What do folks think about Concorde motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
One of the dealerships fairly close to us sells Concorde motorhomes. They look very nice but I don't seem to have read/heard much about them. Has anyone got any views?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Fantastic quality but not cheap.
We considered one a few years ago but too big for our type of travel and for us the lounge layouts just dont work.
Still very nice vans though.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I want one but my mum used to say "I want never gets":crying1:

Plus side, can do a lot of things with the saving from not buying one, like, don't go to work ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
If the dealer is on the coast in Hampshire and its name starts with "S" they appear to sell at top price. You can't buy better quality in a MH than Concorde and they are usually on a decent chassis with a generous payload. If buying, there's better value in buying second hand privately, in UK, if you can find one on sale here, or better still, through a dealer in Germany or France. The latter would save you around 20% on S********s' prices.

PS Try:- Broken Link Removed

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We had a short list of 3 which included the Concorde, Carthago and Niesmann + Bischoff. I liked the new Concorde interior but the exterior styling is dated and boxy. The price comparison made it the most expensive. I assume your dealer is Southdowns and they have Carthago too so you can do some comparisons. We chose N+B Flair because of its engineering and exterior styling, the interior is not as contemporary as the Carthago which overall I think I preferred, but the Carthago had some wierd plumbing and internal leather choice was limited to say the least. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have only ever met one Concorde owner that was not happy.
He had major electrical problems.
I then found out it was due to a aftermarket towbar electrics.
So a bit unfair to blame Concorde.
Fantastic motorhome IMO
If I was in that market it would be between Cartago & Concorde

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We had a short list of 3 which included the Concorde, Carthago and Niesmann + Bischoff. I liked the new Concorde interior but the exterior styling is dated and boxy. The price comparison made it the most expensive. I assume your dealer is Southdowns and they have Carthago too so you can do some comparisons. We chose N+B Flair because of its engineering and exterior styling, the interior is not as contemporary as the Carthago which overall I think I preferred, but the Carthago had some wierd plumbing and internal leather choice was limited to say the least. You pays your money and takes your choice.

We have a Niesmann & Bischoff Arto which we are pleased with overall but the dealership is over 400 miles away and its causing problems as we have a snagging list. We visited Southdowns recently and were impressed with the Concorde but, as I said earlier, I haven't seen any user reviews yet. We've only owned our MH for a few months and are unlikely to change it this year but I want to widen my search a bit as we both feel we'd choose a different layout next time.

There's only the two of us plus dog and another option we've been considering is the Hymer Duomobil... again though I haven't heard any feedback about them.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You know what they say when considering a new motorhome.

Layout Layout Layout

The very reason we wouldn't buy a
Concorde don't like the layouts.

Apr 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
IH N680CRL
Exp
Since 2006
As a totally bias owners, we think they are great. We've always hankered after one since we started motorhoming. Second hand ones don't come up too often especially if you want a particular layout. If you get a chance go to the Düsseldorf motorhome show where you can see all the models. Yes we have had a few snagging issues and it is quite long and high, but once you're away in it there is nothing better. We're in France at the moment. Just try and see as many models as you can, then you will know if one is right for you.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Who is in the British registered(56) N&B Flair in Menorca today?

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
I thought Concorde did van conversions? Must be a different company. The couple I've seen were panel van conversions with really high roofs. Very nice though

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nice vans, like N+B still only one dealer but possibly closer for you. The entry model Credo I now on 5 tonne IVECO chassis but up to very recently you could get it on the FIAT as well. The Carver and Charisma are also on the IVECO but the heavier 6 or 7 tonne chassis and are quite tall at just under 3.5 metres, I like the fact that they build their own dashboard so it looks more integrated into the vehicle. Most motorhomes are built using the same equipment fridge, oven, heating system, water pump etc etc and it is usually these bits that give trouble so its down to how your dealer sorts these issues that makes or breaks it.

Certainly nice vehicles and quality build so as others have said its down to finding a layout that suits you and how deep your pockets are.

Martin

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We had four on our list three of which have already been mentioned. We plumped in the end for the Frankia Platin Plus because the layout suited us and the quality just had the edge over the Carthago. N & B and Concorde are both great vehicles but we didn't like the layout as much plus the Iveco was a little agricultural on the ear when compared to the New 3litre Merc.

p.s. Southdowns have been our local dealer for years and I have nothing but good to say about them.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am told that the current IVECO mated to the ZF 8 speed torque converter auto is a cracking bit of kit, one thing I am not keen on in Mercedes based conversions is the large expanse of dashboard compared to the IVECO. But again as @Popeye says the layout has to suit.

The other top brand that is just finding its way into the UK market is Morelo, quality build and again on IVECO or Fiat.

