Not Happy, Autotrail Delaware 1 Year Old Failed Habitation Check - Damp (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Well to say i am not happy would be an understatement, my 12 month old Autotrail Delaware has just failed the Habitation check due to "significant amount of damp" offside in the garage area.

Since i purchased this last November i have had issue after issue with this vehicle and although they have been relatively minor they all take a considerable amount of effort to repair due to the distance we are from the dealers.

I do not expect any kind of damp in a 12 month old vehicle, Autotrail are just blaming normal unforseen events that can just happen. There is some serious lack of quality control on Autotrail's side for these vehicles. This could be the end of our relationship with Autotrail as now i am seriously considering getting shot of it. All the issues just mount up and i am very near the point of just tipping over and resolving the issues once and for all.

I am sure there will be issues with any motorhomes but without going into a full list i have now covered over 3000 miles in just repair work since purchase. Totally unacceptable, i need a manufacturer who actually cares about quality control and that doesn't appear to be a British one.

Rant over.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
VERY COMMON... !!
Mine had up to 40% and a leaking Heki at it's first Hab check.
There are lots of reports about AT's and leak issues :( Mine was a 2012 so things have not improved.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
VERY COMMON... !!
Mine had up to 40% and a leaking Heki at it's first Hab check.
There are lots of reports about AT's and leak issues :( Mine was a 2012 so things have not improved.

Not acceptable i am afraid, i expect this on older vehicles not on vehicles that are pretty new, this is Autotrails issue and although they are of course going to fix it that is not the point. I have lost faith in this company so I think it is now time to move on but as always that will depend on what money i have lost on mine which i am expecting to be a lot.

Tonka-what have you got now?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Tonka-what have you got now?

Still have same van Apache 700... Keep looking at others but either cant find anything I like or the one's I do like then my arm's wont reach down far enough to my wallet..

My previous van was the same but a 2005 model. much better built as at 7 years no damp..!
You are not alone, many Autotrail owners are looking elsewhere BUT then you hear horror stories on other brands as well.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Still have same van Apache 700... Keep looking at others but either cant find anything I like or the one's I do like then my arm's wont reach down far enough to my wallet..

My previous van was the same but a 2005 model. much better built as at 7 years no damp..!
You are not alone, many Autotrail owners are looking elsewhere BUT then you hear horror stories on other brands as well.

Catch 22 then, i am just shocked at the lack of interest by Autotrail, just would of expected to be a lot more concerned. They must get so many that they are used to hearing about it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We now have a rule.. Never buy a van that is less than 8 years old.. ( at the moment at least )

2007 seems to be almost a cut off year for quality builds..
And of course there is also the point that something 8 years old SHOULD have had all and any 'normal' issues sorted out

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
We now have a rule.. Never buy a van that is less than 8 years old.. ( at the moment at least )

2007 seems to be almost a cut off year for quality builds..
And of course there is also the point that something 8 years old SHOULD have had all and any 'normal' issues sorted out

But John, before that cut off point chances are you wouldn't be the proud owner of superduper LED moodlighting;)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You would.

The previous owner will have fitted it, and many more bits and bobs as well.

Martin

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The last 2 vans have been new thinking that would be better but there is clearly a fine line with this. You shouldnt have to buy 2nd hand to get a quality finish/van.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Autotrail are owned by the same company that makes EuraMobil, Chausson and Roller Team among others.
They are French owned and some say that was when it all started going pear shaped.

:cooler:

That's interesting i didnt know that, food for thought though.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So out of interest who makes the most reliable motorhome? I realise this is an open ended question which will be open to interpretation based on individual experiences but I have to start somewhere. If i want to look at getting shot of this one and getting another, i want to know roughly which ones to aim for. I know there will be issues with anything but the amount i have had gone wrong with Autotrail far exceed what i consider to be acceptable.

I am looking for a similar design to the one we have but may consider tag axle as i dont have a restriction on what I can drive. There are only 2 of us so no need for additional beds aside from the island bed we would be after.

