Hello from Patsy4 and Neil in Greece (1 Viewer)

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hello just arrived in Greece.

Interesting ferry trip took a while to get on Ferry, because someone drove of the top deck onto the ramp and wrote their car off, they were still in the car as it landed. Fuel everywhere, very hot 38C waiting in the queue.

Met a lovely dutch couple who we wild camped at Plataira with. Today we have driven to Meteora to see the monastries tomorrow.

We are staying at Camping Vrachos in Kastraki Kalabaka, big site with different size plots. Swimming pool and free Wifi.

Having a great time.

On the way up we stayed at the kayserberg french aire 80 plots as it was full.

Regards Pat and Neil

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Have fun Neil and Pat and I want pictures of you in the little red boat. I'm not jealous really:Angry:

Sonja

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Pat & Neil,

It's great to hear that you are that far away with a MH, and enjoying yourselves. Stefado (beef dish) and Afelia (pork dish), as well as Kleftiko (lamb dish), and a rice dish wrapped up in vine leaves (can't remember the name, possibly Dolmades), are all treats to be tried.

Have a great time. Wish we were there. :winky:

All the best,

Jock & Rita.

Hello just arrived in Greece.

Interesting ferry trip took a while to get on Ferry, because someone drove of the top deck onto the ramp and wrote their car off, they were still in the car as it landed. Fuel everywhere, very hot 38C waiting in the queue.

Met a lovely dutch couple who we wild camped at Plataira with. Today we have driven to Meteora to see the monastries tomorrow.

We are staying at Camping Vrachos in Kastraki Kalabaka, big site with different size plots. Swimming pool and free Wifi.

Having a great time.

On the way up we stayed at the kayserberg french aire 80 plots as it was full.

Regards Pat and Neil

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pat & Neil,

It's great to hear that you are that far away with a MH, and enjoying yourselves. Stefado (beef dish) and Afelia (pork dish), as well as Kleftiko (lamb dish), and a rice dish wrapped up in vine leaves (can't remember the name, possibly Dolmades), are all treats to be tried.

Have a great time. Wish we were there. :winky:

All the best,

Jock & Rita.

and dont forget that famous greek drink.....no, not Ouzo....

HEINEKEN.:ROFLMAO:

the ONLY european lager we could find:Angry:

have fun :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
WHAT !!!!!! Greece, the birthplace of civilisation !!!!!!! try Homer (not Simpson) for a famous Greek author....:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Damn you to HELL.

I'd set that up for someone to answer Homer so that I could come back with a Simpson joke.

Then you spoil it !!!

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
more from Greece

Hello all

We had a fantastic day at Meteroa around the monastries.

And a fantastic storm in the evening

We have now moved on 235 kilometres to Delphi, and are staying at Delphi camping which has really great views of the corinth Gulf Bay. We are catching a little tourist train tomorrow from the site to Delphi to see the ampithetre and museum. The site is good, restaurant only mediocre, but the views make up for it.

Looks like we are in for another thunderstorm tonight, bit clammy and dark.

Wifi here a bit patchy.

Hope all is well with you all.

Love Pat and Neilx

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Visited Delphi today, nice when its finished.

Seriously though, we got there before the hordes of tourists on coaches, and the place was quite magical, beautiful setting and well worth a visit.

Camping Delphi is wonderful, the owners and staff are very friendly and we highly recommend it as a base for Delphi.

The Dutch camping club arrived here in force today, so some of the tranquillity has gone, however still great.

Going either to Athens or Korinth Canal tomorrow, may leave Athens as its quite hot.

Regards

Pat and Neil

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Have fun Neil and Pat and I want pictures of you in the little red boat. I'm not jealous really:Angry:

Sonja

Hi Pat and Neil, sounds like your having FUN. Hope your not going down the Korinth Canal , in that little Red Boat. :winky: I'm not jealous either. Sorry Pat I cant make the picture any bigger, but thats a ship down there.::bigsmile:::bigsmile::Smile:Bob. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Damn you to HELL.

I'd set that up for someone to answer Homer so that I could come back with a Simpson joke.

Then you spoil it !!!

Try getting up earlier in the morning !!!!! And get out more !!!...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

No offence intended...:thumb:

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hello from a very hot Greece.

We stayed at a place just outside Nafplio at Karathona Beach wild camp, large area covered with some trees, the sea was great here and we got to use our Kayak everyday.

On the 3rd night there was a rave going on at one of the bars as the beach and there was a lot of coming and going. A group of youngsters decided to light a fire and have a bit of a party behind our motorhome, we had to move down the road a bit for piece of mind.

We are now at Plata Beach just south of Leonidido staying in a designated private car park for motorhomes. Staying here for 3 nights. All though behind a bar area it is pretty quiet after 7pm, and the sea is right next to us. We also have all facilities apart from the fact its a cold shower, which is okay after being in the sea.

