Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi everyone... I called in to my local Sony Shop to buy a new mains power supply unit for a Vaio TGN laptop which I am passing on to a friend and was quoted £109.

Next door Maplins had a multi output voltage (and mulfi-connector plugs) one for around £35.

Does anyone have any experience with Maplins stuff?

JJ

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi everyone... I called in to my local Sony Shop to buy a new mains power supply unit for a Vaio TGN laptop which I am passing on to a friend and was quoted £109.

Next door Maplins had a multi output voltage (and mulfi-connector plugs) one for around £35.

Does anyone have any experience with Maplins stuff?

JJ
Know the exact one you've been looking at.

Basically that kind of thing from Maplins is horrendously overpriced. If you search ebay you will find the identical type/make on sale for far less, brand new, and from dealers as well.....which shows you just how much Maplins are making.

Only thing Maplins are good for are 'oddball' components, plugs, and cabling.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
maplins stuff isnt too bad, for a mains supply i'd expect to pay nearer 20 quid for it tho.

i assume the sony dosent have a strange power connector on it (think it's only dell that do that, and they inject a signal down the wire too, all to stop people using aftermarket supplies, fine untill you want to use a 12 volt laptop psu to avoid wasting power running an inverter and the mains psu, and dell dont do one,

never owned a dell for that reason, but know people who do and wished they'd gone for a maker that wanst so anal about aftermarket accessories.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
i assume the sony dosent have a strange power connector on it (think it's only dell that do that, and they inject a signal down the wire too, all to stop people using aftermarket supplies, fine untill you want to use a 12 volt laptop psu to avoid wasting power running an inverter and the mains psu, and dell dont do one,

never owned a dell for that reason, but know people who do and wished they'd gone for a maker that wanst so anal about aftermarket accessories.
Wrong on that!

I've just bought one of these (eBay id 270391252240) to power my Dell laptop, though i paid less than half this price off another eBay dealer. Very comprehensive piece of kit too......and its original Dell.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ooops, ahh well, must be another laptop maker who does the signal injection thing i was thinking of, or the weird plug that changes every model,

I like that i can buy a 90 watt 12 volt laptop psu for 30 quid that will work with 95% of laptops (mine will work any laptop that runs on 15 to 24 volts.. i've used it on 4 laptops now, as well as a netbook and to run a 22 inch TV that wanted 18 volts)

just not if you have a dell that has this signal injection thing... and a non standard plug....
like my bloomin camcorder.... ran a german 5 amp shuko extension lead from my inverter to the dash just to power the camcorders psu so we could film as we drove over the alps (bought the camcorder in germany, hence it's psu has a german plug on it)

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
our sony laptop power adapter died just outside the warrenty, cost us about £100 from sony for replacement. Laptops all have different power settings make sure it is compatable otherwise you will blow the laptop motherboard. We could not get a match for ours other than sony but as you say everywhere else was about third to half the price.

sony are good laptops but support is dreadful and parts a rip off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just bought a Maplins mains power supply and an car/plane one... both working well....

To appease my friend in the Sony shop I bought his car stereo system which he had offered at over £700 off!!! Long Live Rock and Roll... :)

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
laptop power

I bought a maplins 12v laptop power supply for £30 last week, as we have no 240v at the moment, it's been used quite a lot so far and its been spot on, doesn't drain the battery as much as an inverter, we have solar on the roof and with the charge from that the battery hasn't been even remotely drained, even though i've left the laptop plugged in overnight a few times :Doh:
it also has adjustable power from 5 volt to 24 volt and comes with loads of adapters.
i know you might find something cheaper on ebay but i got this one from a maplins store because if it goes wrong i know i can go in and get it swapped, not always the case with ebay.
a 240v laptop power supply only changes it to the correct low voltage anyway, usually between 15 and 19v for a laptop, so i think the 12v option is far better.
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back