Changing base vehicle lights to LED?? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Following on from a recent thread relating to exploding Hymer headlights

I have one the same and so far have not suffered the £1300 repair option !! :)

One thought seems to be the very hot daytime running lights might be to blame, they are 21W bulbs, the same as fitted as reversing lights, but they run all the time with no option on the dash board controls to turn off other than removing the bulbs, which I think I might do

As a better solution can you simply fit a LED equivalent bulb in same holder?

I know at home we have had issues with transformers needing to be changed, but have already changed all the internal lights that we could to LED

Has anybody done this on the chassis lights?

Ours is a Mercedes by the way (y)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Years ago I had a Volvo and there was a fuse to take out if you didn't want the day running lights on.

Dave

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think you should be able to turn the DRL off, on my Peugeot 107 you can due to some country's not allowing them.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
For some reason my running lights on a B544SL have not been working for some time. I presume that the bulbs have blown but in view of the heat issue I haven't bothered to investigate. No bulb warning signs have appeared, they did when a rear bulb failed so it looks like the are not connected to the failure notification system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think you should be able to turn the DRL off,

51dZr4nFOmL._SX466_.jpg

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think you should be able to turn the DRL off
Quite agree, you should be able to turn them off, but on some vehicles you can't.

Generally, I like my DRLs on, but there are times when I want to be able to have the ignition key in the 'on' position (with or without the engine running) without looking like a bl**dy Christmas tree to the rest of the world.

According to the manual, I can turn them off, but my 2013 Fiat Ducato insists otherwise. The option on the menu described in the manual does not exist on the actual vehicle.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think you should be able to turn the DRL off, on my Peugeot 107 you can due to some country's not allowing them.
I have checked in my Exsis and there does not seem to be an option to turn them off,on my old Autotrail there was an option on the Fiat mode button on the dash but they seem to not have that facility on the A class builds.
Would really be interested if someone finds an LED to fit or a switch to turn them off

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Quite agree, you should be able to turn them off, but on some vehicles you can't.

Generally, I like my DRLs on, but there are times when I want to be able to have the ignition key in the 'on' position (with or without the engine running) without looking like a bl**dy Christmas tree to the rest of the world.

According to the manual, I can turn them off, but my 2013 Fiat Ducato insists otherwise. The option on the menu described in the manual does not exist on the actual vehicle.
Try the Mode button on the dash and scroll the menu like I said there was an option on my Autotrail.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Try the Mode button on the dash and scroll the menu like I said there was an option on my Autotrail.
That's what the manual says too. Only trouble is, the option isn't there. Looks like it was there on 2012 models, but later removed.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Found these on ABD.co.uk
382 Twenty20 92 LED 12V P21W Canbus Bayonet Bulb
Customer rating:
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed (4.7) 83 reviews

Description
Delivery Prices
Reviews (83)
Specifications

Special Offer
Buy one for £15.50 or a pair for £29.99
These LED bulbs are an easy-to-fit, direct replacement for existing filament bulbs. They also have a considerably longer lifespan, draw less power, generate less heat and are FAR brighter than standard bulbs!

These bulbs are CAN-Bus compatible, meaning they can communicate with the ECU on modern cars, meaning the correct bulb behaviour, and preventing the bulb-out warning lights on your dash. In addition to all these benefits, they also have a much better vibration resistance as there is no filament to break, as well as a much faster response time.

LED bulbs outperform standard bulbs in every possible way, and for peace of mind, every bulb we sell is backed by our guarantee, having endured rigorous in-house quality tests.

The best place for LED bulbs is ABD.co.uk, and the best time to buy, is now…

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the way to fool a canbus lamp failure circuit is fit a resistor for each 'bulb' replaced. the leds which are advertised as compatible already include the resistor so are simple to replace but much more expensive

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Found these on ABD.co.uk
382 Twenty20 92 LED 12V P21W Canbus Bayonet Bulb
Customer rating:
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed (4.7) 83 reviews

Description
Delivery Prices
Reviews (83)
Specifications

Special Offer
Buy one for £15.50 or a pair for £29.99
These LED bulbs are an easy-to-fit, direct replacement for existing filament bulbs. They also have a considerably longer lifespan, draw less power, generate less heat and are FAR brighter than standard bulbs!

