LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
We are all very quick to complain about crap service so just thought I would give a big thank you to Travelworld at Telford, and in particular their Service, Warranty and Windscreen Manager, Annabel Edwards, and to Hymer themselves.

Some of you will know that the front left headlight shattered for no apparent reason recently on my Hymer, We weren't moving when it happened and there was no impact with anything. The headlamp is an extremely costly item, about £1400, the dealer I bought the vehicle off was not interested as the van was out of warranty.

Travelworld, (via Annabel) with whom I have had no previous experience, approached Hymer on my behalf, they agreed to replace the headlamp free of charge and today Travelworld fitted it under warranty.

Massive thanks to Travelworld, Hymer and especially Annabel who arranged everything.

Can't praise them enough.

Simon(y):):clap:

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Who was the dealer that didn't help you, might be good for a heads up as obviously their customer care ain't that good, well done Travelworld.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I recall reading about spontaneous headlamp explosion before. If memory serves there was a spate of them about 5 years ago?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Great result, but as above, not necessarily name and shame, but who did you buy it from who couldn't be as bothered as Travel World

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Mine did a couple of years ago, out of warranty. I contacted Travelworld and Annabel took it up with Hymer. All sorted as with @dabhand , all done free of charge. The supplying dealer was Brownhills, but they had stopped dealing with Hymer. Can I add a word of praise for their workshop manager Eric Baxendale, another one willing to help.

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I still have to deal with the dealer I bought the vehicle off so I would prefer not to name them, they did say Travelworld had a lot more "clout" than them but they would "try" then again, nothing happened! Maybe I'll name them if I don't get the next much smaller issue resolved!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When we bought our Hymer I was warned about this risk by Edgehill, (edit we didn't buy from them, bought privately) they suggested it seemed to be happen when the glass was warm ie after driving with lights on. Suggesting fitting lamp protectors might help

I didn't and so far am still lucky

Are yours the Bi Xenon lights? mine are, so hopefully £1400 covers Bi Xenon otherwise I dread to think what they will cost :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Motorised bi xenon all in a single teardrop light unit, can't source the lens protectors as yet!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Well done Travel World. One more dealer to check out when we come to change motorhomes.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
deleted as problems are ongoing and don't want to prejudice our position

Last edited:
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I bought an new Autotrail from them last year and although they are not Autotrail dealers any more the few small problems we have had have been sorted by Annabel and one of the technicians - very good service so far. I would buy another van from them.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm currently using Premier Motorhomes Chichester for our Exsis warranty they have been excellent even though I imported from Germany.would they not be closer for you ?

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm currently using Premier Motorhomes Chichester for our Exsis warranty they have been excellent even though I imported from Germany.would they not be closer for you ?

Yes, they're a lot closer but I don't think they do Niesmann + Bischoff... Or do they?

I did ask Travelworld to nominate a local to us dealership to get the snags sorted out or for one of their technicians to come to us but got nowhere.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Your probably right I honestly don't know Ill have look.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No they don't but are NCC approved workshop so could probably do the work?

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, we may look into it. We don't want to invalidate the manufacturer's warranty though. It wouldn't be so bad if Travelworld were nearer - not their fault I know - just very inconvenient. It seems they're the sole agents for Niesmann Bischoff in the UK so we're tied in to using them.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
As a matter of interest, did the headlight unit just crack into a shattered state, no impact? which side was it.
At the time my unit shattered (parked on the drive), I was advised that all of the ones seen were the same side. It was suggested it was a manufacturing issue. If it were heat, and the lenses do get hot, then both sides would be equally vulnerable. I have since seen a few Hymers with the teardrop headlights replacing the day running light bulbs with LED's.
@DavidG58 There was a guy called Trevor Smith who made pespex covers as photo.

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 29
Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Cannot agree more. When we traded our hymer in last year via Travelworld & bought our Burstner Elegance off them, there were one or two things that Travelworld only realised needed sorting on completion.
(1) there was a crack in the windscreen.
(2) the seal on the two side double glazed windows had gone.
(3) problem with the water pump.

Annabel & the team got stuck in. A call was put in to Autoglass to replace the windscreen & both double glazed side windows
Steve then sorted the water pump, whilst also sorting a few other things he found.
We had Gaslow refillable cylinders fitted on the Hymer. Annabel had them taken out & refitted on the Burstner at no cost to us.
On our first venture out in the motorhome we discovered a leak from one of the side double glazed windows. A quick call to Annabel & 48hrs later Colin (Autoglass) came back to Travelworld & refitted the unit.
We would & have no problem in highly recommending Annabel & Travelworld to anyone. At the end of the day you get what your prepared to pay for. "Piece of mind"

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As a matter of interest, did the headlight unit just crack into a shattered state, no impact? which side was it.
At the time my unit shattered (parked on the drive), I was advised that all of the ones seen were the same side. It was suggested it was a manufacturing issue. If it were heat, and the lenses do get hot, then both sides would be equally vulnerable. I have since seen a few Hymers with the teardrop headlights replacing the day running light bulbs with LED's.
@DavidG58 There was a guy called Trevor Smith who made pespex covers as photo.

I would be very interested in that, the daytime running lights on mine (07 model) are 21W reversing light bulbs and do get very hot, both have been changed recently and the holders are both charred from the heat

Is it just a matter of buying a bulb with the same fitting but LED? sounds too easy :)

edit - To minimise the thread hijack I will start a new thread (y)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Errr....have you looked at their prices!
Possibly a lesson to be learnt here then

BUY IT CHEAP AND GET CHEAP SERVICE...............

Pay the proper price and get looked after as the supplier has a proper margin to offer good after sales

Peter

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Possibly a lesson to be learnt here then

BUY IT CHEAP AND GET CHEAP SERVICE...............

Pay the proper price and get looked after as the supplier has a proper margin to offer good after sales

Peter

Always had excellent top class service thanks, from both German and Belgian dealers..I can get the same van as that travelworld are selling for £25,000 less lhd. The rhd option is £1700 on hymer dealer option list. EU suposed to be an opep marketplace? UK dealers just take the preverbial......

So yes would be happy to pay the proper price...not £25K more! No interest in rhd anyway...

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Judgemental
Likewise could never justify buying from Travelworld no matter how good they are. Just far too expensive as you say on a mid range Hymer £25000.00 that buys a lot of service.
Not knocking Travelworld I like them as a company but never been able to get even close to a deal with them.
But they are at least professional which is more than can be said of so many motorhomer dealers in the UK.

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Just by way of contrast. After several visits to the showroom, Last September I asked Travelworld + 2 continental dealers for a quote on a new Hymer to my spec, 2 quotes arrived in 2 days. I reminded T world after a fortnight since they are our local...I'm still waiting!!! Looking forward to our Belgian van!

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Just by way of contrast. After several visits to the showroom, Last September I asked Travelworld + 2 continental dealers for a quote on a new Hymer to my spec, 2 quotes arrived in 2 days. I reminded T world after a fortnight since they are our local...I'm still waiting!!! Looking forward to our Belgian van!
I am considering buying abroad next time can you get a RH drive van in Belgium.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I once bought a personal import from a Ford dealer they sold them with 5 miles on from the secondhand showroom they couldn't get them as cheap from Ford uk as a foreign dealer you might find its not the dealers fault!!

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
We didn't want RHD, I think you can pay a bit extra for it but nor sure, try Campirama.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back