down to -10. The spare elements for it are online and seem to be 12 volt 2 or 4 watt so not a lot of an amp and then the smaller one is half that, amps=watts/volts if you want to work it out.

Can't find any further explanation anywhere but will have a read of our instruction manual when in the van.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have seen these before.. Primary use is for butane bottle use as butane does not gas below a much higher temperature than propane.. No idea of the figures but I do know propane will still gas at -5C and butane will struggle at much below zero

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Read the manual and it tells you how to switch the heater on but it does not give a clue as to what temperature it would be required, I did read someplace that our MH was winterised to -40 so possibly of no real world use, certainly never needed it in our caravan days and the coldest was about -15.

Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Butane will not boil (gas off ) below +4c .. Propane stops boiling at somewhere around -40 c

Freezing of the regulator is caused by a high take off of gas.. and has little to do with the ambient temperature.. you can experience this phenomena when you use an aerosol can.. the nozzle starts to get cold.. and if held on long enough can freeze burn your finger

This 'freezing' can be seen on Propane fuelled fork lift trucks that have a vapour take off.. quite normal to see the regulator covered in frost until the engine heats up.. summer or winter..

So.. unless you see frost on the regulator there is no need to switch on the heater... on the other hand, as it only draws a small current, leaving it on will do no harm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back