Thule awning panels anyone used? (2 Viewers)

Deleted User
We are looking at getting a privacy room to use with our Thule 6200 omnistore awning.
Has anyone got these? There seems to be the rain blockers or sun blockers, would probably need to be the rain blockers to ensure the dogs don't escape.
Wondering if they are easy to store, exactly how small do they pack away, do they stay up in windy conditions?
We have a pvc an Autotrail vline which is tall 2.8m.

If anyone has used them would welcome their opinions.

Hopefully will go to see them at the NEC later in the month.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We bought Lilipad windblockers... Absolutely brilliant ! They have the internal drop down liners and they proved to be waterproof in torrential and I do mean torrential rain. They have many peg down points at the bottoms so should contain a dog. That said none will contain a dog if its determined enough.
Not cheap but the best by miles .. Our van is PVC also ...

In this picture the rear panel has the inside pull down screen up.
On the side panel its down.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted User
H
We bought Lilipad windblockers... Absolutely brilliant ! They have the internal drop down liners and they proved to be waterproof in torrential and I do mean torrential rain. They have many peg down points at the bottoms so should contain a dog. That said none will contain a dog if its determined enough.
Not cheap but the best by miles .. Our van is PVC also ...

Hi yes have seen ads for these too, so could be an option if the Thule are too short.
I noticed on their website you can arrange a visit to them, did you visit?

Lin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
H
Hi yes have seen ads for these too, so could be an option if the Thule are too short.
I noticed on their website you can arrange a visit to them, did you visit?

Lin
We went to the Malvern show.. Dopey here had measured the width of the Omnistor and how far it winds out. The critical measurement is the height of the Omnistor body to the ground. Our one is the same as yours.

OP
OP

Deleted User
We went to the Malvern show.. Dopey here had measured the width of the Omnistor and how far it winds out. The critical measurement is the height of the Omnistor body to the ground. Our one is the same as yours.
That's our main concern the measurements, looks great though will look at bookings a visit to them. Thanks

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
They build in quite a scope for height differences. The Omnistor rail may be 2.700 but the ground can go up or down. So plenty of scope is built in.

They will want just the width of the Omnistor and the height.

All the best with it !!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
We have them, the side panels come with a rafter that makes everything more solid, then we have three front panels that clip together. They all clip together and peg down both sides, don't have a dog but for most I would think fairly self containing - though you will need the wheel skirts.

Got ours from Obelink, we went to the store in Holland whilst passing "close", saved a fortune as £ ~ € direct conversion. They have UK and Dutch website, I don't need to say which one is cheaper.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Well it seems both Thule and Lillipad will be at the NEC. Think will do a day visit on the Tue as there is a cc offer in their mag for that day £6 a ticket can buy on the door with coupon. Will be good to compare the two.

Lin :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Well it seems both Thule and Lillipad will be at the NEC. Think will do a day visit on the Tue as there is a cc offer in their mag for that day £6 a ticket can buy on the door with coupon. Will be good to compare the two.

A bit of info....

Lilipad supply "free" the poles the end sections hang on. They are hopeless.. You can buy top quality replacements that I think are line props.. Im sure someone will fill in the information gap but the standard free ones are useless.

There is the option of using the Thule Rafter bars but these too are really very poor. Very surprising when we consider Thule make top quality kit !

Another option is the Fiamma rafter bar. Now these are excellent and work very well indeed with the Thule Omnistor.

W have two very good quality line prop ones purchased from Parotsol (Jezsport on here) at the Malvern show. These are used to hang the end sections on.

We have a Fiamma Rafter bar and use that to brace and support the Omnistor awning . You can also hang a nice LED light on this.
Link to Fiamma rafter
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAMMA-TE...5-087-Poles-/271327082621?hash=item3f2c5ab87d

There are a a couple of straps which feed into the channel the front section threads into. These are brilliant as they are the points for the straps you strap the awning down with. They are about £15 and Lilipad sellers will supply these.

Lastly there a a series of hoops along the bottoms of all the sections. These require pegging down. Many thread a bamboo cane or similar though the hoops and peg at three points. One each end of each cane and one in the middle.

Our complete set up of the three sections with drop down interior screens plus the replacement bars for the end sections plus the strap down straps came in at 350 quid.

The Fiamma rafter was 30 nicker off Ebay.

Not cheap but the quality is excellent and trust me I am very fussy !

HTH.

OP
OP

Deleted User
@Charlie thanks for the information I will print it off to take to the NEC so I am well prepared to look at the options. Especially the rafter bars advice. Nige

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Good evening, have a look at the mobelink site, some good prices there.
Bought an end panel a little while ago. Good quality & fast delivery from Holland.
Barrie

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Good evening, have a look at the mobelink site, some good prices there.
Bought an end panel a little while ago. Good quality & fast delivery from Holland.
Barrie
Any chance of a link to the exact site?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
The rafters that come with the side panels are substantial. The site is Obelink.nl, it gives you the option of the UK site but the nl site is cheaper. And if you ever get the chance to visit the superstore do - have never seen such a range of kit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have Lilly pad and we got some beading sewn on to top of sides so that they slide into the Fiamma clip system end rafters that we have they work a treat and really stiffen up the ends by holding roof and sides together like the front.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for all the info guys esp Charlie, we will look at both at NEC, though the Lillipad ones look like a better option as they ae made to order so we can get extra long sides and Xtra tabs for pinning down, to contain the dogs better.

Lin:)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Pictures please ?
When we get it out and put it on I will take some prices to post it's very simple though it's just straight forward beading To fit the channel cut length of side and then sewn on to top edge.
The Fiamma clip system is a bit expensive but comes with everything including telescopic poles (good quality)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
What the Thule side panel and substantial rafter that comes with it offers over the rest is an integrated channel that the side panel slides into, others seem to clip over with tabs.

The tension rafter I would agree is useless, if you look at the third picture in this link you can see how the Thule one works http://www.obelink.nl/voortenten-luifels/luifels-fiamma-omnistor/rain-blocker-side.html

Together with the tie down kit the whole thing becomes a lot more solid, we looked at the quickfit but realised that the wind could still get under the awning.

DSC_0026 (3).jpg

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks for all the info guys esp Charlie, we will look at both at NEC, though the Lillipad ones look like a better option as they ae made to order so we can get extra long sides and Xtra tabs for pinning down, to contain the dogs better.

Lin:)

Our ones have lots of spare at the bottom. They are made with quite a bit of range to cope with slight differences in the height of the Onistor on the van and the ground..

Good luck with it let us know how you get on !

OP
OP

Deleted User
Well we checked out Thule, although seemed very good quality, expensive. So we are now the proud owners of a set of Lillipads windbreaks with inner membranes. Pack away very small and light so able to carry along with the drive away awning we have to give options.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We do the fully waterproof ones and as @Charlie said earlier we sell good rafter poles. We are not doing the NEC but we are only in Leeds so you are welcome to come over and have a look at our panels as seen on our website http://www.parrotsol.co.uk/

We love using our panels as they are easy to fit, let lots of light in and can be packed away wet without fear of damage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back