Continental Vanco Camper tyres (CP) (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well, just had front two replaced with new ones. (£210. all in)
Very impressed with these tyres, 29,000 miles and still 4 mm of thread left and would probably get another 10, 000 miles out of them but planning another trip to Morocco so got the front two changed and will do the rear ones in a couple of years as they still have 6-8mm and look in great nick. Checked by tyre guy and he said AOK. Will get them checked again before we depart though.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our van has just had its 5th birthday and on original Continental Vanco Camper tyres @ 28,000+ miles.

Although there is obviously wear, they should be good for another 6 - 12 months. Certainly no concerns raised at the MOT three weeks ago.

They will soon be ready for replacement on an age-alone basis, in any case.

But they have lasted well and thankfully not let us down so far.

Mike

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
for anyone going to morocco remember tyres can be expensive there.
if you can have good spare wheels and tyres complete but if you can take your old tyres as well. if they have enough tread to get you home you might be grateful.
mind they are good at repairing tyres there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
PhilandMena - what Psi/Bar were you running the tyres on?

I use 51psi (3.5 bar) in the front ones and 61psi (4.2bar) in the rear tyres and we're coming up to 18000 miles with a good tread still left in both front and rear.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
PhilandMena - what Psi/Bar were you running the tyres on?

I use 51psi (3.5 bar) in the front ones and 61psi (4.2bar) in the rear tyres and we're coming up to 18000 miles with a good tread still left in both front and rear.
4.3 front 5.o at rear. My pressures were determined by actual axle weight and tyre size.
You can get the correct pressures by emailing Continental direct or from there technical manual. I've attached the one that covers my build, not sure if it covers yours but you can check out anyway.
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/cz/cz/continental/automobil/temata/ke stazeni/hidden/tech_databook_cz.pdf

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Well, just had front two replaced with new ones. (£210. all in)
Very impressed with these tyres, 29,000 miles and still 4 mm of thread left and would probably get another 10, 000 miles out of them but planning another trip to Morocco so got the front two changed and will do the rear ones in a couple of years as they still have 6-8mm and look in great nick. Checked by tyre guy and he said AOK. Will get them checked again before we depart though.
We put a set on 2 1/2 years ago and done around 22,000km and they still look nearly new.
We run 3.5 bar on the front and 4bar on the rear, it's roughly what our Alco chassis handbook suggests and I have to say it gives a much more comfortable ride than the pressures marked on the plate on the cab. Great grip as well. Were're really pleased with them, although probably more expensive than in the UK

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We put a set on 2 1/2 years ago and done around 22,000km and they still look nearly new.
We run 3.5 bar on the front and 4bar on the rear, it's roughly what our Alco chassis handbook suggests and I have to say it gives a much more comfortable ride than the pressures marked on the plate on the cab. Great grip as well. Were're really pleased with them, although probably more expensive than in the UK
This is not the correct way to set your tyre pressures. Ignore the Alco Chassis handbook, you need to talk with the tyre manufacturer not the base chassis manufacturer.
(There are numerous threads on here about this subject).
The correct method is to weigh your motorhome front or rear then whole motorhome so you have the exact weight of both sets of axle's, then either contact Continental direct with tyre detail and axle weights, who in turn will give you the correct pressure's for your tyres or use their technical data manual.
Recently, Michelin advised all there rear tyres to be set at 5 bar (Most motorhome running at maximum weight or overloaded and I beleive Continental are now also following this advice.
In my case, my set up requires me to run my rear tyres at 5 bar anyway.
One last point, if you are going to weigh your motorhome make sure it's fully loaded as you would for a trip.
Safe Travels.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
This is a reply from Continental to the weights I have when fully loaded on front and rear axles -

Front: 3.25bar - 47psi pressure applicable to a maximum permissible load of1590kg. 1850kg Max loading at 4bar - 58psi (1875kg maximum at this pressure)

Rear: 4.25bar - 61psi pressure applicable to a maximum permissible load of1970kg. 2000kg Max loading at 4.5bar - 65psi (2060kg maximum at this pressure)

As a general rule for pressures on this tyre, every 100kg added from the base figure of 1490kg at 3bar (43.5psi) will require an increase of 0.25bar(3.6psi) in pressure up to a maximum of 2060kg at 4.5bar (65psi)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That's a bit odd. Maximum pressure for Continental tyres is 80 psi or 5 bar. Surprised they are quoting only up to 4.5 bar. Perhaps it's because of the loading/limitaions on your axle's ?

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
What size tyres are you quoting the pressures for, if i ran my 225x65x16 at 47psi or even 58psi on the front,i'm sure they would look flat, my rear axles are at 70psi and feel ok on the road . front is 80 psi
ps ..i'm on new conti campers, all 6 of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back