The main makes seems to be:

Hymer
Rapido
Dethleffs
Burnster
Frankia

Obviously not looking at any British makers, anybodys view of actually owning any of these welcome, the more information the easier it will be when choosing.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Can only speak as I find. Our Rapido A class bought new in 2008 has had only minor problems. A leaking window, easily removed and refitted and a bathroom door lock, repaired by a local locksmith. The upholstery and body are as new after 60000 miles. Would I buy another Rapido. Absolutely yes.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Carthago are worth consideration
Forgot about about the Cathargo's, i will be going to the NEC in a few weeks so will be looking at a lot there. Hard to know which factory they are built in though as to if they are good or bad.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We love our new Carthago - build quality is excellent. No electrical problems as previously mentioned, infact the electrical installation that I can see has been done with very good quality fitments, and very professionally installed. The ride is VERY comfortable.
Discounts are available if you go to the right dealer too

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We love our new Carthago - build quality is excellent. No electrical problems as previously mentioned, infact the electrical installation that I can see has been done with very good quality fitments, and very professionally installed. The ride is VERY comfortable.
Discounts are available if you go to the right dealer too
Thanks useful to know, which dealer did you purchase yours from ? did you part ex or buy straight out as i expect this will affect the price?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks useful to know, which dealer did you purchase yours from ? did you part ex or buy straight out as i expect this will affect the price?
We got ours from Premium Motorhomes in Bawtry, near Doncaster.
We sold our 12 month old van privately on Ebay, though they do have a service whereby they will sell your van on their forecourt for a charge, once sold.
Hope this helps?

Robert

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We got ours from Premium Motorhomes in Bawtry, near Doncaster.
We sold our 12 month old van privately on Ebay, though they do have a service whereby they will sell your van on their forecourt for a charge, once sold.
Hope this helps?

Robert
Thanks, i will consider all options at this point.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Autotrail are owned by the same company that makes EuraMobil, Chausson and Roller Team among others.
They are French owned and some say that was when it all started going pear shaped.:cooler:
We thought that Trigano owned Chausson but having talked to the french representative of Chausson at the NEC Show a couple of years ago we understand that Trigano Group are the buying group but Chausson is an independent company ?! List of all Trigano Group brands:
  • Broken Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I spent a fair amount of time with a Carthago owner earlier this year discussing all the electric related issues he has suffered

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I spent a fair amount of time with a Carthago owner earlier this year discussing all the electric related issues he has suffered
Just out of interest how old was the van?
What were the issues?

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Changed my 2013 Autotrail Mohawk for a Hymer B614 SL back in May.

It was my second Autotrail, both bought brand new, and I must say that I didn't really have any major problems with either.

However, the Hymer (which is a 2013 model) is head and shoulders above them. My first impression was how much quieter it was in terms of road noise and noise from the habitation area.

Both are 3.0 litre 180bhp but the Hymer is an Alko chassis. I think the whole package, including the build quality of the Hymer bodywork all contribute to the huge difference in noise.

The Hymer is much more comfortable to live in; the lounge is built to sit on and not built to make into a bed. It was probably one of the main reasons we changed.

Hymer are relatively expensive but not quite as expensive as some. I looked extensively at Rapidos before swapping, which are a little cheaper for the same sort of van but are probably better value for money.

Do I regret swapping my Autotrail for a Hymer?
Not one little bit and I'll probably keep this one for a good few years.

Mike

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just out of interest how old was the van?
What were the issues?
About 18 months old.. Various and repeated charging issues was the main discussion points, though there were others too

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Hymer
Rapido
Dethleffs
Burnster
Frankia

Obviously not looking at any British makers, anybodys view of actually owning any of these welcome, the more information the easier it will be when choosing.

I agree with your list but I would add Knaus to it - excellent vans and the most popular make in Germany (so I'm told)

Our last van was a Rapido and our new one is a Knaus - love it!! :)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I agree with your list but I would add Knaus to it - excellent vans and the most popular make in Germany (so I'm told)

Our last van was a Rapido and our new one is a Knaus - love it!! :)
Thoughts on the Rapido and Knaus? why did you change ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So out of interest who makes the most reliable motorhome? I realise this is an open ended question which will be open to interpretation based on individual experiences but I have to start somewhere. If i want to look at getting shot of this one and getting another, i want to know roughly which ones to aim for. I know there will be issues with anything but the amount i have had gone wrong with Autotrail far exceed what i consider to be acceptable.

I am looking for a similar design to the one we have but may consider tag axle as i dont have a restriction on what I can drive. There are only 2 of us so no need for additional beds aside from the island bed we would be after.

Hymer
Rapido
Dethleffs
Burnster
Frankia

You can add Pilote to that group as well. Same company as Frankia, not as posh but good vans. Adria are worth a look as well

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back