European Touring and staying Connected (1 Viewer)

TravellingCliffs

Free Member
May 15, 2008
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 1999
staying connected

There are a lot of wifi places that you will find on your way round. Macdonalds have it in nearly all of their restaurants but there are plenty of other opportunitiec. In Spain and Portugal especially there are oodles of cafe's with wifi and just as many internet cafe's. We had a 3g mobile card but never had to use it, the roaming rates are prohibitive anyway. If you know where you will be specifically drop me an email and I would be happy to help if I can, we have travelled quite extensively in the past 3 years so would be happy to pass on anything that may be useful.
Best wishes
Tony

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
If you are coming down the A20 autoroute through the Limousin then Parc Verger has free wifi - see our website Welcome to Parcverger Limousin - and there is a 10% discount from pitch charges for MHFunsters.

Wherever you go have a great time - France is a brautiful country!

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

outlaw

Free Member
Feb 7, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
2 years
European WI FI

:ROFLMAO:This is probably old news now but have only joined the site today, I have a Voafone dongle and for 3 months in Spain used pay as you go data cards 60 Euros for 1Gig. Now in Portugal 25 Euros 1 Gig but only lasts for 30 Days use. The signal has been great all down the coast of Spain fro Barcelona 3G + and the same in Portugal. i could find no information on these P as U Go Sim cards on any of the forums before we left home. I also used the Vodafone system on a contract in the UK before we came to Europe also with great success, including Scotland, Orkney, Shetland and the Western Isles

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
:ROFLMAO:This is probably old news now but have only joined the site today, I have a Voafone dongle and for 3 months in Spain used pay as you go data cards 60 Euros for 1Gig. Now in Portugal 25 Euros 1 Gig but only lasts for 30 Days use.

You dont live up tp your alias much, I am in more or less constant contact when I choose to be and dont spend a penny!!!

Its not rocket science (anymore ) USE WIFI!!!

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
WiFi is indeed the easiest way to connect, but be aware it is illegal to connect to a private Wifi without the owners consent , if caught you can be prosecuted.

Look for public Wifi, some are free, (libraries, camp sites, MacDonalds etc,) don't risk being prosecuted, WiFi routers log users and it's easy to locate an illegal user.

A UK man has been fined £500 and given a 12 months' conditional discharge for hijacking a wireless broadband connection.

On Wednesday, a jury at Isleworth court in London found Gregory Straszkiewicz, 24, guilty of dishonestly obtaining an electronic communications service and possessing equipment for fraudulent use of a communications service.

Straszkiewicz was prosecuted under sections 125 and 126 of the Communications Act 2003.

outlaw

Free Member
Feb 7, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
2 years
Hi Doug
Thanks for the reply yes WI FI is fine if you cane get out to use it when ever you want. I am using free WI FI now but often it is of poor quality especially on sites in Spain and even at McDonald's.
By the way we are "Outlaws on tour" in style; hence the mobile broadband ( it really comes from the model of out tow truck a Nissan Navara Outlaw )

Steve/Heather

ian57

Free Member
Dec 13, 2007
S Yorks
Funster No
Exp
18yrs
wifi safety

often wonder on a free wifi network e.g. mcdds how safe is it to do online banking etc on your lappy, is it very risky?? & a no no??
also same question but useing a phone network eg tmobile in uk
any chance anyone could access your details??
any one any idea's??

Ian

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
often wonder on a free wifi network e.g. mcdds how safe is it to do online banking etc on your lappy, is it very risky?? & a no no??
any one any idea's??

Ian

Interesting point as the link i posted states you need to remove your WEP security to get a connection, would be interested in the answer.:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Do not know if anybody else has made us aware of this but looks a useful link.
free-hotspot.com

Its been my experience that this kind of thing is quite well established in France,Spain and Portugal and is expanding, the idea that you can get something back from offering a completely free service is understood by many on the continent but is completely alien to the commercial interest in the UK.

For that reason I say "It will never happen in the UK" I have been pounding on about free WiFi connections on the continent for the last 12 month and I have had many responses that indicate that some people don't believe me and suggest that I am stealing or breaking the law in some way. Its understandable it of course, the idea of getting something for nothing is well and truly removed out of the UK thinking.

Doug

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
any one any idea's??

Ian

safest way is not to do it in the first place......could be an expensive mistake.

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
safest way is not to do it in the first place......could be an expensive mistake.

Is that because personally you would not risk it or a fact that acces could be gained to a persons banking details using open WIFI?. Please do not take it I am questioning your advice it is because I also have on my computer a Firewall provided by my Bank, would that not prevent rogue access anyway.:thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back