Looks like a good find thanks, not too sure about the much brighter bit though, 21W mounted about 1m off ground is plenty bright enough already for oncoming cars, I am prepared to be the guinea pig here

I have been right through my console options for lights and definitely can't turn them off there, but like @Xabia I got no warning lights on dash when mine went, only noticed when up behind a van could only see one light in reflection

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
the way to fool a canbus lamp failure circuit is fit a resistor for each 'bulb' replaced. the leds which are advertised as compatible already include the resistor so are simple to replace but much more expensive
Trouble is I would not know where to start or what resister to fit so probably the best solution for me is to get some of these.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like a good find thanks, not too sure about the much brighter bit though, 21W mounted about 1m off ground is plenty bright enough already for oncoming cars, I am prepared to be the guinea pig here

I have been right through my console options for lights and definitely can't turn them off there, but like @Xabia I got no warning lights on dash when mine went, only noticed when up behind a van could only se one light in reflection
Let us know how you get on,I will try and find some lower wattage.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
These are £19.99 same company and not quite so bright read the reviews
233 ABD 2 LED 12V T4W Canbus Bayonet Bulb

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
These are £19.99 same company and not quite so bright read the reviews
233 ABD 2 LED 12V T4W Canbus Bayonet Bulb
Have ordered a pair of these will let you know how I get on as soon as I have them fitted.they were £1.95 for delivery so not to expensive.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have ordered a pair of these will let you know how I get on as soon as I have them fitted.they were £1.95 for delivery so not to expensive.

Thanks, is your Hymer on a Merc chassis as well?

Are your existing DRL 21W?

Will await your report with interest (y)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
On my 2009 Fiat based Hymer, I took the DRL's out when the glass shattered, and there are no warning lights.
I had a couple of these from another car project, just tried them (arms are now scratched and shoulders wrenched)
and they seem to work, will have a better look tomorrow, no canbus.

Ebay Item 371207069655

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Presumably if they include a resistor the total power usage is the same as is the heat!!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Presumably if they include a resistor the total power usage is the same as is the heat!!
They say in the description that they are cooler.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On one of my bikes had the same issue and agree with Wino..

My answer was to simply replace the bulb in question with an LED version and fit a loading resistor downstream a bit, away from the bulb holder.

Actually, thinking about it, I have a huge pile of the resistors ( suitable for 21w replacements too ! ) still..

If anyone wants a couple just shout.. Free......

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On one of my bikes had the same issue and agree with Wino..

My answer was to simply replace the bulb in question with an LED version and fit a loading resistor downstream a bit, away from the bulb holder.

Actually, thinking about it, I have a huge pile of the resistors ( suitable for 21w replacements too ! ) still..

If anyone wants a couple just shout.. Free......

Thanks John

I am almost certainly going to opt for the more expensive bulb already sorted (or at least trust the supplier that they have been :D)

It is hard enough just getting your hands on the bulb in my MH, the idea of cutting wires and reconnecting with components and risk of water ingress etc etc fills me with fear :)

But very generous offer for those with an ounce of capability :D

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I am almost certainly going to opt for the more expensive bulb already sorted
Do you need to David? You said that you don't get any warning messages when a lamp fails, so it doesn't look as if you are going to have any CANBUS problems whether the new lamps have the resistors or not.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

But if the resistor has to draw enough current to fool the CANBUS then you get the same heat problem as before unless you mount the resistor/s some way away on long leads. If the resistor is built into the bulb there is no benefit.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
But if the resistor has to draw enough current to fool the CANBUS then you get the same heat problem as before unless you mount the resistor/s some way away on long leads. If the resistor is built into the bulb there is no benefit.

I don't really understand electronics, but can't imagine the resistor can get as hot as a 21W filament bulb that would take your skin off if you touch it. when lit or just turned off of course :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't really understand electronics, but can't imagine the resistor can get as hot as a 21W filament bulb that would take your skin off if you touch it. when lit or just turned off of course :)

21W is 21W. As long as the bulb is not touching or focussed on the headlamp then all that counts is 21W in a confined space, a bulb or a resistor will reach just about the same air temperature.

These makers may know that CANBUS needs only 10W to believe the bulb is OK and in that case you would be on a winner. Suck it and see, it's a cheap enough experiment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back