Cannot drive MOT fail on road.....it seems. (1 Viewer)

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
As Jim say's why would you, as you would knowingly be driving an unsafe vehicle on the highway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh well, sorry I posted the info.:)
Don't be sorry. I didn't know and there are reasons one may wish to drive .... e.g you had banked on it passing.

I took my motorhome for MOT once, last one, convinced it was going to pass .. I had a month to go ... and was due to go to a MHF rally the next week. IT FAILED :( ... so I booked it in for my return from the meet to be sorted ... but according to that I shouldn't have driven it. So I have learned something new.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
The info is useful as many people used to believe (and probably still do) that you can still drive the vehicle using the MOT that technically hasn't run out, but the minute the vehicle fails you are buggered all though before the computerised system you would have probably got away with it

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
If a vehicle failed say due to a tyre with insufficient tread and you had it replaced, then surely you would be legal on the "old" mot certificate.

Dave

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If a vehicle failed say due to a tyre with insufficient tread and you had it replaced, then surely you would be legal on the "old" mot certificate.

Dave

Surely if you replaced the defective tyre and that was the only advisory you would then get your new certificate.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Well if your current MOT is super ceded by the new one, that means you have lost a months MOT so you might as well leave Getting the Mot till the last Minute!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well if your current MOT is super ceded by the new one, that means you have lost a months MOT so you might as well leave Getting the Mot till the last Minute!

Earliest date you can get an MOT
An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/when-to-get-an-mot

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Surely if you replaced the defective tyre and that was the only advisory you would then get your new certificate.

Well a defective tyre wouldn't be and "advisory" it would be a fail. The place that I use for MOTs doesn't sell tyres so it would mean taking the vehicle away and (possibly) making another appointment for an MOT test so there could well be a delay in getting the new certificate.

BTW I have never had an "advisory" or a fail, my vehicles are properly prepared for MOT testing so the above scenario is just that, a scenario.

Dave

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Yes I know this.....but effectively, it's moot because you cannot have that months grace if your vehicle fails under the new MOT.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
In the past,i had vehicles with winter time MOT dates, re-MOT'd in the summer,reason,longer, warmer,lighter days,to be working outside in the,"Big Blue garage "....
Teaq Bag

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Well a defective tyre wouldn't be and "advisory" it would be a fail. The place that I use for MOTs doesn't sell tyres so it would mean taking the vehicle away and (possibly) making another appointment for an MOT test so there could well be a delay in getting the new certificate.

BTW I have never had an "advisory" or a fail, my vehicles are properly prepared for MOT testing so the above scenario is just that, a scenario.

Dave

But if it fails you technically can't drive it as it has failed only to get the repair done. In the case of a tyre I would have thought that they¡d frown on it being driven when the wheel could have been removed ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Makes sense i suppose.
The MOT is only current at the time of test so if it fails an early test it is unroadworthy at that time....not when it expires.

Even with a current valid MOT certificate if any MOTable faults are present an offence is being committed and you can be prosecuted.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Only applies if it passes Jim, not if it fails.
If it fails then it is unroadworthy at that time....regardless of expiry date

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Only applies if it passes Jim, not if it fails.
If it fails then it is unroadworthy at that time....regardless of expiry date

yes John.. that is a given.. inform HMG .. I'm only quoting

the GOV site is VERY informative with all questions answered..

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
But if it fails you technically can't drive it as it has failed only to get the repair done. In the case of a tyre I would have thought that they¡d frown on it being driven when the wheel could have been removed ?

So I drive it to the tyre dealers to get the defect remedied.

Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Dave
And heres a picture of Dave doing exactly that.

light-michelin-man-sitting-on-tyres.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok, we've got the jist of it but what if you go to a mot place that doesn't do repairs, as I do ,and it fails , I suppose you are meant to have it trailered away, is that right?
It was ok to go but not come back(n)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ok, we've got the jist of it but what if you go to a mot place that doesn't do repairs, as I do ,and it fails , I suppose you are meant to have it trailered away, is that right?
It was ok to go but not come back(n)
Yes that would be how I read it.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You must not drive the vehicle on the road if it fails the test, even if the MOT hasn’t run out, except to:

1. have the failed defects fixed
  2. a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

The way I understand that is the vehicle should not be presented in a dangerous condition. If it fails on a non dangerous fault, it can be driven only to a repairer for the fault/s to be repaired. Remember a blown light bulb is a failure, but is not a dangerous fault. For the pre-arranged MOT re-test appointment the vehicle should have had the faults repaired.

An advisory is not a failure and many garages now, will do a test even thought the owner has reported a failing and requested that it be sorted. They then list the fault as failure or an advisory and repair it before issuing the pass certificate. This gives them brownie points with the DVSA as they appear to have picked up the fault in the test. After having had this happen to me more than once I have decided to use another garage. I book my vehicle in for a full service informing them of any problems I am aware of and an MOT. They for the last 2 years have done it the other way round.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Dave

And then book a re-test to have the MOT done again and hopefully no other fault has then turned up!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
other than to drive it back for a re-test, which is allowed.. why would you want to .. ?
To get it home from the Test Station or to take it to another garage to have the problem fixed before retesting perhaps!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Gov.uk says:
Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You must not drive the vehicle on the road if it fails the test, even if the MOT hasn’t run out, except to:

1. have the failed defects fixed
  2. a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.
In an attempt to put things simply so that mere mortals can understand, the authors of Gov.uk have once again oversimplified to the point of being misleading. This is happening all over that site, unfortunately.

Let us assume you know little about vehicle mechanics. Your car develops a suspension fault which is dangerous, but isn't obvious to someone not mechanically qualified.

While doing the school run, you are committing the offence of driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition, but if prosecuted, have good mitigating circumstances to lessen the penalty.

You take it for a test & it fails. The garage who you intend to have do the repairs can't fit you in for a week. Now if you continue to do the school run, you are knowingly committing an offence & have no mitigating circumstances. However, Gov.uk has just told you that you can drive the vehicle if you are going to the garage to have a defect fixed. It's not very clear whether the following paragraph prohibits this if the defect is dangerous, or whether it's just a general warning about the possible consequences of continuing the general use a vehicle after it has failed.

It does tell you that you can drive to the test station for a re-test, but doesn't actually say if you can drive home from the first failure, if it's not practical to drive straight to the intended repairer. The wording on the fail document is:
This document tells you that your vehicle has not been shown to meet the minimum
legal requirements for the reason(s) detailed. If you intend to use your vehicle on the road
you should have it repaired without delay and have it retested before the existing test
validity expires.

Note 'without delay' - not 'immediately' & the reference to getting it done before the old certificate expires.

You have to read on to the next page on Gov.uk to discover that you can take the vehicle away & rely on the unexpired certificate to be safe from penalty for having no MOT.
Taking your vehicle away for repairs
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

You can only take your vehicle to or from somewhere to be repaired if your MOT has run out.
That last sentence is badly worded. It is a separate paragraph, so should stand on its own. It would make sense if it was part of the previous paragraph, but on its own it should have its order reversed. It should read 'If your MOT has run out you can only take your vehicle to or from somewhere to be repaired.' As it stands, it actually says the reverse of what it is supposed to mean.

My reading of the whole section is that you could still be liable for using a vehicle in a dangerous condition though. I don't think that is made clear enough. The only mention of that offence makes it rather look as if it's related to driving without an MOT, which it isn't - it's unrelated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back