Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I read on many threads the recommendation to buy used MH's abroad for better value. Something I would never have considered when looking, in the end I spotted my van in the local small ads, being relatively local I could view it and be shown how it all works by an enthusiastic owner. My van is rare in the UK, I know of another owner who brought a similar van around the same time from a dealer in Belgium, on his first outing he broke down, then noticed the battery was not charging and other problems, he was in contact with the dealer and repair work was agreed but because of the cost they asked him to take it back for them to do the work. Just something for you to consider if buying abroad. Another point to raise when buying from a hotter country is the habitation check, how much bad weather have they been through and probably dried up due to the hot weather but not sealed ready for UK weather.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
When people talk of buying a MH 'abroad' they generally mean Germany, I dont think that the climate is an issue but yes you have a fair point about aftersales service. However there are quite a few posts on here complaining about aftersales/warranty with UK dealers.

The high Euro rate at the moment makes it attractive to buy a MH in Europe. It would be nice if english people studied the available market a little more and looked at things other than ATs and Swift etc, It might encourage the british manufacturers to raise their game a little - correction, A lot!

Jon

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You make a good point with repair/warranty, but if you buy a good quality German one the issues will revolve around OEM kit which you can get resolved with the OEM manufacturer under their warranty. So for example when bringing my new Flair back from Germany a boot on the steering rack had been damaged, probably in the very early life of the chassis, the result was a corroded arm whilst it sat in an Iveco yard in the elements of winter. When I started to travel the lip seal failed and fluid started leaking out. Eventually power steering was no more! But it was an Iveco issue, fixed by Iveco at my local commercial garage. No supplying dealer would have done this in any event. I had an issue with my Dometic Fridge, a call to Dometic got that resolved. The only problem related to the MH manufacturer so far is an issue with a leaking joint in the pipework at the garage shower, a quick post on here identified how the connectors were assembled and I fixed it in 2 minutes. I certainly would not have taken it hundreds of miles up the road to the UK dealer.
Of course if you have serious issues with construction then it would likely be a trip to the factory through the dealer or by yourself, so whilst your comment has merit for the less mechanically minded who need a lot of hand holding, those who possess some experience and simple mechanical/electrical skills can manage most of the issues arising, I would contend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Our Hymer now 14 years was an import for the first owner from Belgium, Campirama. Looking at the original invoice the savings were massive (about 70% of the UK price) and we think far out-way any concerns over warranty issues. We've been studying the market just recently and hope that the euro will sustain it's current rate for a while longer (y).

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I read on many threads the recommendation to buy used MH's abroad for better value. Something I would never have considered when looking, in the end I spotted my van in the local small ads, being relatively local I could view it and be shown how it all works by an enthusiastic owner. My van is rare in the UK, I know of another owner who brought a similar van around the same time from a dealer in Belgium, on his first outing he broke down, then noticed the battery was not charging and other problems, he was in contact with the dealer and repair work was agreed but because of the cost they asked him to take it back for them to do the work. Just something for you to consider if buying abroad. Another point to raise when buying from a hotter country is the habitation check, how much bad weather have they been through and probably dried up due to the hot weather but not sealed ready for UK weather.
But if you you had broken down on the way home what would you have done with no warranty from a private buyer..?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have bought one or three vans back from Germany all over 10years old and on each spent some time going through the van and road tested each ,just like you would at home.
Then depending on findings would negotiate the price that I consider its value.so no warrantee it is then up to me to insure and get it home .
The present on 1994 .1 owner with full service history and a book of recites .service parts etc.
And if it had broken down for that I have insurance (I am the unit of membership not the vehicle ADAC)
But it /they didn't so alls well etc then its just hmrc .uk insurance and Dvla after an mot .Value for money ? Yes and you get to see some great scenery if you plan ahead .

And presently enjoying it down in Spain where the rain is warmer:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But if you you had broken down on the way home what would you have done with no warranty from a private buyer..?

whats the odds on that happening in a 4 hr drive..slim I should think. you can get a comprehensive DEKRA inspection on the chassis side of a camper for £100. Or as JR above join ADAC......there is always a solution

My new favorite saying:) " if ifs and buts were pots and pans there would be no work for tinkers"

muddywellies

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Varies in Europe
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy under 6m.
Exp
A MH virgin - but not for long!! ;-)
It's definitely worth your while looking around. I do most traveling on the continent, so LHD was a useful feature. I think buying the 150hp motor should not be overlooked. There's no difference in fuel use to speak of and the engine runs like a watch and pulls like a train. Buying secondhand and losing the 20%VAT is an obvious advantage for buying used. Mine had 8000 on the clock for a 2o14 machine. The first service was at 45000! I bought through a UK dealer. Superb service. My Fiat Engine Service was quoted at £430 or thereabouts. My dealer did it for just under £150.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I didn't know RAC fixed leaking seals, Truma repairs and cracked shower trays...?
Horses for courses ......

Don't think any of the above would stop you getting it home, leaking seals would/should have shown up when you damp checked it, truma demonstrated running before purchase and if it packs up after get it fixed, cracked shower tray would be there when you inspected it before purchase.

Martin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Don't think any of the above would stop you getting it home, leaking seals would/should have shown up when you damp checked it, truma demonstrated running before purchase and if it packs up after get it fixed, cracked shower tray would be there when you inspected it before purchase.

Martin

Funny that...... The lame excuses that some use to spend 10's of 1000's more for the same van!:D

best being if you dont buy one from ME for £25,000 more (in case of 2 vans being considered) then I wont service YOUR import in the future...

They may have gone bust anyway down the line (yes it happens!) so what would I have to do then?...go with cap in hand to another?:rolleyes: Well no thanks I'll continues to shop abroad, get excellent service and VFM, deal with established companies with a good long standing reputation.

I would also be losing the convenient option of getting a fair and honest PX price on my next LHD van:coffee:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back