Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Want to get some photos printed to fill a multi pic frame. Thought it was about time to get some pictures off the 'puter and on view. Looked at a few sites but they have limited sizes. I need quite a variety of sizes to fill this frame. Anybody use online developing or have any recommendations please?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Almost any modern printer will give you excellent photographic quality prints.. As long as you use photographic quality paper..

using your own printer will mean you can set the size for each and every picture you print :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Are the pictures from a digital camera or scans?

What size prints do you want/need?

You will be seeing limited size options because dry lab/thermal dye sub (a proper photo print) printers usually only produce standard sizes - I can do 6x4, 7x5 and 10x8. No other sizes and thats with several grands worth of kit.

If you really need odd sizes then you need to find someone who can do full solvent prints for you. This is a type of inkjet but a million miles away from what you have at home. These printers take media on rolls so you can have any size you want.
The colour rendering will be just as good but the downsides are that the paper won't be of the same grade (too expensive for anyone to keep proper photo grade paper in roll quantities) and the colours will fade sooner than they would with a dye sub print. With my solvent machine the manufacturers guarantee the colours for 5 years on outdoor media (banners, vinyl graphics etc) so longer than that indoors.

Forget about normal water based inkjet (home printers) as the colours will start to fade within a few months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Some of the larger supermarkets and Boots (or WH Smith's) have DIY printing but I dont know how flexible with sizes they are. I know that Tesco at Hexham has one that seems to have all the bells & whistles.
Glad your cat turned up! Do you take him/her with you in the MH? If so could do with a few tips as we are considering taking our Thomas with us. We have got as far as taking him in a travel crate, attaching a harness & 'walking' him a few yards. Our problem is that he lives outside most of the time & don't know if he would use a litter tray?
Sorry for hijacking your thread.

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
They are a mix from tablets, phones and my digital SLR. I didn't realise it was so complicated!! Think I'll pop them on a stick and drop them off somewhere in town that does developing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Er,that was 15 yrs ago lol-but they used to print digital pics onto standard photo paper as far as I remember.

Different processes and slightly different paper but yes, kind of. I don't think they're using a dry lab now for some of the effects they offer. I might have to order something from them to see if they're up to scratch and how their prices compare :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
http://www.loxleycolour.com/
I used to use this Lab when I was working,but there's several professional labs who will print any sizes you want.(y)
Er,that was 15 yrs ago lol-but they used to print digital pics onto standard photo paper as far as I remember.

Different processes and slightly different paper but yes, kind of. I don't think they're using a dry lab now for some of the effects they offer. I might have to order something from them to see if they're up to scratch and how their prices compare :D

Just registered to have a look at the pricing structure and they seem incredibly, almost impossibly, cheap for dry lab prints. My guess is they they are using a latex or solvent machine, especially with the huge number of sizes on offer and the different print finishes. Nothing whatsoever wrong with that of course as long as they are using decent kit and achieving good results. If what they are producing is up to scratch I could almost use them for my work, stick a mark up on their prices and stay at home all day :D

I'm going to order half a dozen in various finishes just out of curiosity when I get 5 minutes.

@parknride if you do order from them can you post back here with your impressions of the quality of the print and the paper used just out of interest.

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Yes will do. I'm not an affiocionado though so my "great" might be your "poor":)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back