35C today, we are based by the beach and keep going in for refreshing dips to cool down.

Rode up into the mountains yesterday to a lovely village, the roads were very winding but we couldnt stay for something to eat as the Greeks eat late and it would have meant riding back down the winding roads without any barriers in the dark, not my idea of fun.

Moving to Monemvasia tomorrow.

Regards Pat and Neil
Link Removed

Last edited:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thanks for posting the album greece 2009, I get to go all round the world just by looking at all these posts ! :thumb: :Smile:

wills5138

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Nort West Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Fantastic.
We have been going to Greece for some years now but never in a motorhome.
Skiathos is our favourite place but no trip abroad this year.
Would love to go to Greece in our Autosleeper. Maybe one day we will.
Hope you have a great summer!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
hi patsy and Neil.

Your just a couple of lightweights, you chose Greece over the Stratford show where you could of experienced 36 hours of solid rain!!!::bigsmile:

Hope your having a good time and Ihope your step is fixed, see ou wehn you get back.:thumb:

wendyre

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
sutton-in-ashfield
Funster No
MH
rollerteam
Exp
some fantastic photo's Pat wish we were there with you.enjoy the rest of your tour.
my vans packed and ready for france
::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi all

We went to Koroni and was going to stay on the port area, however it was very smelly with waste in the water.

So we decided to go off and explore some of the pathways looking for somewhere to camp for the night. We found a lovely little cove, and decided to set up camp there. It was fairly tight and the access wasnt for all. A man called Christos came down to visit us on his farm trike and give us a big jar of his olives. Our greek not being that good he ended up with a glass of chilled water. He told us that there had been terrible wind there last year and part of the beach disappeared.
we had a a very quiet night there and was disturbed by a man trying to get their boat in the water at about 3am, I think they could have been local fishermen, they were whispering and very thoughtful.

Next morning we end up moving on pretty fast has two austrian motorhomers turned up and wanted our space, we were moving on anyway.

We moved on just down the road to Methoni a beautiful place with a lovely castle and walls. We were going to stay at the port found ourselves a nice plot.

We bumped into another english couple who we have crossed paths with a couple of times. On chatting to them we decided to get our kayak out and had a few hours of fun with it. They were staying at the local municipal Methoni campsite and talked us into staying there. It was a bit of a dump really, probably the worse facilites we have stayed on, but it was right on the beach. We had another refreshing dip in the sea and Neil and Derek kayaked to the castle/fortress walls of Methoni.

We then all went out for dinner in Methoni at a lovely restarant on the beach and under the lights of the castle. It was very magical, unfortunately we misplaced our camera that day and it wasnt found till the next day, so we have no great pictures.

We are now at Gailova, we drove past Pylos the views were spectacular. There was no where to wild camp although it was made for it. There is a great Lagoon down the road that we are going to explore tomorrow. It looks really interesting and its great for birdwatching in the winter when all the birds migrate here.

We motorcycled to Pylos, but most of it was closed for lunch. We will pop back tomorrow.

The site we are at is called Erodios which his excellent, toilet facilities, laundry, food prep area all pristine. There also is beach access and they have sunloungers and parasols there and a roped of safe swimming area.
23 euros per night our dearest site, 10% discount for 3 nights or more. Great for families too. Wifi is 5 euros per 24 hours, or 2 euros for 1 hour.

Well dinner is ready must go.

Regards Pat and Neil

Wendy and John have a great time in France.

Haganap our new step is absolutely fab, its had a good workout.

More photos on our website

Link Removed

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Pat
Yet again brilliant pictures. I loved the one of Neil asleep:winky: It looks like you have having an absolute fab time. I didnt realise that the Kyak was a two person affair, I would have Neil paddling and I would be sitting back and relaxing:ROFLMAO:, Any way we are off to Germany on Tuesday so will catch up when we are all back.

Sonja

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We are now back from Greece, and guess what its hot here, must be following us around.

We had such a great time in Greece, it is really made for touring with the motorhome and wild camping.

We really enjoyed our stay at Gialova, it would be a good destination to stay a week or two, but we were running out of time.

We had to do Olympia and decided to stay at a campsite there called Alphios the owner was a real character, at first I thought a little mad, but we had the opportunity to get to know each other and yes, she was definately mad! (but a great mad). Olympia was very interesting and well worth a visit. We did a musuem before lunch, then booked into the above site and a snooze for a hour or so, then went back and did the main site at 6pm-8pm when it was a little cooler and not so busy.

We were only going to stay one night as we wanted to go up to the mountain villages on the motorcycle and had highlighted a great 200km route to do.

But that wasnt to be as Neil decided he needed to see a doctor, so our mad site owner sorted that out for us and we went to the local clinic by taxi. It was a sit and wait job, but only took 20min, however Neil needed Antibiotics and to see a doctor at Hospital.