Martin

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I am told that the current IVECO mated to the ZF 8 speed torque converter auto is a cracking bit of kit

I have heard that too, from a very knowledgeable funster colleague, as regards the huge expanse of dash board, I have that on mine but that was the only compromise and we rarely have to draw down sun visors as a result.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have heard that too, from a very knowledgeable funster colleague, as regards the huge expanse of dash board, I have that on mine but that was the only compromise and we rarely have to draw down sun visors as a result.

There will always be a compromise whatever van it is, nice drive train though with the 3ltr V6 and I assume you have the 7 speed g tronic auto box.

Martin

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
3ltr V6 and I assume you have the 7 speed g tronic auto box.

Indeed I do, we've gone over to Auto totally now, all the cars and even the Trike, it's a sign I tell thee; it's a sign of impending doom;

.................well old age anyway.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
One of the dealerships fairly close to us sells Concorde motorhomes. They look very nice but I don't seem to have read/heard much about them. Has anyone got any views?

CLASS!

Don't buy here though you will be well tucked up.....

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I would only buy in UK if it was an exceptional deal or the perfect vehicle.

I couldnt turn down the vehicle or the deal that Travelworld offered us on our current Arto, which is LHD. We have had it 4 years now, no plans at present but will allmost certainly swap it in germany or possibly belgium when the time comes.

IMO when you are looking at a german make, you will find more choice at better prices ( much better prices atm) in germany.

The downside is a lot of travelling and paperwork and for some people the LHD, personally I prefer it. I use it more in LhD countries, I have more choices where to buy and sell and I prefer to buy them as designed not compromised by conversion.

btw Concorde did start out making HT PVC's - but not just any PVC............

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Yes Martin the new ZF gearbox is great I use it in Eco mode and its smooth and effortless. I like the auto change down when going downhill, soon as you touch the brakes it drops a gear, like having a Jake, well sort of as they are awesome. Of course they are available on all Iveco chassis conversions.

Jan 13, 2008
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2008
We bought a second hand Concorde Carver from Southdowns last year and we are very impressed by both.
The Concorde is built to last with top quality materials and workmanship.
Southdowns have been there when I needed them.
At the end of our trip to Bordeaux last summer we had a warning light come on.
Southdowns replied promptly to my emails then Andy Bottle the work shop manager diagnosed over the phone that the problem was the rear air suspension.
The experts for this are Iveco so it was decided that it was easier for us to have it looked at by Haynes Trucks in Ashford who are the nearest Iveco garage to Eurotunnel.
It turned out to be a fuse!!! But it took an hour to diagnose!
The work was carried out under the southdowns 12 month warranty -
I had other "faults" which turned out to be "operator error" (I didn't know how to do it!!) and they were always helpful and patient each time I rang..
Yes you can buy cheaper in Grrmany but I am very glad we bought from Southdowns as there support has made all the difference .

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
LHD, personally I prefer it. I use it more in LhD countries, I have more choices where to buy and sell and I prefer to buy them as designed not compromised by conversion.

Exactly my reasons for going LHD

I like the auto change down when going downhill, soon as you touch the brakes it drops a gear,

The Mercedes has the same Feature, but I had to discover it for myself, salesman didn't know!

Southdowns have been there when I needed them.

I have done business with Southdowns but as yet not purchased from them, but my finding are similar to yours.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for your interesting replies.

We were impressed with Southdowns and it's certainly much closer to home.

Does anyone find the height of the Concorde a problem? I'm wondering if choosing a site is difficult. We often brush the underside of trees in our MH which is 3mt plus sat dish, etc.

Are they rear wheel drive?

Jan 13, 2008
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2008
Rear wheel drive and since that drives twin wheels it does give you a lot of grip.
Height can be interesting in the more overgrown campsites , but we just take it slow and check the route to the pitch beforehand.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Everything does seem to be getting taller, I Don't actually know why though, the latest Carver and Charisma are 3.46 metres which makes them about 150mm (6 inches) taller than our Flair, I know it's only 6 inches but for example the footbridge on the entry road to the Aire at Charleville et Mezziers is 3.4 metres so that would be a send the Mrs out to have a look moment, also some of the steel cages on sites in Spain would be too low.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We are on Playa Mazarron, they have cages allegedly at 2.8, 3.2 and 3.5. We are 3.55 with the Oyster and Solar according to N+B, not that I have double checked. So I thought we would be screwed; then walking around I saw a Concorde Liner on a Man, a Morelo on an Iveco so I thought well we must fit. With the VB suspension I dropped the van and we got on with plenty to spare. Whether that was the suspension or the cages being higher than stated to avoid the numbnuts (and you do see them) I don't know, but height was always an issue with the RV at 4 metres, 3.5 has not caused me stress so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back