Duped, ok not Duped, by Mr and Mrs french. (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are at an Aire having paid €3.50 by credit card for a nights stay.
We were approached this morning by our neighbour's who we could hardly understand.
They finally got through that they had overstayed their ticket by 10 minutes and could they use ours to get out as ours was still valid. The notice says you can go and come back in as often as you like.
There are 3 other french vans on site. One who came in an hour after us. Why didn't they ask them for their ticket? Why not indeed the other 2 who they had been together all afternoon and evening sharing drinks. I think its a way of staying longer and not paying the €3.50 every night. What do you think. They could have used their friends tickets it the other french van to ask for their tickets. Why us, foreigners who could hardly understand?

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
No. Not really. In the grand scheme of things. I might need help in the future! !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We are at an Aire having paid €3.50 by credit card for a nights stay.
We were approached this morning by our neighbour's who we could hardly understand.
They finally got through that they had overstayed their ticket by 10 minutes and could they use ours to get out as ours was still valid. The notice says you can go and come back in as often as you like.
There are 3 other french vans on site. One who came in an hour after us. Why didn't they ask them for their ticket? Why not indeed the other 2 who they had been together all afternoon and evening sharing drinks. I think its a way of staying longer and not paying the €3.50 every night. What do you think. They could have used their friends tickets it the other french van to ask for their tickets. Why us, foreigners who could hardly understand?

Are you sure it wasn't a Yorkshire accent they had.....:)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Errrr... don't quite agree. I find them quite cheeky, they could have proposed to share the price of the ticket. They would have had to buy a brand new one if there hadn't been any foreigner to...fool....., so still worth to pay half!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Trish,
We had the same in Brittany earlier this month at St Gildas de Rhuys, 6 euros a night.
a french gent asked as we were leaving could he have or use or card as his had expired, as it happened we would have been OK with this but as we had just used the ticket to leave and the machine has various buttons to press & one of these is press if not returning(within allotted time as there was still 8 hours on it) we had already pressed said button.
I am now thinking he might have been over staying!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Always help fellow travellers if we can might get a favour back one day.

Well , to be very honest, I would have gone opposite way : I (being M. or Mrs French) would have bought a brand new ticket, and THEN, I would have gone to see Trish and Terry and say: Just bought this new ticket, any chance it could help you having another night here?
Then I would think I 've helped. But I can't imagine myself knocking at anyone's door and ask for their ticket.
JJ would probably say (cynical tone ).... Have you made sure they don't need your money to carry on travelling...??? :rolleyes:
.....:blush:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If the barrier is a clever one it may let a vehicle out but not a second one unless the code has been used first to let the first vehicle back in again.

But on a related theme we filled up with water this morning at an aire and as soon as we finished a guy rushed up with a big water container and filled it before the time limit ran out!

It would be rude to specify his nationality. :)

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've seen that a few times. Especially the one in Quarteira, he used to hover around the water dispenser. Never paid for water.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Not a problem.
Mate and i, season tickets to the local swimming pool,when it was busy you were only allowed 30mins,so,change,take basket with clothes in to cloakroom and get a disc with a number on. In around about 40 mins,a bell would ring and the numbers on a slate would be paraded,those had to get out.
So,out,get your basket and look along the line of people waiting to hand in their baskets for a swim,find a normal sort of chap and ask if he could hand in your basket with his,worked every time,however,the conversation would often end like this." OUR! number is ***,when this number is called,BE HERE,otherwise i will chuck your basket in the pool". We NEVER went home in wet clothes.
Tea Bag

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Watched similar at Laruns aire (France) last week, barrier entry /exit two vans, barrier goes up both vans quickly drive in, together .and join a group of other vans. Mostly elderly occupants ,so maybe it was a bogof pensioner deal :) they certainly looked like it was a practiced move (y)

Deleted User
Always help fellow travellers if we can might get a favour back one day.

We were specifically told not to help a group of "fellow travellers" who had overstayed a Lourdes (and locked in by the owners)

They spoke with an Irish accent, and claimed discrimination as soon as the Gendarmes arrived.

Unfortunately the owner kept calling them British :mad:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We were specifically told not to help a group of "fellow travellers" who had overstayed a Lourdes (and locked in by the owners)

They spoke with an Irish accent, and claimed discrimination as soon as the Gendarmes arrived.

Unfortunately the owner kept calling them British :mad:

Wouldn't help them either there was a bunch in Nuremburg about 6 caravans full of em. Plus the transits full of scrap washing machines and tree cuttings.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I've seen that a few times. Especially the one in Quarteira, he used to hover around the water dispenser. Never paid for water.

This winds me up! Bloody cheapskate! Puts the aire at risk as the owners will be out of pocket on the water!

Had the same at a lovely aire at Cap D'Adge when the French cheapskate and his wife rushed back and fore with every container they could find in their MoHo. I shut the door which should have locked after their big container was full but they got it open again and carried on for ages. I mean its a Euro or two which is peanuts. How low can you sink in being mean!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back