So we decided to check out of the site and go to Prygos Hospital with the motorhome etc, we ended parking on a bit of waste ground outside the hospital, not parked very well. Anyhow in the hospital it was total disorganisation and busy, no one seemed to want to acknowledge us, and after about 20 min of waiting we had to be a bit more ascertative. We managed to find a nurse who found us a doctor who could speak english and from there he looked after us. We saw a couple of doctors who thought the best course of action was intravenous antibiotics followed by an hospital stay and maybe in a few days a minor operation,

Well I was panicking at this point thinking were would I go with the motorhome with the bike on the trailer on the back, facing the wrong was on a very busy road. Neil kept saying he wasnt that bad and didnt need to stay in hospital. We another consultant came down, let just say we call him Mr Butcher with a knife, decided to have a quick look at Neil and with no preparation at all promptly did the proceedure on neil, no local anesithetic either.

Well I heard Neil scream a few times I can tell you, when I went back around the curtain there was blood and iodine splattered everywhere up the walls on the floors etc.

They then wanted an x ray of his chest, which was nothing to do with why we were there, so we went round to xray department with drip, and blood all over Neils top and trousers. Not very hygenic to say the least. When we returned to department 1 hours later the bed where Neil had been seen to was still messy and another person in it.

We asked why he had to have an xray and was it okay, and the doctor just said because he wanted one. Apparently everyone has a chest xray, even the girl after us who had a sprained ankle.

Well they still try to hospitalise Neil, even though the main consultant said we could go and come back tomorrow. So after a little heavy discussion and the junior doctor throwing a wobbly we left.

We decided to go back to Olympia as the site was nice and shady and the owner had been helpful, just in case we had to go back in the night. Went back the next day and neils infection was on the mend. They wanted us to come back again for the next couple of days.
But we were on a deadline to meet some Dutch friends at Killini, so I ended up nursing Neils wound. We could have stayed for a few more weeks as Neils was not really up to doing the long drive home.

At Killini we stayed at the beach, the sea was lovely and the wind was up so there were some great waves to swim through. Our Dutch friends cooked us a three course meal and we had a very pleasureable few days with them. These are the Dutch people we me on the way out and had spent the first night with in Greece 5 weeks ago.

Our new sat nav died and we had to leave to Patras for the ferry home, and Ronald decided that he would lead the way and take us to the ferry, even though he was not going that way. I am sure we could have managed but he was insistent.

It never ceases to amaze us both, on meeting really great people on our travels.

Well sorry that its folks, our website is up to date. www.Greece.neilandpat.co.uk

Neil and Pat (depressed) not really!!!!!

Last edited:

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Welcome home :Smile: We have really enjoyed reading about your travels through Greece :thumb:
Great photos too!

M

Mike-H

Deleted User
Thanks for the read :) We`re planning a trip to Greece in August. Which is best - France, Switzerland, Italy, Greece or France, Belguim, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece? Do you think its possible to drive there in 7 days? One day of that will be the journey from home to France.

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Thanks for the read :) We`re planning a trip to Greece in August. Which is best - France, Switzerland, Italy, Greece or France, Belguim, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece? Do you think its possible to drive there in 7 days? One day of that will be the journey from home to France.

Hi Mike,
Our Journey was France, Belgium, Luxembourg, france, Switzerland, Italy, then boat to Greece. We chose this route as it was mostly toll free except Switzerland where we had to buy a vignettte, you may find another route cheaper as we had a 4,200kg motorhome with a bike on a trailer, so had to buy two vignettes, the second being a HGV one for the motorhome over 3500 kg. This includes the Gotthard Tunnel.

We managed it in 3 days each way, plus half a day waiting at the port in venice and leaving Ancona on the way back.

You may have to pre book the ferry, I think the company fastferries or speed ferries seem to work out cheaper from some of the motorhomers we spoke to.

Regards Pat and Neil

M

Mike-H

Deleted User
3 days! Thats some going. We`re hoping to stop each day for rest and relaxation, no great hurry. I dont mind tolls but am wary of steep hills. How much did the Alps slow you down?

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
3 days! Thats some going. We`re hoping to stop each day for rest and relaxation, no great hurry. I dont mind tolls but am wary of steep hills. How much did the Alps slow you down?

Hi yes it was going some, ended up getting home a day earlier. We did push it and had very long days. Wanted more time in Greece.

Because we went through the Gotthard Tunnel, didnt really have a problem with the Alps.

We have done some of the passes in the past, and although great fun, much prefer to do them on the motorcycle.

Kind regards

Pat and Neil.

One day we will not be in such a hurry, but need to work to have the dosh to travel.
:cry:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We are now back from Greece, and guess what its hot here, must be following us around.

We had such a great time in Greece, it is really made for touring with the motorhome and wild camping.

Well done you two.
Glad to hear that you had a great time and a safe trip. Thanks for blogging it. :winky:

Best regards,

Jock & Rita.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back