Leaving a van on permanent hook up ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I read on another Forum where a chap leaves his van on permanent hook up when parked up say perhaps through winter. It was because he reckons the fridges in these MHs of ours don't like being switched on and off.

It just doesn't seem right to me. But what do I know ?

When everything is off there is less risk of say an electrical fire ? OK the 12V is still live but all the bigger boxes are off ?

How water proof would the blue plug on the outside of the van be over longer periods ?

My plan is to hook up every couple of weeks just to keep the batteries topped up and leave the fridge turned off with the door open .

Opinions ?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We leave our van plugged in constantly but the blue plug is inside (as is the van)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
With a modern charger, there is no problem keeping it plugged in all the time to keep the batteries charged, the 16A Blue plug is designed to be used outside 24/7 .. I wouldn't power the fridge or any other 240v appliance.. no point.

My batteries, both engine and habitation, are kept in good shape with the solar panels...

Before a trip I will plug in the 240v for 48hrs before travelling and switch on the fridge to get it down to temperature..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Always on EHU when at home.
We therefore have no worries about the batteries. Our fridge is off.

Plug specification requires it to be waterproof (see some of the answers in your earlier thread)
Broken Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
With a modern charger, there is no problem keeping it plugged in all the time to keep the batteries charged, the 16A Blue plug is designed to be used outside 24/7 .. I wouldn't power the fridge or any other 240v appliance.. no point.

My batteries, both engine and habitation, are kept in good shape with the solar panels...

Before a trip I will plug in the 240v for 48hrs before travelling and switch on the fridge to get it down to temperature..
Same here, except only 24 hours :)

Deleted User
We use our van all year, but if it's going to be stood a month or so, we'll plug in to keep the batteries topped up.

We've never left our fridge on whilst at home, even if the van is plugged in.

Our last fridge lasted 10 years (and was still working when we sold the van) so think that the theory they "don't like being switched on and off" is a load of stinky stuff :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Leave ours plugged in all winter with a thermostatically controlled convector heater to protect from frost. During the warmer months we rely on the solar panel to keep things topped up and put the fridge on gas the day before we travel to get the temperature down.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Yes, but it's not plugged in. Much easier to press a couple of buttons than run out the cable and then stow it again.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No

Same here, except only 24 hours :)

Likewise

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Leave ours plugged in but fridge off until 24 hours before its needed.

Use the tank frost protect setting if not drained down, although we tend to drain the system if it is being stood idle for long periods, not that there are many of them.;)

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
We have a EHU , permanently in place on the drive, when we get home she gets plugged in and stays that way, Also had a battery master thing fitted which will top the engine battery up should it need it. We leave the fridge on all the time, even when stood, no matter how I have left it in the past it always seemed to get mouldy but it doesnt if you leave it on. Plus our daughter and the neighbours kids like to have a picnic inside the van on the drive and pretend they are going off somewhere

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We leave the fridge on all the time, even when stood, no matter how I have left it in the past it always seemed to get mouldy
..... especially if you switch it off and forget the bag of peas in the freezer ..... :sick:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I read on another Forum where a chap leaves his van on permanent hook up when parked up say perhaps through winter. It was because he reckons the fridges in these MHs of ours don't like being switched on and off.

It just doesn't seem right to me. But what do I know ?

When everything is off there is less risk of say an electrical fire ? OK the 12V is still live but all the bigger boxes are off ?

How water proof would the blue plug on the outside of the van be over longer periods ?

My plan is to hook up every couple of weeks just to keep the batteries topped up and leave the fridge turned off with the door open .

Opinions ?
Always on EHU in our garage
We therefore have no problems with the batteries. Our fridge off until 2/3 days before travel were we switch it on ready for food.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Schaudt do not advise leaving their chargers permanently on!

I wonder what Sargent's advise about their systems?

Need a sort of timeswitch to turn the mains on and off periodically to save having to keep a diary to control the thing.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Ours has an EHU on the drive and is always plugged in.
The Sargent charger says no issues for permanent use but I do sometimes switch off the charger as the solar keeps everything charged.
Fridge on for days before as Mrs M likes to make sure we take EVERYTHING we have!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Schaudt do not advise leaving their chargers permanently on!

wasn't aware of this..

don't have the manual to hand.. what advice to they give ?

EDIT

just found the info, I stand corrected..

8. Do not leave the Motorhome connected to the mains 240V for long periods when not in use. The units are designed to be connected to the mains for just a couple of months a year. Hooking the MH up to mains for long periods of time will shorten their life.

http://www.atlanticmotorhomeservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Ive got this idea of plugging in and setting a timer so it comes on every day for just an hour or so. Is this reasonable ?

The Opitimate battery tenders I used to use on the M/cycle batteries used to kill batteries if left permanently on.

Would like to avoid that !

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Ive got this idea of plugging in and setting a timer so it comes on every day for just an hour or so. Is this reasonable ?

The Opitimate battery tenders I used to use on the M/cycle batteries used to kill batteries if left permanently on.

Would like to avoid that !
Why would you want to do this? when your MH will already do it, as when the batteries are charged little or no electricity is used. I have monitored the amount of electricity used per day and it's pennies or in my case cents.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ours is always on hook up, fridge on, heater (ALDE) also left on 1Kw set at 8C, it does mean we always have hot water which is the only real waste, always ready to go, fridge is used as a back up to the house if we have a lot staying over (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes, but it's not plugged in. Much easier to press a couple of buttons than run out the cable and then stow it again.
We do the same.. Night before leaving turn the fridge on ( gas ) .. I could run the EHU but considering what a pitiful amount of gas the fridge uses I am happy to do it my way and save a lot of faffing around !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back